Harvey Barnes

Delphinho123

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has played mainly left wing at Leicester, doesnt seem to have played up front or any other position at all certainly not this season

Emery uses a natural winger in that second striker slot, they don’t need any previous experience of playing CF. He’s turned John McGinn into a right mid and Emi Martinez into a sweeper keeper. I don’t know why people fixate so much on what players have done under different managers, when we have a coach who is clearly capable of transforming players in the space of a few weeks.

• Thanks 1

With the caveat that if Unai wants him then it's fine with me, I've never liked Barnes that much. He's a good player but I don't think he fits the way we play right now.

That said, I've been very wrong about players before so I can't really have such a strong opinion. I though Edouard would have been better than Watkins in the same way I now think Nico Williams would be better than Barnes. My hope is that we can get as many of Unai's A targets as possible. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

With the caveat that if Unai wants him then it's fine with me, I've never liked Barnes that much. He's a good player but I don't think he fits the way we play right now.

That said, I've been very wrong about players before so I can't really have such a strong opinion. I though Edouard would have been better than Watkins in the same way I now think Nico Williams would be better than Barnes. My hope is that we can get as many of Unai's A targets as possible. 

It’s one of those where it feels like a lazy, obvious link which won’t happen.

But equally if we are going after him then Emery will have sanctioned it and will surely see something he can work with.

All the negative stuff people are saying about Barnes in this thread … we’ve heard this kind of thing about literally every player in the current squad, and Emery has turned perceptions around.

I’d be positive about literally any signing Emery makes because I back him to work his magic on most players.

I think he improves our squad and would be a solid option if we miss out on other targets. Not sure he improves out first 11 all that much but if Unai wants him then cool. Go for it. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Depends on the price for me, I suspect we could find better value from abroad, but... the fact he's English might mean we move for him - I think we're quite tight on the English trained squad numbers, and that'll be even closer once Steer goes...

He's also more reliable than Traore, as much as we love him, and probably Bailey too.

This might well happen

• Thanks 1

Just now, StewieGriffin said:

Depends on the price for me, I suspect we could find better value from abroad, but... the fact he's English might mean we move for him - I think we're quite tight on the English trained squad numbers, and that'll be even closer once Steer goes...

He's also more reliable than Traore, as much as we love him, and probably Bailey too.

This might well happen

Yeah I don't think there's much of an argument about certain qualities in his game. His goal record is fairly good.

But he's not a £40m player. The same way Buendia wasn't when we spent £35-40m on him.

Suppose you can factor in the Unai factor (xU) and think if he can do this to McGinn and Watkins, what could he do for Barnes.

One thing is for sure. No one will be coming in without Unai being fully on board.

Cant believe some of the criticism he is getting.

Barnes is a very good player and can play in most attacking roles. Can play both ways.

I'd have him over a 1 in 10 performance from traore or bailey who are out and out wingers all day. More consistent and puts up better numbers.

Edited by Bazmonkey
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Emery uses a natural winger in that second striker slot, they don’t need any previous experience of playing CF. He’s turned John McGinn into a right mid and Emi Martinez into a sweeper keeper. I don’t know why people fixate so much on what players have done under different managers, when we have a coach who is clearly capable of transforming players in the space of a few weeks.

Exactly my thoughts. Football is strange, we all watch the same game with a presumed base level of knowledge and yet I can look at Barnes and think “this is exactly who Emery would love playing off Watkins” and someone else can think “he doesn’t suit that at all.” Keeps it interesting I guess. What’s annoying is when people are like “oh if you think that you can’t have watched him as much as me” as if we haven’t all been proven wrong about particular players at different times.

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

But he's not a £40m player

Has any Championship/relegated player ever gone for close to that amount? If they go down I think it’ll be more like £20-25m and there will be plenty of takers at that price.

Watched a bit of him recently under deano and it's a no for me, I just don't see, he's a 6/10 pretty average player who's done absolutely nothing for them to get them out of the shit, he was one that I was looking to step up and he just hasn't

Maddison the same, don't see it

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

He's got 34 in 145. That's alright tbf

Let’s also note that that 34/145 total includes, for example, multiple substitute appearances at 18 or 19 years old. Over the last three seasons when he’s been more established it’s 27 goals in 90 games which is not far off 1 in 3.

Edit: I know the point of your post was not to get drawn into stats but just think citing 34 in 145 does him a disservice. 

Edited by Adam2003

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watched a bit of him recently under deano and it's a no for me, I just don't see, he's a 6/10 pretty average player who's done absolutely nothing for them to get them out of the shit, he was one that I was looking to step up and he just hasn't

Maddison the same, don't see it

This is a fair point and sadly (for Leicester) one you can say about all of their players. Sadly as a Deano fan have to say they must be disappointed with his efforts as well (win today and that might all change…)

9 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Has any Championship/relegated player ever gone for close to that amount? If they go down I think it’ll be more like £20-25m and there will be plenty of takers at that price.

We signed Buendia just after their Championship season. He'd played a season of the PL and looked good in an awful Norwich side. Not £40m good, but like he could play football.

Barnes scores goals, has ability on the ball and can be a handful on the left wing, but whenever I've watched him he looks like he plays for himself and not the team. He hardly ever assists which is a prerequisite for a wide man, he holds on to the ball too long and his passing is hit and miss. Also his defensive contribution is practically nil. Even the Leicester fans think he is a one trick pony, good for just charging up the wing for a one on one with the right full back, and nothing else.

It's been said on forums recently that he is "lazy", "stupid", "avoids physical contact" and "is the worst defensively in the squad". I read on a forum yesterday that he should definitely avoid going to Villa because "he would be required to work his bum off, and he's not up for that". Leicester fans also say that he wouldn't be a first choice over any Villa midfielders so would be a bench player, and some say that it feels like they're playing with ten men when Barnes is on the pitch.

Twelve goals this season is impressive, but the rest of his game would drag Villa down.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Barnes scores goals, has ability on the ball and can be a handful on the left wing, but whenever I've watched him he looks like he plays for himself and not the team. He hardly ever assists which is a prerequisite for a wide man, he holds on to the ball too long and his passing is hit and miss. Also his defensive contribution is practically nil. Even the Leicester fans think he is a one trick pony, good for just charging up the wing for a one on one with the right full back, and nothing else.

It's been said on forums recently that he is "lazy", "stupid", "avoids physical contact" and "is the worst defensively in the squad". I read on a forum yesterday that he should definitely avoid going to Villa because "he would be required to work his bum off, and he's not up for that". Leicester fans also say that he wouldn't be a first choice over any Villa midfielders so would be a bench player, and some say that it feels like they're playing with ten men when Barnes is on the pitch.

Twelve goals this season is impressive, but the rest of his game would drag Villa down.  

Thanks, interesting points - the laziness / lack of defensive contribution would definitely be an issue if it’s a genuine long term feature of his game. And would also suggest Emery wouldn’t sign him tbh.

He’s a strange one, I think he has the attributes to be a much more successful player than he has been so far, but I guess the Leicester fans are more tuned into this.

28 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Thanks, interesting points - the laziness / lack of defensive contribution would definitely be an issue if it’s a genuine long term feature of his game. And would also suggest Emery wouldn’t sign him tbh.

He’s a strange one, I think he has the attributes to be a much more successful player than he has been so far, but I guess the Leicester fans are more tuned into this.

He concedes a fair few fouls and I don’t think he’s got the discipline Unai wants. 

Â