Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, useless said:

Not really bothered about Man Utd in this game, of course would have been nice for them to drop points, but it was always very unlikely so didn't bother getting my hopes up. But the thing to remember is they haven't suddenly turned into world beaters that are going to win every game, they will drop points between now and the end of the season against better opposition than Luton, as will Spurs, so we're still in a great position, I would have believed so even if we had have lost yesterday, the win just makes it even more so and with some very winnable game to come

Totally agree 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

FFS, if Man Utd win today, they're 2 points behind us.

We really **** up

Woops, I clearly needed another cup of coffee 😚

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

United will get 4th, it all depends now on Spurs and if they Spurs it. They've plenty of tough fixtures 

What a loser mentality.

We might as well just give up then

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CVByrne said:

United will get 4th, it all depends now on Spurs and if they Spurs it. They've plenty of tough fixtures 

Think bookies still have us and Spurs ahead of Utd to finish in CL spots.

Utd are in good form points-wise, but their performances have been relatively poor. Be surprised if they don’t start dropping points again soon.

I think it’s a three-way fight for 4th, with Spurs our main threat.

Edited by KentVillan

Spurs sandwiched between those ECL fixtures are really going to screw us over.

They even get a 2 week break between now and their next fixture....

Edited by AshVilla

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We kept thinking that during the group stages and still managed to get good results in the weekend games. Finger crossed for a favourable draw. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

They even get a 2 week break between now and their next fixture....

Those lengthy breaks are not always a good thing. We struggled in our first few games after the winter break.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

those ECL fixtures are really going to screw us over.

Correct. People are really underestimating the impact winning the ECL will have on our PL form. 

Let's hope people don't get annoyed if we field weaker teams in the ECL and/or get knocked out.

Sadly, only one priority for me ATM.

We have enough firepower to rotate up top in ECL, but it's our midfield and defense which are threadbare.

41 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I haven't dropped one of these charts in here for a while (mainly because I tried not to think about Villa for a few days following a pretty miserable visit to VP for the United game!) but here's a quick update:

image.thumb.png.58f11b60065c41af20cb720038f342e4.png

For some reason, and this could be blind optimism, but I can't help but feel we've turned a bit of a corner. Chelsea in the cup aside, we played well at Sheff Utd, played some great stuff against Man Utd (but weren't clinical) and earned a well deserved victory against Fulham. If we continue with our projected points for the season, it'd generally be enough for a 3rd place finish - pretty staggering when you consider how we went off the boil after the Arsenal game, alongside the injuries we've sustained.

Of course, that feels somewhat fanciful and I still feel 4th will be the best we can achieve. We need 22 points from the last 13 games of the season to finish 4th (based on 14 years of PL averages).

Really good to see this represented. If it's not too much work, could you do a graph for United? Then it can be visually represented the tear United will likely need to go on to finish 4th.

45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really good to see this represented. If it's not too much work, could you do a graph for United? Then it can be visually represented the tear United will likely need to go on to finish 4th.

Good question.

Using all the same averages I've been using this season for the chart on our progress against Man Utd, we get the below:

image.thumb.png.cfe65fbf3aa4a4efea820700e4f73826.png

Man Utd are averaging 1.76 PPG which, across an entire season, would see them finish with 67 points (actually 66.8 points) and would generally be enough for a 5th/6th placed finish. For context, 66 points was enough for 5th place in 50% of the last 14 seasons.

Interestingly, using the results from last season's corresponding fixtures against their remaining fixtures this season would see them land on 66 points which is pretty damn close to their projection. For them to reach the required average points for 4th place, they'd need to earn another 27 points from their remaining games, a PPG average of 2.07. Here are their remaining fixtures where they earned a total of 22 points:

Team Location Previous Season
FUL  H W
MNC A L
EVE H W
SHU H D
BRE A L
CHE A D
LIV H W
BOU A W
NEW H D
BUR H W
CRY A D
ARS H W
BRI A L
Edited by JPAngel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Good question.

Using all the same averages I've been using this season for the chart on our progress against Man Utd, we get the below:

Man Utd are averaging 1.76 PPG which, across an entire season, would see them finish with 67 points (actually 66.8 points) and would generally be enough for a 5th/6th placed finish. For context, 66 points was enough for 5th place in 50% of the last 14 seasons.

Interestingly, using the results from last season's corresponding fixtures against their remaining fixtures this season would see them land on 66 points which is pretty damn close to their projection. For them to reach the required average points for 4th place, they'd need to earn another 27 points from their remaining games, a PPG average of 2.07. Here are their remaining fixtures:

FUL  H W
MNC A L
EVE H W
SHU H D
BRE A L
CHE A D
LIV H W
BOU A W
NEW H D
BUR H W
CRY A D
ARS H W
BRI A L

It's essentially another 8/9 wins.

They aren't getting that.

25 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Good question.

Interestingly, using the results from last season's corresponding fixtures against their remaining fixtures this season would see them land on 66 points which is pretty damn close to their projection. For them to reach the required average points for 4th place, they'd need to earn another 27 points from their remaining games, a PPG average of 2.07. Here are their remaining fixtures where they earned a total of 22 points:

FUL  H W
MNC A L
EVE H W
SHU H D
BRE A L
CHE A D
LIV H W
BOU A W
NEW H D
BUR H W
CRY A D
ARS H W
BRI A L

Its a pitty they don’t play spurs

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Is depends. They have an easier final 13 games than us and have to make up 5 points on us. It could go either way but a lot depends on our own form.  If we can get 7 more wins, I don’t think they’ll catch us, if we get 5 more wins, they will catch us. 

12 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

I'm ruling them out! Just like you've been ruling Villa out the whole season.

I have been saying we will get 5th ALL SEASON!. 

If that is ruling us out then your expectations really are over the top. 

I said we were not going to win the league and that we would finish 5th.

Please explain how that is ruling us out as opposed to being being realistic.

The only time I wavered from 5th was after the recent injuries. 

Why don't you check your facts before poking fun?

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is depends. They have an easier final 13 games than us and have to make up 5 points on us. It could go either way but a lot depends on our own form.  If we can get 7 more wins, I don’t think they’ll catch us, if we get 5 more wins, they will catch us. 

6 with the goal difference.

47 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don’t know. I can see them winning 4 of the next 5. Lucks with them. We just need to do our job and get another 6/7 wins.