Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Utd haven't won at a top 9 side since December 2021.

Their last three away games, they pipped Wolves having thrown away a lead and lost at Forest and West Ham.

If we play OK, we win.

I'll be expecting a full on season collapse if we get battered. They have good players but no structure or plan at all.

Hopefully Pau starts against United, he is key for us in playing out from back. Cash / Bailey in team on right side is not a good balance, so losing Konsa is a blow. I'd go with Diaby up top and Bailey as impact sub. 

A win against United seals top 5 for us and that's 75%+ chance of being a CL place. I'd take a draw though as we're effectively 9 points ahead of them

Hard to underestimate how important this game on Sunday is. Win and we put some real daylight between the top 5 and the rest. Lose and Utd are right back in it and with the momentum. Holte End needs to be rocking even if we go down 1-0

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Hard to underestimate how important this game on Sunday is. Win and we put some real daylight between the top 5 and the rest. Lose and Utd are right back in it and with the momentum. Holte End needs to be rocking even if we go down 1-0

Draw would be acceptable. 8pts plus 20 goal difference is like another point. 

• Like 3

Would take a draw if offered now. Draw with them and Spurs but pick up 7-8 other wins would take us to 69-70 points.

Would love to see one of those fast starts we came to love in last season's run in!

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Yup it’s a must not lose 

Exactly. We need to start on the front foot and with energy. Come out swinging. We can’t afford to concede then get into gear. It’s a winnable game. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Utd haven't won at a top 9 side since December 2021.

Their last three away games, they pipped Wolves having thrown away a lead and lost at Forest and West Ham.

image.jpeg.d43e7cafe2850f85b23df7a309568970.jpeg

• Haha 1

Is this the most important game that Villa have played since we got promoted? A sliding doors moment.  

If we win, i think we'll qualify for the Champions League and with all the extra revenue and exposure means we can then do it again in future seasons.

If we lose, i think Man Utd & Spurs will overhaul us for 4th and 5th with our season ending on a whimper. We then miss out on £50 million, probably sell Ramsey to meet FFP/PSR and next season Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle are stronger.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If we lose, i think Man Utd & Spurs will overhaul us for 4th and 5th with our season ending on a whimper.

If we lose to Manure because of circumstantial injuries it doesn't mean they're not going to drop stupid points against other teams and Angeball is not going to cause Spurs players to run out of steam later on. It's not a simple equation like some make out to wallow in gloom because we've had a few bad results. We have players coming back. Maybe Ramsey is going to go on a form run like end of last season

I don't know why we are heaping pressure on ourselves. This game comes at a time when injury issues have hit us. Later in the season we should have a stronger squad to pick from.

It is a huge game no doubt but heaping unnecessary pressure on won't help.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John said:

What we need in our remaining 15 games, is something approaching the finish we produced last season, a lot of people doubted that we could get into a European spot then, such doubt are coming back now. 

We need a win on Sunday and when we play Spurs at Villa Park (both easier said than done, at the moment). Those are our two closest rivals and these are both "6 pointers". Win those two and we will be hard to catch and we will look good for a top 5 finish. 🤞

You would have thought at least 8 wins would be needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Is this the most important game that Villa have played since we got promoted? A sliding doors moment.  

If we win, i think we'll qualify for the Champions League and with all the extra revenue and exposure means we can then do it again in future seasons.

If we lose, i think Man Utd & Spurs will overhaul us for 4th and 5th with our season ending on a whimper. We then miss out on £50 million, probably sell Ramsey to meet FFP/PSR and next season Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle are stronger.

Even if we lose we shouldn't just concede it's all over.

We'd still be 5 points clear of Man. United and could well still be clear of Spurs as not a given they beat Brighton.

Our next three are Fulham, Forest and Luton so there could be two wins there with Pau and hopefully Konsa back in the backline for those games.

Psychologically it does feel like Man. United are starting to creep up but they have Man. City away when we play Luton so that could be a good chance to get into a double figure lead over them again if we keep it to eight on Sunday.

I'd actually say the Spurs home game in mid March is a sliding doors game. If we lose that they'll probably go ahead of us and it will be difficult to reel them in.

We have a world class manager now and plenty of top level players in the squad in key positions so to me a Gregory/MON style collapse from the position we've been in since early November would be so disappointing and shouldn't just be meekly tolerated because as you say there would be damaging long term consequences for us if we miss out on CL.

Pau would be a breath of fresh air to the team. Particularly the midfield and the full backs. Just the change in impetus it will give would give would automatically raise the game of the midfield and the fullbacks. The stuff that Kamara and Luiz did for Watkins goal v Sheffield United is what we are missing against the better teams.

• Like 1