Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/23 at 22:59

Well, that has ruined this wonderful day. The realisation that forum posters who do not know the difference between there/ their/ they're nor should've/ should of will be on here in 3 months attempting Kazakhstan, Olimpija Llubljana, Paide Linnameeskond, etc. 😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That was a special Villa Park day.

You knew the atmosphere would be good right from the arrival of the coaches - I'm sure whoever it was at Villa Park who arranged it was a little surprised when they remembered Brighton would arrive just before us, but from the first chimes of "F*** the Albion" right through to the smoke and cheers that greeted our bus it set the scene for one of the loudest Villa Park games I've heard. The atmosphere pre-kick off and into the game was brilliant, there were some nerves after Brighton scored and through to full time, but the crowd were completely behind the team for the whole 90 minutes. Then at the full time whistle, the noise of the first roar, the volume in that first "Hi ho Aston Villa", the little celebration songbook of Sweet Caroline and Don't Look Back In Anger, the applause for the players and the delighted cheer in response to that very special "Good evening" from our very special manager, then right through to his final lap with our amazing owners - was incredible, just, a wonderful noisy day in the sunshine, one that will stay in hearts and minds for a long, long time.

The football itself was of the type we're becoming used to; brave, incisive, organised, planned, thought out passing and movement that creates goals, players doing the things they're good at and making things happen. Diligent, ferocious pressing from the front and hard running from every man, from the front to the back - if I'd written that in December, you'd have had me locked up - but here we are, with a team full of talent that plays great football under an extraordinary manager. I thought Ramsey in particular shone today, driving at the Brighton defence over and over again, but everyone did well and they worked ridiculously hard. Brighton were a little more spiky than I'd expected but they play the right way too and it made for a very good game of football that I'm sure a neutral would have enjoyed, free from the massive blanket of anxiety that the rest of us peeped out from under.

I thought the VAR decisions were probably correct, but the referee's second half performance was so diabolical I would not have been surprised to see John McGinn pull off his mask to reveal Daniel Levy on the final whistle - it was an awful second half in which he seemed to be very, very keen to ensure that Premier League money-spinner Tottenham Hotspur should benefit - perish the thought.

And then there's the achievement, the reason why we went out and got this manager, the reason why we spent all this money, the reason why these players have worked themselves into the ground this afternoon - back in Europe after 13 years - and deservedly so - Thursday nights under the lights against teams from all over the shop and maybe one or two very good ones - a team on the edge of the relegation places six months ago, without form, idea, direction or motivation, now taking it's place in the experimental side theatre of European football after the most incredible period of change under the most wonderful manager.

The team looked utterly delighted, and like they wanted to celebrate with each other, the stands at Villa Park were just full of smiles, hugs and delight, the sun shone and we produced when it mattered. I loved it, I may have a drink.

We're back - Villa's a big club mate!

What a lovely, interesting, heartwarming post. Well put!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

OK. Just looked like the pre and post match was all from Goodison Park. It was poor. It would be nice to see those post match scenes properly if anyone has a link. 

I agree, it’s rubbish. I wasn’t suggesting it was an error more I was pointing out that somewhere we should get some post match interviews (but clearly not live!). 

3 Live streams from sky but all switched to Goodison, surely those watching the Villa match were more interested in that and it’s European story otherwise we would have been watching the live Everton feed?

• Like 1

On my way to my mates wedding in Lewes, a fellow Villa fan (with a terribly timed wedding, if ever there was one.) I'm running super late after taking my time to revel in the absolutely epic day today turned out to be. 

It really is hard to believe, from relegation form to Europe in just a few short months. 

The whole team should rightly be proud of the effort, and the manager, well, what a legend in the making. 

I've followed villa closely since the early 90's, including having a season ticket in 96. (I'm on the wait list again now) and I've seen what in retrospect have been a few false dawns. This feels different, like it could become something truly special. Never had such confidence in a manager, he could probably walk on water if he tried. 

What a great end to the season, I really cannot wait until the next now 

Edited by Dan-BrightonVillan
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The single worst refereeing performance I've ever seen.

Steady on Rodders old chap! 😃

That's that a very damning accusation and a pretty low bar but we must have seen worse recently or have we????

He certainly looked in danger of completely losing control of the game. His assistants did not help him much. The guy on the Trinity road failed to flag for many blatant wresting challenges directly in front of him

Hopefully they are better in Europe.😂

Really solid performance today, thought we nullified their most important players and midfield did very very good work at getting into them. Unai Emery, what a dignified gentleman, was great to hear him on the mic at the end, we are so lucky to have him. Good atmosphere and there was a bit of a brighton love in with us at the end there as their fans were clapping us. buendia's wife was smoking hot 😍

The atmosphere today was incredible, my ears are still ringing two hours after leaving the stadium.   I'll need to watch the game back but I felt Unai's in game managment was excellent again, we aren't afraid to shithouse when we have to and we can play football too but it's the little on the pitch adjustments which often prove the difference. Brighton were playing through us time and again in the first half and I'm not sure what was said at half time but it didn't happen once in the second.  We should have probably scored a third goal, on another day we probably would have done but 7th and Europe from where we were under Gerrard is incredible.   I'm excited to see what we do in the Summer and I think I'm going to have to try to get to an European away game even if it's against some club I've never heard of in Bulgaria. 

• Like 4

Well, so much for an end of season stroll in the sunshine.😃

A great performance by the team today. It needed to be, it was a lot more physical than you would have expected from Brighton or a team with nothing to play for.

We are unrecognisable from the shambles of early in the season. There is a real spine to this team. Again, it was Martinez, Mings, McGinn and Luis who held the whole show together.

Emery has worked miracles by getting us into European competition from the position we were in when he took over. His man management, his tactical nous, his professionalism, his calmness, his aura have all been incredible. We could not have picked a better man to inherit the hot seat at Villa Park. 

What a platform now to build on. The future should be very bright if we  can stay on this trajectory.

UTV

Edited by Lochheads twin
  • Like 4

Onwards and upwards it’s all looking very positive hopefully next season some of our fan base can stop fixating on how supposedly shit the officials are …look at other forums all fans think the officials are shit let’s grow up a bit and focus on how good our players,  manager and owners are. We are not victims , we are better than that surely.

27 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The atmosphere today was incredible, my ears are still ringing two hours after leaving the stadium.   

I don’t think I have ever heard the Lower Holte concourse so loud before a game before.

• Like 2

wow. jacob and SJM massive.  Mings and Konsa looked really shaky for a while but truned up immaculate later on.  I was outraged at many of the referee decisions, until I had a moment to take my villa glasses off and then he was overall pretty reasonable.  

The most annoying thing in the match was Gross and Mac Allister complaining in the referees face after every call and non call the entire match long.  That coupled with the screaming and holding the lower back when it had never been touched after minor contact was offensively attempting to cheat.  I though  Brighton was better than that.   Did they turn into scum for the last match or had I just not paid enough attendion in their previous matches?

All that aside the turn around post Gerard is beyond belief.  UTV, Europe.

I felt pretty confident today but Brighton really showed they were a long way from the beach and it was a tough game.  I thought both sides played some great football.  I was impressed with them, their interplay going forward and their playing it out from the back reminded me of us.  Particularly impressed with Enciso who was having Cash on toast first half.  Cash did better against Mitoma second half.  One of the better attacking sides I've seen at VP for a while. That said we played some superb stuff as well and still carved out about 8 great chances and should perhaps have won a bit more easily. 

Ramsey was outstanding (apart from the one bad miss) and seems to have added dribbling at pace to his game.  Shout out for Digne who I thought was very steady at LB and put in some decent crosses too.  Bailey and Buendia maybe a bit off it, Cash beaten too easily once or twice by Enciso,  but everyone else solid.  

Great atmosphere and nice to see all the mutual appreciation at the end with all the kids cavorting on the pitch as well. 

Emery - what a man!

• Like 4

Â