Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 hours ago, omariqy said:

The players really need us right now. Imagine how they feel after giving everything so far this season. Everything has gone against us these last few games. We need to rally around them. Grow some **** balls and let’s **** do this thing. 

I think this mentality was evident in VP at the weekend. Absolutely rocking it was for the first time in a while. MORE!!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tayls said:

Chelsea a concern now with their upturn in results… gaps closing all over the place now. We were 20 points ahead of them. Now 12. 

😂😂😂

trolling

• Like 2

I think some people are deluding themselves. An end of season collapse is every bit as likely as us holding some kind of form to stay in top 6. In fact any time the club has been challenging for the top 4 it has always ending in a collapse. It seems unlikely this season will be any different.

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think some people are deluding themselves. An end of season collapse is every bit as likely as us holding some kind of form to stay in top 6.

If it as likely as you say ‘holding some kind of form’ as your position then how is it deluded? If it’s as likely then it’s not being deluded.

We have lost one key player but key players are coming back.

spurs could collapse, hence why the term spursy. Arsenal are known for collapsing.  Man U have a crisis every month so are due a new one…we could collapse, we could remain on 2ppg or we could go on a run…no point thinking we are definitely going to collapse when the only thing you’re basing that on is losing Kamara, that’s just being extremely pessimistic for the sake of it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, picicata said:

I think you need to step away from football for a few days you seem to be trapped in a negativity spiral. Shit happens, we'll deal with it.

Was thinking similar reading some posts.

I mean I've got issues myself, but the absolute despair and doom from some allude to them having external problems football can't fix.

Also have to wonder if some people actually get any joy whatsoever from following the club. ( Not just a VT thing either, it's much worse elsewhere )

• Like 4

Could go either way but very much hoping that recent results and injuries actually galvanise the squad.  Let’s prove the media doubters wrong and show there is no sign of a major off in results or even a collapse. We can still finish fourth or fifth and have a good go at the conference league.

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was thinking similar reading some posts.

I mean I've got issues myself, but the absolute despair and doom from some allude to them having external problems football can't fix.

Also have to wonder if some people actually get any joy whatsoever from following the club. ( Not just a VT thing either, it's much worse elsewhere )

I think some of our fans arent used to us being successful and seem fearful about it and brings negative energy. We are 5th and at least one poster is refusing to go anymore games this season as its too much. 

Injuries happen in football its a contact sport

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think some of our fans arent used to us being successful and seem fearful about it and brings negative energy. We are 5th and at least one poster is refusing to go anymore games this season as its too much. 

Injuries happen in football its a contact sport

Three ACL injuries in one season isn't normal. It's absolutely ridiculous quite frankly. 

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Three ACL injuries in one season isn't normal. It's absolutely ridiculous quite frankly. 

Real Madrid currently have 3 players injured with ACL injuries. They are widespread in football now

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Do you not think Kamara being out the rest if the season will not make the defense worse?

I think he's been quite sloppy the last few defeats, with some misplaced passes, but yes he is a big loss.

I do think hope that Unai can figure out how to get the high line to work with who he has now.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This makes me feel better

We've been in a slump and they've won 4 in a row yet they've closed 3 points in 2 months.

I also heard Newcastle are going to catch us and in our slump we’ve gone from being 9 points ahead of them to 10 points ahead of them and they played one more game in that time than us 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just looking at some of the teams that have been challenging for the Champions League in recent years 

Leicester 19/20 - 3 wins in the last 13 games. After 25 games 12 points clear of 5th. (COVID break wasn't helpful granted)
Leicester 20/21 -  4 wins in the last 13 games. After 25 games 6 points clear of 5th

Spurs 22/23 - 4 wins in the last 13 games. After 25 games 4 points clear of 5th (granted Newcastle had 2 games in hand)

Looking at probably our closest season under MON to qualify for the Champions League

08/09 - 2 wins in the last 13 games (Went 9 games without a win). After 25 games 7 points clear of 5th. 

I picked game week 25 to start from because that is what the league table is going to be up to after this weekend but as you can see those teams had poor end of the seasons which is why they missed out. If Villa were to have similar last 13 games this season then we don't deserve to finish in the Champions League places however I'm pretty confident Emery won't have us go on a run that bad. Kamara/Konsa injuries have been deflating but we are still in a healthy position. 

3 minutes ago, RichW said:

Just looking at some of the teams that have been challenging for the Champions League in recent years 

Leicester 19/20 - 3 wins in the last 13 games. After 25 games 12 points clear of 5th. (COVID break wasn't helpful granted)
Leicester 20/21 -  4 wins in the last 13 games. After 25 games 6 points clear of 5th

Spurs 22/23 - 4 wins in the last 13 games. After 25 games 4 points clear of 5th (granted Newcastle had 2 games in hand)

Looking at probably our closest season under MON to qualify for the Champions League

08/09 - 2 wins in the last 13 games (Went 9 games without a win). After 25 games 7 points clear of 5th. 

I picked game week 25 to start from because that is what the league table is going to be up to after this weekend but as you can see those teams had poor end of the seasons which is why they missed out. If Villa were to have similar last 13 games this season then we don't deserve to finish in the Champions League places however I'm pretty confident Emery won't have us go on a run that bad. Kamara/Konsa injuries have been deflating but we are still in a healthy position. 

Leicester still finished 5th in those two seasons, which should hopefully secure a CL place this season. Spurs we’re a complete shambles last season.