Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, VillaAlex said:

I think it's more tiredness. Feels like we put everything into the City and Arsenal games. Every match since we've looked leggy which is no surprise given the schedule, travelling and general lack of rotation. 

We also seem to be setting the gears in each match to preserve energy. This was particularly apparent in the matches Vs Zrinski and Sheff Utd where we really played with little tempo.

I think as mentioned the January schedule came at a great time, we might get embarrassed in the FA Cup again, and we have a tough game Vs Everton but we really need to kick on then before we are back in Europe. Then Unai may need to make a decision on priorities as it's going to be super difficult to handle a deep run in the Conference League and the schedule we have in April particularly. 

By the time we come onto the field at Goodison Pau, Kamara and Tielemans (it's a good time to take Ramsey out as he's flagged considerably in second halves for quite a few weeks) so that would be good as that has developed into a very strong spine for us. 

So we can rotate more but I'm still a little surprised a few are citing the tiredness factor and yet saying there's no real point in signing anyone next month!

This is exactly the point in the season where you bring in a player or two to freshen up the squad so I look forward to seeing what moves we make and giving us more options on the bench to turn games.

It will get hectic again in March and April given the opposition we're playing so we need to be ready for that period.

We need to use the month of January well. We need to make rotations for the FA Cup. Watkins, McGinn, Konsa, Luiz all need resting. 

The ECL is going to be difficult to manage Vs rivals who are not in Europe. Spurs, Newcastle, United. 

We could do with a player added in January to replace one or two who don't play like Traore or Chambers. 

If players get the right rest and ideally we go out of FA Cup we have a chance of the top 5

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Something else people are forgetting is the pressure. Every game is now so important to stay with where we are. For the last few years we’ve been mid-table by now.  Players will feel a new pressure Emery will have to handle. 

Gladly last season we had that type of pressure and managed it well. Now it’s to another level yes. But good signs are there. Against Utd we should’ve defended better but things happens.

I think us getting back at Bournemouth, Brentford and Sheffield and Burnley shows what this team is made of, despite performances. 

Take it game at a time and who knows where will it take us. Now two important games for Spurs and Arsenal hopefully both fail to win. Then Liverpool  who hopefully fail to win as well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think us getting back at Bournemouth, Brentford and Sheffield and Burnley shows what this team is made of, despite performances. 

That was Bournemouth only draw last 6. The other 5 were wins. They are 1st last 6 form table on 16pts. That was actually great point people didn't appreciate at the time more so considering should've been playing against 10 men early/Carlos goal should've stood. People sleeping on Bournemouth with their other Basque manager doing great

• Like 2

Our ability to draw a line under bad results and stop the rot quickly is essential for a high finish. Spurs are a talented team but they have shown two worrying traits we don’t have:

- losing when leading

- going on a multiple game losing streak 

I’m genuinely really impressed with how this team dealt with the Man U disappointment by beating Burnley. I was sick to my stomach at the Man U loss and really thrown so for them to just win the next is mightily impressive mentality 

• Like 1

This is one of the things that’s been on my mind recently. We seem to have a good spread of scorers and providers - whilst still being one of the divisions top scorers. Hopefully this trend continues and these players all continue to contribute. 

https://x.com/lovemcgrathpod/status/1741380839361876349?s=46&t=DMaZsnph8w4Bdp5BiLYdIQ

• Like 3

20 games in, we’re massively on track and it would be a big collapse if we were to not make it. What worries me is the sustainability, in some games we were lucky and they don’t really even out 

Palace, Brentford, Arsenal, Burnley, Spurs - wins turned into draws 

in each of those games, something happened that was a little bit lucky that changed the result 

SU, Wolves - draws turned into wins 

both games we were insanely unlucky not to score / get a pen

i was considered including Bournemouth but they should have had a red and our last minute goal wasn’t lucky 

I guess you can look at it in two ways. The best teams make their own luck, or this run we’re on isn’t sustainable. 

I’m leaning towards A. It isn’t change that we seem to be consistently capable of saving or changing a game. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Easy to forget that Unai managed to get into the semi finals in the UCL with Villareal which is madness.

Incredible achievement to win the EL and then getting them to a CL semi final. It’s the equivalent of doing it with a team like Burnley! 

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

20 games in, we’re massively on track and it would be a big collapse if we were to not make it. What worries me is the sustainability, in some games we were lucky and they don’t really even out 

in each of those games, something happened that was a little bit lucky that changed the result 

i was considered including Bournemouth but they should have had a red and our last minute goal wasn’t lucky 

I guess you can look at it in two ways. The best teams make their own luck, or this run we’re on isn’t sustainable. 

I’m leaning towards A. It isn’t change that we seem to be consistently capable of saving or changing a game. 

The Arsenal and Spurs games were by design, not lucky. Well I suppose its how you interpret luck.

Son had a hat trick of offside goals, but that's just the same as having no goals because it's the way we let the strikers play against us. We also let them run out of steam and then hit them.

I saw after the Arsenal game people say that they dominated us with shots and possession. Well yes, but we were also winning for 95 of the 100 minutes. 

10 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The Arsenal and Spurs games were by design, not lucky. Well I suppose its how you interpret luck.

Son had a hat trick of offside goals, but that's just the same as having no goals because it's the way we let the strikers play against us. We also let them run out of steam and then hit them.

I saw after the Arsenal game people say that they dominated us with shots and possession. Well yes, but we were also winning for 95 of the 100 minutes. 

Talking more about a game changing moment. Spurs was Bentancur going off. Arsenal was their disallowed goal. Both were ‘lucky’ in a sense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really interesting post. I guess it’s whether you’re a glass half full/empty type.

Personally, I feel we’ve overachieved a little as we’ve been very average in games and won. But, like you say, we should have beaten Sheff Utd and probably Wolves too. 

One thing I will say is, we have a solid collection of around 13 players that will need to stay fit for us to sustain this push. Spurs actually have surprisingly incredible depth given their injury list - something we don’t have. A long term injury to McGinn, Luiz or Kamara would massively derail us. Again, you could argue this for each of the top sides. 

We’ve been without key players this last month and our results have still been fairly strong. With Torres and Kamara back, and the other key players rested, we’ll be in good shape for the Everton match. 

I don’t think for a minute we’ll win the league, but like @Tomaszk says, we’re in it until we’re not. Our aim needs to be to win the league (because why the hell not) and hopefully if/when we don’t, we’ll still have finished in the top 4. A miraculous achievement in itself. 

• Like 2