Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Lots of pressure now. With FFP dropping to 75% of revenue soon, if we don't make it now, we probably never will. And we will be forced to sell probably 2 main players in the summer.

Of course teams like Chelsea won't. Oh joy. Can't wait.

• Like 1

I had a thought on the bus home about how we need our good players like Ramsey and Diaby and Douglas Luiz and Kamara to start playing like good players and stop playing shite. 

I think once they start playing good again, we'll start winning games.

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

The irony of this :D 

You might want to look up the word irony since there is none whatsoever in my post.

Being constantly told you can't possibly believe we will only finish 5th and that you can't possibly think we won't win a certain game deserved to be mentioned. That's not ironic in any way.

7 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

You might want to look up the word irony since there is none whatsoever in my post.

Being constantly told you can't possibly believe we will only finish 5th and that you can't possibly think we won't win a certain game deserved to be mentioned. That's not ironic in any way.

It was the bit highlighted in bold. Obviously :D 

Since they announced the cancellation of the North Stand rebuild (and the whole new crest saga as a bonus) we have won 1, lost 2 and drawn 2 in the league. Probably not connected but it left me feeling a bit deflated. Hopefully the off field uncertainty is not spilling onto the pitch.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 09:52, GlobalVillan said:

I just think we will draw. Football doesn't always follow logic and we have poor form, a bad record at their place and a generally dodgy away record.

So I think it'll be a draw. Is that ok with you boss? Or must I agree with whatever you think?

I can see why you’d think it would be a draw but I reckon we’ll grind this one out. We just have too.

10 hours ago, YLN said:

I had a thought on the bus home about how we need our good players like Ramsey and Diaby and Douglas Luiz and Kamara to start playing like good players and stop playing shite. 

I think once they start playing good again, we'll start winning games.

With insight like that, you could get a job in Sky Sports.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All the teams fighting for top 4 have quality , equal or even than ours.. Chelsea and Man U included. But we have a better manager ,  only second to Pep & Klopp. 
It’s important how he can blend our players into an effective unit that will get us there. Individual talent will only take you so far 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Since they announced the cancellation of the North Stand rebuild (and the whole new crest saga as a bonus) we have won 1, lost 2 and drawn 2 in the league. Probably not connected but it left me feeling a bit deflated. Hopefully the off field uncertainty is not spilling onto the pitch.

Football is about momentum. We looked like an ambitious club 6 months ago, with a 50k Villa Park for fans and players to look forward to. We look like a bit of a joke since the Heck announcement.

On some level there is a link. It has been deflating for a lot of us.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

4th has gone for me. We have massively dipped while Spurs have weathered their injuries and have them coming back without the additional European games. I just done see us getting back to our consistency from the first half. 

There's every chance that at the end of tomorrow, us, Spurs and Arsenal in 3rd, 4th and 5th could all be on 46 points (albeit with Spurs having played a game more) this league is so tough.

Our aim has to be to keep the rest of the pack out of the conversation - the whole top ten are still dangerous.

8 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

4th has gone for me. We have massively dipped while Spurs have weathered their injuries and have them coming back without the additional European games. I just done see us getting back to our consistency from the first half. 

I agree for the most part, however asentioned before, we are going through our " injury " etc phase as well.

With everyone back and fit, we can definitely neck and neck if we perform how we can 

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How can people say 4th is gone. Its spurs not city fighting for that 4th spot.

For me it's more about us than about Spurs. We look really flat atm. Unless Pau comes back really soon I think the ship will have sailed for 4th.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

i would love to understand the core reasons behind our slump, it could be a few things, or a mixture of them.

1) right after the Arsenal win, it all blew up about Villa being title contenders, maybe the squad have let the pressure get to them, as tbh, its after that Arsenal game where it all started to go downhill, we havent played well since the first 15mins of that game, 10 games ago.

2) Mentality issues from the heightened expectation, linked in with point 1, it also started to go wrong when we had chance 1 to go top with a win, we failed, we had another chance a week later, failed, pretty sure we had a third chance to go top at some point, and failed that also, maybe the mentality of some of our players just isnt right, or they are strugglng to deal with the pressure.

3) Have opposition managers figured us out a bit, and know how to counter the style that served us well for the last 12 months, and we dont seem to be able or willing to do something different.

4) the players seem to lack confidence and cutting edge, not taking shots, being static, no movement, some seemingly not willing to take on shots when they are in clear positions to shoot.

5) Maybe just that 10% dip in form of some of our key players is the difference between winning or not, it is fine margins after all.

6) Players struggling to make the system work as before with Pau out, maybe we became too reliant on Pau doing his thing and building from the back, although that cant be the sole reason, a small part maybe.

there is clearly something going on, and its probably multiple of small things.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

For me it's more about us then about Spurs. We look really flat atm. Unless Pau comes back really soon I think the ship will have sailed for 4th.

We do but i can't say it's over. We win later and we are on the same points. Spurs are capable of dropping points. Everton are currently the better team in their game.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How can people say 4th is gone. Its spurs not city fighting for that 4th spot.

We're not playing well, it's not sustainable.

Haven't played well since City.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

We do but i can't say it's over. We win later and we are on the same points. Spurs are capable of dropping points. Everton are currently the better team in their game.

Don't think it's over either, or will be for a while. But I think we are slipping.

• Like 1