Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

On 25/02/2024 at 19:37, VillaChris said:

Not sure on that. I think we'll try to hang on to what we have but we'll follow a similar model to January.

Newcastle made the CL and their transfer business was Lewis Hall, Tonali and Harvey Barnes. Probably didn't do enough there with all their injuries but could see Howe's thinking in not wanting to disrupt the team spirit and balance of the team.

Issue is if we sign 3-4 high calibre players that will further increase the wage bill so we will remain in danger of FFP breaches if we then don't secure CL the following season.

From what I remember aswell once we're eliminated from CL there isn't Europa league drop in either.

Don’t worry Chris we’ll win it in our first season, then win the PL so qualifying won’t be a worry UTV!!!!

Guy on Claret and Blue podcast reckoned that if we beat Luton, and United lose to City, provided we just win 5 of our 11 remaining fixtures (a lower PPG than we've ever managed under Emery at 'just' 1.36) United need to win 9 out of 11 to overtake us.

There's some ifs in there, but it helped put it in perspective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jayEm said:

Guy on Claret and Blue podcast reckoned that if we beat Luton, and United lose to City, provided we just win 5 of our 11 remaining fixtures (a lower PPG than we've ever managed under Emery at 'just' 1.36) United need to win 9 out of 11 to overtake us.

There's some ifs in there, but it helped put it in perspective.

Yeah Villa could be ELEVEN points ahead of them if all goes to plan this weekend...

I think it's Spurs who are our most dangerous threat...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sne said:

West Ham-Frieburg in the Europa League is a pretty big fixture when it comes to UEFA nation ranking. Guess we have to root for the ham rather than the burg.

They beat them twice already in the group

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

They beat them twice already in the group

Both clubs have been in pretty bad form since the new year, West Ham especially. Last game was good for them thou. Feels very open.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah Villa could be ELEVEN points ahead of them if all goes to plan this weekend...

I mean, again, it's 12 points really isn't it. If they make up 11 points on us they are still below us. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

For top four yeah definitely, Villa could have a good end to the season and still finish below Spurs, it's very close and they're a good side. But of course there's a chance fifth place is enough.

United though need to have a really strong finish and for us to play the worst we have under Emery, to finish above us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

West Ham-Frieburg in the Europa League is a pretty big fixture when it comes to UEFA nation ranking. Guess we have to root for the ham rather than the burg.

Good that Paqueta is back and they’ve found some form again 

• Like 1

What bodes will for us is that we are still scoring close to two goals a game in the league, even across this poorer spell. Carry that through to the end of the season and you'll likely win more than not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Im just happy they are in it so they are in same boat with the Thursday games when we play them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villanmac said:

6 wins out of 12 sounds nice but we have Man City away, Arsenal away and Liverpool at home 2nd last game when they may be gunning for the title.

I know they aren't automatic losses but being cautious take those out and its 6 wins out of 9.

Its why the Luton game is massive.

Tottenham have Palace Luton and Notts Forest as their next 3 at home coming up and their last 2 games will be against already relegated Burnley and Sheffield United. 

I honestly think it comes down to the next 2 games for us, winning v Luton and Spurs.

Who do they have mid april-mid may out of interest?

30 minutes ago, villanmac said:

6 wins out of 12 sounds nice but we have Man City away, Arsenal away and Liverpool at home 2nd last game when they may be gunning for the title.

I know they aren't automatic losses but being cautious take those out and its 6 wins out of 9.

Its why the Luton game is massive.

Tottenham have Palace Luton and Notts Forest as their next 3 at home coming up and their last 2 games will be against already relegated Burnley and Sheffield United. 

I honestly think it comes down to the next 2 games for us, winning v Luton and Spurs.

Just checked but Spurs still have Man C Arsenal and pool to play as well. Kinda negates the arguement

Edited by colhint
Typo
  • Like 2

If we can get Konsa and Pau fit and playing next to each other I really have no fear of no team in this league or doubt we can match and beat them 

We Fear No Foe 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, colhint said:

Just checked but Spurs still have Man C Arsenal and pool to play as well. Kinda negates the arguement

Well it doesnt. You take those 3 games out for both clubs and then you compare the fixtures.