Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Lets face it.

With our full strength side we hammer those thugs 3 or 4 nil.

When your having to resort to handballs and scrapping on the line to score goals you know your shite.

Were levels above.

Edited by AshVilla

Importantly our subs for the 2nd away game in a row have made a massive difference. This bodes well for the run-in. Gives Diaby and Zaniolo some confidence. Ramsey hopefully back after the break too. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Yep agreed, I think although we want to win every game. Given the suspensions, injuries and schedule that was a solid point. 

Even if we draw with Wolves it isn't the end of the world.

It would mean 4 other wins might be enough.

We're at that end of the season now, where it's down to fine margins. Every team that has something to play for is going be scrapping desperately for every point. Injuries and suspensions will start to mount up. It's no longer about stylish play, it's about who has the staying power - and luck - to get over the line. A different kind of test for Unai and the players - time to dig deep. We've come a long way to get to this, just hold on to your hats and let's see what happens. 

The ghost of Ron Saunders is watching. Do you want to bet against us? 

• Like 3

We're in a better position now relative to Spurs than if both we and Spurs had have won, which considering most were presuming Spurs would win, is better than most were expecting at the start of the weekend. We also now have a better goal difference than Spurs

• Like 2

That Champions League music is going to sound so sweet when they play it over the tannoy. Today feels like a good step closer to sealing top 5. A win over Wolves and a defeat for United after the international break and I would feel like we are almost there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d feel physically sick if this happened.

More annoying would have been if Man U got 4th and we got 5th but because of their absolutely dog turd performance in the champions league 5th wasn't a spot

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Last 5 games - 

Spurs - 9 points

Man U - 9 points

Villa - 10 points

League positions are stable - reasonable to think they will continue this way

Still just as stable when you extend it to last 10 (which covers all our games after the boxing day defeat to United): Spurs and us both have 17, United have 19.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Man U look awful. Not sure if I want them to win tho. Could do with them having a semi final to worry about.

They've got Liverpool at home again in three weeks if that helps. If they're going to get anywhere near us they're going to have to win that.