Dani Ceballos (Real Madrid)

HalfTimePost

A couple of links now (listed below). From Mercato and El Nacional Catalonia. Marca had also said Ceballos is leaving Madrid - but our only mention in it was linked to Asensio 

I feel like he would be a sensible signing, he should be better than his time at Arsenal and is on a free. As long as he's paid like a rotation or normal First Team player it could make sense - rather than one of the highest earners.

I have my doubts though on that considering he'd be a Free from Real Madrid, the cost is likely high.

His stats are good even if his goal involvements are pretty low (3 Assists in 18 Starts and 19 sub appearances). As a rotation for McGinn/Ramsey he'd be a good signing imo. Though I feel like Guendouzi would be a more impactful signing and can't see us signing both.

spacer.png

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

On 20/05/2023 at 21:32, Tomaszk said:

Very talented but Ceballos is a right wally. Proper bonehead on the pitch IMO.

If he had a genius like Emery saying be in exactly these areas and do exactly these things he could be brilliant.

At his worst, he's exactly like Buendia on one of his off days. Does 90% of the hard work but still wastes the ball 90% of the time.

I think he's only worth bringing in if Emery thinks he's nailed to start most of our bigger games.

• Like 1

Same as a few players we've been linked with...any other manager I'd be indifferent to this one.

Under Emery....I know he's what he needs, I know he will fit and I know he will know exactly what to do with him.

Why there isn't much point anymore commenting in the transfer thread or player speculation thread of " I didn't rate him at City." " I didn't rate him at Arsenal."

The guy in charge is the real mother****ing deal yo.

• Like 2

Had some decent early games at Arsenal and then faded badly.

Agree with Tom above, he can carry the ball o.k but passing inconsistent once he reaches the box.

I don't think he'd be the gamechanger in final third many think he will be.

I'd take FBref profiles of players from clubs such as Madrid with a pinch of salt: they're not possession adjusted so they do tend to get quite inflated when playing for a club with more possession & on the front foot, so they're not as reflective of a player's quality.

His Smarterscout profile suggests a midfielder who is very, very good at defending and link-up play, who shouldn't be relied on for creating too many chances himself: which seems to be exactly how he's used at Madrid.

image.png.245e3a0be9bc7d47fe5ed6a72c340413.png

image.thumb.png.8bb257ab2a426d0a2240eb6f989880eb.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I'd take FBref profiles of players from clubs such as Madrid with a pinch of salt: they're not possession adjusted so they do tend to get quite inflated when playing for a club with more possession & on the front foot, so they're not as reflective of a player's quality.

His Smarterscout profile suggests a midfielder who is very, very good at defending and link-up play, who shouldn't be relied on for creating too many chances himself: which seems to be exactly how he's used at Madrid.

His numbers at Arsenal might be a better indicator in that sense given the level they were on at the time, they fluctuate a little bit and suggest he maybe had different responsibilities from one season to another but still healthy enough on the whole.

• Like 1

Ceballos is decent on the ball, emery wants ut to take our time and build the play and then exploit the space left behind when the opposition gets frustrated and comes out to us. The bench was the big weak area for us and cost us a few points over the season this year, he won't play every game and definitely won't be a marquee signing but its probably a good move for both the player and club. He can get a few assists for us aswell, i think he is better than what he showed at Arsenal and he wasnt bad there

14 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

So a bit like the midfielders we already have..? Good on the ball but don't create an awful lot of chances?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

His numbers at Arsenal might be a better indicator in that sense given the level they were on at the time, they fluctuate a little bit and suggest he maybe had different responsibilities from one season to another but still healthy enough on the whole.

Smarterscout seems to think he largely played DM under Emery, but their way of judging what positions players are in is weird at the best of times. They're still relatively indicative of his general qualities, though (but they've been adjusted differently, given how DMs are naturally expected to defend better and attack less than CMs)

image.thumb.png.9cc55b228d3a27480c4a7256f8a43d6f.png

If Emery wants him that's good enough for me, and on a free you can't really go wrong - (I assume his wages won't be astronomical).

This is the kind of signing you'd see popping up in a CL KO game with Villareal, and wonder why we didn't sign him on a free ourselves. 

• Like 1

Openly pining for a fascist dictator when he was 19—maybe he's grown out of it, but I like to like our players. He seems like a prick, and not in any good "we need a bit of backbone" sense.

He was quite negatively outspoken about Basque people too, yet Emery signed him for Arsenal, so maybe he's calmed down a bit.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Not super high on Ceballos tbh. Early promise but he's mainly been a bit part player who's not scored or assisted any since he left Betis, granted for a very good club (and also Arsenal) so it's hard to say how he's developed. Not sure where he'd fit in either apart from as a good squad option.

Asensio on the other hand would be amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Not super high on Ceballos tbh. Early promise but he's mainly been a bit part player who's not scored or assisted any since he left Betis, granted for a very good club (and also Arsenal) so it's hard to say how he's developed. Not sure where he'd fit in either apart from as a good squad option.

Asensio on the other hand would be amazing.

We can't really judge a player based purely on the numbers. McGinn for instance doesn't get a whole lot of goals or assists, would we turn our noses up at him if we were linked with him now? We know from watching him that McGinn is better than his stats suggest.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We can't really judge a player based purely on the numbers. McGinn for instance doesn't get a whole lot of goals or assists, would we turn our noses up at him if we were linked with him now? We know from watching him that McGinn is better than his stats suggest.  

Of course not, and I'm not. I'd say I've watched most of the PL games Ceballos played for Arsenal and probably half he played for Betis before his big move to Real. For Real it's hard to say because as mentioned he's been a bit part player with a lot of sub appearances so difficult to get a rhythm going. He's looked OK from what I've seen. Similar situation to say Pulisic or Ziyech. Who knows if they'll flourish at a new club or if they've grown comfortable with being squad option.

• Like 1

What's his pass to the assist ratio? A lot of the time, an assist is due to a great pass that splits defences. 

Players like that can slip under the radar. 

Â