Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

There are times I'd not take 70% as anything certain: like if I was playing Russian roulette.

As I don't have a revolver nearby, I'd snatch your hand off at 70% odds for 5 teams in UCL right now. As I've said elsewhere, take a look at how every other club in their first year in Europe from England did this year, take a look at how West Ham handled UECL last year regarding their league position, and get back to me at what a colossal failure finishing outside UCL will be.

We are so, so far ahead of any realistic curve of club growth in the FFP era you'd possibly imagine and some of you paint us as if we're worse off than either team from Sheffield, looking relegation in the face.

Cheer up, dammit. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun.

Edited by 479Villan
  • Like 3

Also if anyone wants some hope then read some of the threads from last season or even beginning of this season predicting where we would finish. Top 6 would be a dream was uttered by many. 

• Like 1

It's about perception and direction.

I kind of get where @cvbyrne is coming from, 2024 does feel we've jumped from one disastrous result to long term injury to significant suspension and poor luck outside Villa. And that depressing trajectory is hard to combat, regardless of where you feel you could and should be.

Get a draw when losing 1-0 til the 92nd minute and you're elated, get a draw when you're winning in that situation and you're distraught. Still a draw. We end 6th having been much higher than that most the season and a lot will be upset, but had we repeated last season and been racing up the table and steal sixth and we're delighted.

But perhaps, more simply, we should just do what we can and see what happens as regards league position and coefficients. Just take care of ourselves and what we can control. Everything else is just noise in either way, positive or negative.

I'm far more concerned about OUR form, injuries and suspensions than who Man Utd have to play or whether it'd be better if two German teams were playing each other in Europe.

Turn around our 2024 first, worry about everything else if it becomes relevant!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

It's about perception and direction.

This after storming into the quarter finals of a European competition for the first time in 26 years!

One other thing about pessimists, is that because their pessimism is not logically-driven, it doesn't even cohere internally. On a weekend like last weekend, where we lose and Man Utd win, you see some posters saying confidently that means they are definitely going to overtake us and we are going to finish 6th or even worse. Then those same people will be stressing about the UEFA coefficients in midweek. But if you're *convinced* Utd are going to finish ahead of us, you should *want* England to fail to get the 5th spot. After all, it would be pretty funny if Utd win 8 or 9 of their remaining ten games and do everything they need to, and then don't get CL because Liverpool and City get knocked out early. Obviously our demise would still be very disappointing, but that schadenfreude would compensate for at least some of the pain. 

• Like 2

I feel a bit sad for CVByrne because being unable to enjoy this season for what it is is a great shame. 

I'll probably do what I call "emotional hedge betting" as the season goes on where I bet against us winning so if we lose, at least my sportsbet account is happy.

But we're terrified about falling to 6th or 5th and England missing out on the 5th CL spot. At the moment we're 4th and England are in a very strong position in Europe. Man United have been trash this season and Spurs aren't that reliable either. We've had runs of good and bad luck. Plenty to be excited about. 6th would give us a Europa League place and we'd still end up with some massive European nights. It'd be a bit disappointing but it's not fatal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we get three/four points over the next two games we’ll be just fine. We need to bunker down for these next three games without McGinn and then reassess after this period. At least with Konsa and Pau fully back we should be more defensively solid. 

@CVByrne It is great to have passionate fans and that will never come without emotion. I sense that you're living this season like you were out there yourself and that's great. 

If i can offer some unsolicited advice. 

Competing among the best is always beyond making up the numbers. It's turbulent. It's testing. And it's how you face disappointment and defeat when it's staring at you that matters most. 

UTV!

You learn more in defeat than in victory so whatever happens we will be stronger for it mentally or financially.

It's bloody exciting all we can do as fans is get behind the boys.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One other thing about pessimists, is that because their pessimism is not logically-driven, it doesn't even cohere internally. On a weekend like last weekend, where we lose and Man Utd win, you see some posters saying confidently that means they are definitely going to overtake us and we are going to finish 6th or even worse. Then those same people will be stressing about the UEFA coefficients in midweek. But if you're *convinced* Utd are going to finish ahead of us, you should *want* England to fail to get the 5th spot. After all, it would be pretty funny if Utd win 8 or 9 of their remaining ten games and do everything they need to, and then don't get CL because Liverpool and City get knocked out early. Obviously our demise would still be very disappointing, but that schadenfreude would compensate for at least some of the pain. 

It's also illogical because it's such low percentages.

The stats show that we're more than likely to get 5th, and 5th will more than likely be a CL place.

Yet a few people are utterly convinced it won't happen

We basically need 5 more wins. 3 I think are likely, palace away, Brentford and Bournemouth at home, to a lesser extent Chelsea at home. If we can beat west ham away (I think going to be very tough that people are underestimating) and wolves at home (bizarre hex over us) then we'll rally be helping ourselves out. Any points from the other games are unlikely I think although we do seem to be Brighton's bogey team. They'll want to pay us back for the 6-1 though especially if it could F up the whole season

I could see Man U getting 18 points from that lot, playing dreadful football and scraping wins against the no hopers being helped out not a small amount with VAR and refs.

Edited by VillaJ100

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's also illogical because it's such low percentages.

The stats show that we're more than likely to get 5th, and 5th will more than likely be a CL place.

Yet a few people are utterly convinced it won't happen

I totally agree with this.  Only caution I have personally is the % is based on run rate and our run in/squad depth are weaker than that.  I am optimistic we can find enough to get the points we need, 70 should be enough to hold of Manu.  

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

@CVByrne It is great to have passionate fans and that will never come without emotion. I sense that you're living this season like you were out there yourself and that's great. 

If i can offer some unsolicited advice. 

Competing among the best is always beyond making up the numbers. It's turbulent. It's testing. And it's how you face disappointment and defeat when it's staring at you that matters most. 

UTV!

Also after all is said a done. It’s a just a game! Enjoy your life and try not to get so upset by things out of your control. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

I totally agree with this.  Only caution I have personally is the % is based on run rate and our run in/squad depth are weaker than that.  I am optimistic we can find enough to get the points we need, 70 should be enough to hold of Manu.  

Id put it a different way, I'm confident man utd aren't good enough to catch us

• Thanks 1