Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I was more than happy for us to qualify for Europe again in any format. Consistent euro qualification is massive if we want to sustain our success, I just didn’t ever expect it would/could be champions league this season. Unai is God!

• Like 2

Moving away from the race for fourth for a moment, does anyone KNOW how important various results in Europe are this week and next?

Man City vs Real Madrid

Arsenal vs Bayern Munich

Liverpool vs Atlanta

West Ham vs Bayer Leverkusen

Villa vs Lille

Obviously the key ties are the games vs German teams... But how vital are they exactly? Can we afford one team to lose, both? Can they all win and yet still be messed up by shocks for Liverpool and, less so given the opposition, Man City?

And who, really are favourites? Man City's draw feels very tricky. Are West Ham under dogs? Arsenal got a chance vs Bayern?

All feels very knife edge for CL 5th spot, is there anywhere where predictions will give you an outcome? For example, I can see Arsenal, Liverpool and us progressing, but Man City and West Ham going out... Where would that leave it?

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Moving away from the race for fourth for a moment, does anyone KNOW how important various results in Europe are this week and next?

Man City vs Real Madrid

Arsenal vs Bayern Munich

Liverpool vs Atlanta

Villa vs Lille

Obviously the key ties are the games vs German teams... But how vital are they exactly? Can we afford one team to lose, both? Can they all win and yet still be messed up by shocks for Liverpool and, less so given the opposition, Man City?

And who, really are favourites? Man City's draw feels very tricky. Are West Ham under dogs? Arsenal got a chance vs Bayern?

All feels very knife edge for CL 5th spot, is there anywhere where predictions will give you an outcome? For example, I can see Arsenal, Liverpool and us progressing, but Man City and West Ham going out... Where would that leave it?

We need the Germans to lose! 

4 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Man City vs Real Madrid

Arsenal vs Bayern Munich

Liverpool vs Atlanta

Villa vs Lille

Atletico v dortmund is one to watch as well

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

So I have looked at a few different scenarios 

Scenario 1 - Man City, Bayern, Liverpool, Leverkusen, Ath Madrid, Villa go through

Scenario 2 - Madrid, Bayern, Liverpool, Leverkusen, Ath Madrid, Villa go through

Scenario 3 - Madrid, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leverkusen, Ath Madrid, Lille go through

Scenario 4 - Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leverkusen, Ath Madrid, Villa go through

Assume whoever goes through gets a draw away from home and a win at home

Current points totals are as follows

Germany - 16.357

England - 16.250

I’ve ignored the points totals of the non German/English teams below

Scenario 1 

Man City - 0.500 points in total

Bayern - 0.571 points

Arsenal - 0.125

Liverpool - 0.500 

Leverkusen - 0.571

West Ham 0.125

Dortmund - 0.143

Villa - 0.375

Germany - 17.660

England - 17.875

England have 3 teams and Germany have 2 teams through. Man City v Bayern in the semi is the deciding game you would think in that scenario. 

Scenario 2

Bayern - 0.571

Man City - 0.125

Liverpool - 0.500

Leverkusen - 0.571

West Ham - 0.125

Dortmund - 0.143

Villa - 0.375

Germany - 17.642

England - 17.375

In this scenario you are relying on Madrid to beat Bayern and Villa and Liverpool to get to/win their finals

Scenario 3

Man City - 0.125

Arsenal - 0.500

Bayern - 0.143

Liverpool - 0.500

Leverkusen - 0.571

West Ham - 0.125

Dortmund - 0.143

Villa - 0.125

Germany - 17.214

England - 17.5

In this scenario, you only have Leverkusen left who can get a maximum of 1.142 points for Germany if they win the whole thing. You’d be relying on Liverpool or Arsenal to get to the final/win it

Scenario 4 - probably the most likely scenario 

Man City - 0.500

Arsenal - 0.500

Bayern - 0.143

Liverpool - 0.500

Leverkusen - 0.571

West Ham - 0.125

Dortmund - 0.143

Villa - 0.375

Germany - 17.214

England - 18.25

In this scenario, only Leverkusen left with a maximum of 1.142 points available - i.e. max Germany can get is 18.356. England would just need to draw one game to get 2nd place in this scenario. I am discounting France and Spain as they are so far behind. 

Amazing work!

So, to summarise (I think!) using your entirely sensible Draw/Win legs average;

If Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool or West Ham go through, add 0.5 to England's score

If they go out, add 0.125

If Bayern Munich, Leverkusen or Dortmund go through, add 0.571

If they go out, add 0.143

Villa... I'm unsure why we're different but 0.375 for a win... For a loss?

This is added on to;

England 16.250 and Germany 16.357.

So my feeling is Real Madrid, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leverkusen, Dortmund and Villa through... 

England 16.250 + 0.125 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.125 + 0.375 = 17.875

Germany 16.357 + 0.143 + 0.571 + 0.571 = 17.642

Gonna be tight... When did football start involving so much maths?! 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Amazing work!

If Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool or West Ham go through, add 0.5 to England's score

This is added on to;

So my feeling is Real Madrid, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leverkusen, Dortmund and Villa through... 

Villa get less as UECL doesn’t get the extra bonus point for progression to the next round until the semis. So the 1/8 = 0.125 isn’t added on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Amazing work!

This is added on to;

Usually Villa are part of new things. We were the first FA cup runners up not to qualify to Europe. Then we went to the League Cup final which was the first to qualify for a new tournament (UECL). 
And now we’re on the race of going to CL for the first time, yet it’s having a possibility of 5th for the first time, add to that the new format. 
Then again once we made it to Europe again, we made it in the last year of the ol format, and shall be in Europe for the new format, despite not being their for years.

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Usually Villa are part of new things. We were the first FA cup runners up not to qualify to Europe. Then we went to the League Cup final which was the first to qualify for a new tournament (UECL). 
And now we’re on the race of going to CL for the first time, yet it’s having a possibility of 5th for the first time, add to that the new format. 
Then again once we made it to Europe again, we made it in the last year of the ol format, and shall be in Europe for the new format, despite not being their for years.

And I think we are the last club to finish 6th and not qualify for any European competition (2003-04)

10 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Man City vs Real Madrid

Arsenal vs Bayern Munich

Liverpool vs Atlanta

Villa vs Lille

So many questions 

54 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

And I think we are the last club to finish 6th and not qualify for any European competition (2003-04)

Wasn't that because some shitters got to the FA cup final? Millwall if I remember?

36 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Wasn't that because some shitters got to the FA cup final? Millwall if I remember?

Was the first year that the FA Cup runner up got a European place instead of the league 

When they knocked it on the head guess who were runners up in the FA Cup and didn't get Europe? 

One of them quirky villa things 

If West Ham win the euopa league they will get a champions league spot But 5th place team won't? That's my understanding of the new rules. 

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If West Ham win the euopa league they will get a champions league spot But 5th place team won't? That's my understanding of the new rules. 

No both would get Champs League