Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

On 19/02/2024 at 18:03, StefanAVFC said:

4 is enough to continue our trajectory. Even 1 win 1 loss still maintains 2 PPG

I think beating Luton is really important just to pile the pressure back on Man. United. They lose at Man. City and gap is back to 8 plus significant GD so again they'd have won all these games on us to be still 8 points off us as was the case on Boxing day so psychologically that would be a real killer.

Chance this week to go 5 clear on Spurs. So beat Luton and at worst we're 5 clear before we play them so again that piles the pressure more on Spurs and we can sit in and wait for gaps to appear on the counter.

If you look at Newcastle last season they struggled in the Jan/Feb period of the season and then won 5 straight through March and early April and that got them CL so looks a good formula to replicate to me.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Luke Shaw out for 2-3 months by sound of it so won't be playing much more this season. With Martinez out for that timescale they are seriously weak down the left again.

Really? That’s a massive blow for them. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? That’s a massive blow for them. 

Re-occurence of the injury he had at the start of the season, was out from end of August to middle of November.

If dysfunctional Man. United find a way to win 9/10 of their last 13 without a functional left hand side of their backline then they really have the voodoo over us.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Re-occurence of the injury he had at the start of the season, was out from end of August to middle of November.

If dysfunctional Man. United find a way to win 9/10 of their last 13 without a functional left hand side of their backline then they really have the voodoo over us.

To be fair if they manage that they probably deserve to finish top 5. But hopefully they won’t! 

7 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Good read that. Seems pretty dumb that you can get more points for a team finishing runner up in a group and playing a knockout than winning the group.  I’d still be surprised if England didn’t manage to get one of the spots.

We need two wins and a draw from the next three games. 

That will leave us with needing five wins from the remaining 10 games which should be doable without having to win the harder games. 

That will then also allow us to go slightly harder at the conference as our only chance of silverware if we get more secure about finishing fourth. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Shaw is one of their best players. Plus it also means Lindelof playing there as Malacia isn't ready

Dalot played there last time I think, with Wan-Bissaka at RB.