Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

14 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Forty years of disappointment is a long time to build up an array of defense mechanisms.

I think Villa fans are largely hopeful, but some protect themselves from disappointment by imagining the worst. I do think it’s actually a little better than it used to be. Progress. 

Is it possible to imagine anything worse than Eric Black managing an already relegated Aston Villa, and somehow managed to make us feel more depressed than we already were 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Villa have had 3 very good performances in a row now in the PL. Looks like we've got out of our so called bad patch against Sheffield United and now on the up. 

Spurs and Man United haven't been good in their last 3 games + more. It was never sustainable for them to keep winning not playing well. Their luck is and bound to run out.

Basing on performances on the field and the consistency over since Emery took over Villa, you have to fancy Villa to finish 4th.

People look far to much into results and not the actual performances on the field. I think the last 3 PL games villa have played have been up there with some of our best of the season. 

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Like 4

On 14/02/2024 at 15:13, StefanAVFC said:

Sorry to beat this to death, but I would say we need that 1.5 PPG to confirm 5th. And around 1.75 to be back in contention for 4th.

1.5 PPG = 19/20 points

1.75 PPG = 24/25 points

19/20 points = 5 wins, 4 draws, 5 losses / 6 wins, 1/2 draws, 6/7 losses / 7 wins, 7 losses

24/25 points = 6 wins, 6 draws, 2 losses / 7 wins, 3/4 draws, 3/4 losses

Simply put, almost regardless of the teams below us, if we win 6 more games, we've pretty much got 5th (assuming we draw 1 or 2 more games in that run)

If we win 7 more games, 4th is in play.

If we win 8 more, 4th is very likely.

Fixtures:

Fulham
Forest
Luton
Spurs
West Ham
Wolves
City
Brentford
Arsenal
Bournemouth
Chelsea
Brighton
Liverpool
Palace

If we can't win 6 of them, we don't deserve it. Simple as that.

1 win out of 6 ✅

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If we think Luton can beat United away then they can beat us too, at their place in a couple of weeks.

I think it's a mistake for any team to underestimate Luton at their place

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dodgyknees said:

They opened up MOTD talking about having the too 5 teams playing, end up pitting us on last 😂

They probably forgot about us and not even bother 

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If we think Luton can beat United away then they can beat us too, at their place in a couple of weeks.

I feel sure we'll win, but I think we'll have to fight very hard for it.Luton are little terriers -- very cute and kinetic but they will nip at our ankles. Looking forward to that match. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Even if 5th gets it?

5th is still my " safe bet.

I’m banking on 5th apparently the odds of it going to fifth is about 80%

I’ll change my mind if we do well in the next three games, as we will get back a few of the players that are out and we will know if Pau is a permanent fixture again. Not to mention that it will only be 11 left to play.

you can’t write off Man Utd and a strong finisher from that group below IMO

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

you can’t write off Man Utd and a strong finisher from that group below IMO

You are joking surely? Newcastle in 7th are 12pts behind us and 7 less in GD. Emery has 1.96ppg in 2 seasons 25 game stints and we have key player back from injury 

Edited by Kiwivillan

There’s no way we are finishing lower than 6th. Countless posters have explained the chances of this happening in detail. If anybody is still concerned it could happen they need to give their head a wobble. 

However screw 6th and even 5th. We want 4th! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Villa have had 3 very good performances in a row now in the PL. Looks like we've got out of our so called bad patch against Sheffield United and now on the up. 

Spurs and Man United haven't been good in their last 3 games + more. It was never sustainable for them to keep winning not playing well. Their luck is and bound to run out.

Basing on performances on the field and the consistency over since Emery took over Villa, you have to fancy Villa to finish 4th.

People look far to much into results and not the actual performances on the field. I think the last 3 PL games villa have played have been up there with some of our best of the season. 

This is entirely correct.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

And doing this with what is essentially an arm behind our back, in that we've had to have absolutely zero consistency in our defence recently. That back 4 had never all played together at the same time and you couldn't even tell!

This Unai Emery bloke might be an alright manager.

• Like 1

Us, Spurs, and united will all drop points between now and the end of the season against clubs we really shouldn't be.

Those games won't define where we finish, as long as they remain the exception.

Up the Villa,  Champions League is ours for the taking!

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

You are joking surely? Newcastle in 7th are 12pts behind us and 7 less in GD. Emery has 1.96ppg in 2 seasons 25 game stints and we have key player back from injury 

No I’m not joking we have a load of players out some of which are key to how we play and we have one of the toughest run ins.

like I said do well in the next three games and I’ll reassess 

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

No I’m not joking we have a load of players out some of which are key to how we play and we have one of the toughest run ins.

like I said do well in the next three games and I’ll reassess 

So Newcastle at best would have to go 2ppg rest of season(doubtful) and us 1ppg rest of season and forget about teams further behind. Beyond pessimistic, just ridiculous really

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

So Newcastle at best would have to go 2ppg rest of season(doubtful) and us 1ppg rest of season and forget about teams further behind. Beyond pessimistic, just ridiculous really

I have no idea what you are on about we don't need to finish 7th for not getting in the CL we need 6th for that maybe 5th won't be good enough.

I have no idea what you have a bee in your bonnet about.

I do think Emery may play a weakened team in the Conference League, Top 5 would be the clubs priority, especially now with Kamara out. It’s going to be a great ride.

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

We need to stop being so reactionary.

After the man utd game people was acting like the season was over and there was nothing left to play for.

4 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

The performances were the exact reason for concern - there was no random reactionary panic.

We played not-badly twice in two months. One was Sheff Utd and the other was a loss to Man Utd.

Loads of caveats of course, but we deserved the results we got.

Don't think we were great today but it was not bad at all and we did deserve the win. Had some smelly decisions to deal with as well.

Pau's composure spreads confidence which should help us going forward.

It'll take more years of Unai before my natural villa pessimism is eradicated.

16 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I have no idea what you are on about we don't need to finish 7th for not getting in the CL we need 6th for that maybe 5th won't be good enough.

I have no idea what you have a bee in your bonnet about.

You said you can't write off Manure and a stronger finisher from below. I think you can write off anyone below Manure