Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

It was so important to bounce back from the sickening United result with a win. The lads wouldn’t be human if they weren’t carrying some mental scarring into today. The best teams reset and get the win after a setback. Big three points against Burnley gives us the platform to rebuild confidence and form

• Like 4

Really needed that win given the last 2 games. Really haven't looked like a top 5 side in recent games and yet neither has anyone else really.

We are in a great position and couldn't have asked for anything more, especially given the players we have out and the fixture congestion. 

Top 4 eems doable and whilst there are 8 or so sides in the race for a CL spot I cant see any reason why we can't surprise people and grab a spot without needing the 5th place coefficient.

I really believe we will see CL football at VP next season, barring serious injuries to key players.

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.d5f129fc126d98267e0705009eabc41a.jpeg

20 games into the season we are on 2.1 points per game, that would take us to 80 points if we get 2.1 PPG from the last 18 games.

The next 10 games are:
Everton (away)
Newcastle (home)
Sheffield United (away)
Manchester United (home)
Fulham (away)
Nottingham Forest (home)
Luton Town (away)
Tottenham (home)
West Ham (away)
Wolverhampton (home)

We get to play our top4 rivals at home, and hopefully put some distance between us and them. If we manage to get back to our best and avoid injuries, I believe 20+ points from those 10 games is possible. That would take us to more points that we ended up with last season, but still with 8 more games to be played.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Over the last 6 games, including this Christmas-New Year ‘slump’, we have four wins, a draw and a loss. That’s better than City, Arsenal and Spurs - just for comparison. Liverpool have gained a point on us. An ok December for my money.

Perspective, wonderful, isn't it?

• Like 2

On 29/12/2023 at 13:08, Vive_La_Villa said:

West Ham remind me Villa under MON. Very organised and direct. Good from set pieces too. They will always pick up a lot of point but never quite have the quality to break the top 5.

Im not concerned about West Ham.

I think Newcastle are also a bit similar to that team too even if got top 4. Have ran out of steam now

34 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Really needed that win given the last 2 games. Really haven't looked like a top 5 side in recent games and yet neither has anyone else really.

We are in a great position and couldn't have asked for anything more, especially given the players we have out and the fixture congestion. 

Top 4 eems doable and whilst there are 8 or so sides in the race for a CL spot I cant see any reason why we can't surprise people and grab a spot without needing the 5th place coefficient.

I really believe we will see CL football at VP next season, barring serious injuries to key players.

Christmas period is always a strange set of games. Its probably better we struggle now and still pick up points than on a weekly basis

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

If we'd held on against Man U, beaten Sheff U, Bournemouth, Wolves and Forest like we should, then we would be 13 points clear at the top and basically have the league wrapped up by now.

Unai out!! 😡😆

While performances have dipped as the month has gone on, we've still got a healthy return of points and sit nicely near the top of the table. Said it a couple weeks ago or so but as long as we don't have an calamitous early 2024 then there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't be able to stay in the top 4. I think we've proven to be more than good enough, just hope games don't catch up to us towards the end while Spurs only have to focus on the league is probably the only worry. 

A bit of a break in between games for January now has come at a good time though because we need it.