Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

So what's the sketch now? Are we unseeded or is there still a chance?

Still a chance - I think the Turkish cup final between Fenerbache and Basaksehir is our best bet - needing a Fenerbache win from memory… I think! 

Also, there’s a chance a seeded team (1 of 9) could get knocked out the UECL who enter before our round meaning we’d be seeded. 

Results in France tonight mean that it is Lille who finish in 5th and take the Europa Conference League spot.

Eintracht Frankfurt losing in the German Cup Final, means they have to settle also for the Europa Conference League. With them being in the Champions League this season and winning the Europa League last season, they will be clearly one of the main contenders for this competition next season.

Also as an aside, West Ham and Man City both winning their finals this week would improve our coefficient but it doesn't appear that it would be enough to overtake Viktoria Plzen who are the team above us in the seedings.

Edited by Ceemo

47 minutes ago, supermon said:

So what's the sketch now? Are we unseeded or is there still a chance?

As I understand it, we may well be seeded if any of 2nd and 3rd round qualifying matches goes to the side with the lower coefficient. So plenty of nail biting to come!

5 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Results in France tonight mean that it is Lille who finish in 5th and take the Europa Conference League spot.

That would be a great away tie. Just at the end of the chunnel - and a very pretty town.

Oh bugger, I'm going to have to arrange a "work" thing in Europe next seas... I mean this coming fall aren't I?

• Like 2

Updated rankings for conference league (and Europa league). 

Whilst a lot of teams now confirmed, still a lot of asterisks floating around. There are only technically 2 teams that are definitely qualifying for the play off round that are ahead of us. A lot can change and we only need 1 team to fall to move to the seeded side.

To be honest, whilst the stats/tables are fun, even if we do end up unseeded I am not too worried. We need to beat the best anyway if we want to win the cup anyway so it doesn’t matter too much when. I am also confident with Emery we will be massively prepared for whoever we face.

Also, if we are unseeded we can’t face Rapid Wein :D 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Working in Frankfurt it's safe to say I want that to happen

i have work colleagues there whom it would be good to meet in person, so frankfurt definitely would be a fun trip. tough game though.

14 hours ago, YLN said:

It's not a seeding attributed to the English team that wins the League Cup or finishes 7th. The club has the its own seeding based on recent European form. And Villa have done **** all in Europe for more than ten years. The league's coefficient primarily determines the number and quality of european positions, but the club co-efficient is based on the club's form in Europe. 

We are lucky that we are from a nation whose co-efficient is the highest in Europe, so rather than getting a zero, we get a national association based co-efficient, which is still not very high compared to if we had won a few games in Europe in the last five years, but gives us an advantage over teams from other nations who have also been recently out of Europe. On the basis of us taking the national association co-efficient (21.799), there are 75 teams ahead of us in the rankings. These 75 teams include titans such as Qarabag, Gent, Cervena Zvezda and Plzen. 

We need teams who do not have good recent pedigree in Europe to finish in Europa Conference places so that our national association co-efficient trumps theirs. 

I know, I'm thinking that as the qualifier who has either won the League Cup or finished in a high enough PL place to qualify, that should in itself be enough to get a seeding. I think that qualifying through either is difficult enough to justify a slightly higher National co-efficient, whether that club has a recent European record or not. I also think that, although it's been a long time ago, having won the premium competition should equate to a few extra points, as well as a star on our shirts. It's a bit like those that consider there was no football before the PL, have decided that no weight should be given to performances in European competitions before 2018/19. I know that I should accept that it is as it is and it doesn't matter because we can beat whoever they put in front of us, but won't anyone think of the poor seeded team, that faces the prospect of being drawn against the mighty Aston Villa?:D 

Permutations in Italy and Spain today for the Europa Conference spots:

La Liga:
7th Osasuna - 50 pts
8th Athletic Bilbao - 50 pts
9th Girona - 49pts
10th Rayo Vallecano - 49pts
11th Sevilla - 49pts

Mallorca vs Rayo Vallecano
Real Sociedad vs Sevilla
Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao
Osasuna vs Girona

If Osasuna win at home to Girona, they qualify. Anything else and it gets tricky as Spain sorts team level on points by head to head rather than goal difference, so it's a minefield. In the highly, highly unlikely event that Sevilla finish 7th, Spain would vacate their Europa Conference League spot for next season as Sevilla are already in the Champions League next season.

Serie A:
5th Atalanta - 61 pts
6th Roma - 60 pts
7th Juventus - 59 pts

Atalanta vs Monza
Roma vs Spezia
Udinese vs Juventus

Roma and Atalanta are in pole position for the Europa League spots with two home games that are very winnable. Juventus would have to hope that either slip up and they win to get a Europa League spot.

In the event that Juventus are barred from Europe next season by UEFA for financial irregularities, Atalanta and Roma would take the Europa League spots and the Conference League spot would be passed down to Fiorentina who finished 8th. If Fiorentina manage to beat West Ham on Wednesday in the Europa Conference League Final, then similar to Sevilla's position, that space would also be vacated next season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

So would either no Spanish team or no Italian team push us into the seeded teams?

The Spanish scenario wouldn't make much difference to us as all those Spanish sides are below us anyway in the coefficient rankings.

It would be possible with the Italian scenario but it's difficult to know who would take the extra spot as they would be losers from the Europa League qualifying rounds and that is currently unknown.

It has actually happened before when Unai Emery won the Europa League with Villarreal in 2021 and Spain had to vacate a spot in the Europa Conference League the following season.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cyrusr said:

To be honest, whilst the stats/tables are fun, even if we do end up unseeded I am not too worried. We need to beat the best anyway if we want to win the cup anyway so it doesn’t matter too much when. I am also confident with Emery we will be massively prepared for whoever we face.

Yes to this for the most part and in a straight knockout I’d entirely agree, but I’d rather have one ‘easy’ opponent then an exciting group so we get at least a few games and can plan out some travel etc with more than a fortnight’s notice.