The Aston Villa high line thread

Follyfoot

19 minutes ago, Olof82Mellberg4 said:

I don't think this could be further from the truth.

Spurs main tactic is to break the offside trap with balls over the top, Kane and Son have scored countless goals like that. This is also the main reason they had 9 offsides.

We took on their biggest strength and beat them

Most of their offsides came from balls through the middle, along the floor though? They weren't hitting us with diagonals over the top.

Second man runners is the key to breaking through any line. Utd did it pretty well. So did Liverpool on boxing day.

A midfielder or another forward almost chases their own man through and the deeper one picks up the ball.

I do think once we get torn apart once, everyone will copy. BUT we don't play the high line to that degree we saw v Spurs every game. It's fixture dependent from the boss, and he knows what he's doing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Most of their offsides came from balls through the middle, along the floor though? They weren't hitting us with diagonals over the top.

Liverpool love a diagonal 

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Second man runners is the key to breaking through any line. Utd did it pretty well. So did Liverpool on boxing day.

A midfielder or another forward almost chases their own man through and the deeper one picks up the ball.

I do think once we get torn apart once, everyone will copy. BUT we don't play the high line to that degree we saw v Spurs every game. It's fixture dependent from the boss, and he knows what he's doing.

Exactly, the aggressive high line is chosen when Emery feels we'll win the midfield battle. If he thinks our press and work rate in the compacted space will get us the turnovers and quick counter attacks. 

• Like 1

This is only a topic of conversation because Spurs were absolutely abysmal in breaking the high line down.  Just finished rewatching, Richarlison and Son getting caught out again and again was the height of entertainment. Spurs are rudderless, Poch will be gone by Christmas. 

• Like 1

The high line thing is perennial pundit bollocks.

The reason it gets picked up is when a high line goes wrong it’s very obvious.

But usually it goes wrong because you have slow defenders, lazy defenders who don’t hold the line properly, or just really quality opposition with loads of pace in attack.

Our defenders are quick, hold the line really well, and Spurs don’t have the passing quality behind the strikers to exploit a high line.

Emery made the right call.

Maybe he’ll do a low block against Liverpool. MOTD making out he’s a one trick pony for some reason. Bizarre.

• Like 1

I think what the idiots on the BBC are (also) missing is that we don't play that high in every match.  Unai adjusts it according to the opponent and situation.  Plenty of times we've played in a much deeper block.  

• Like 1

The press always needs something to talk about, regularly get it wrong and never apologise for it. 

Under this manager we adjust the tactics to suit the opponent, if they bothered to watch Villa regularly they would get it, not a one off on a team who weren’t good enough to break us down.

6 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

This is only a topic of conversation because Spurs were absolutely abysmal in breaking the high line down.  Just finished rewatching, Richarlison and Son getting caught out again and again was the height of entertainment. Spurs are rudderless, Poch will be gone by Christmas. 

Is it 2019?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Jesus watching leicester play that high line is giving me nightmares for saturday. Its perfect for Liverpool tactics

Liverpool exploited it well at VP earlier in the season with Darwin and Salah getting in behind us multiple times, from memory.

58 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Liverpool exploited it well at VP earlier in the season with Darwin and Salah getting in behind us multiple times, from memory.

We were also in the infancy of Emery’s reign. And We’d moved from a low to mid block to an ultra high line. However we had countless chances to kill them off too.

Imagine if Man City, Man Utd or Liverpool had caught the opposition offside almost 50% more often than any other team - all we would be hearing about is how wonderful and disciplined their defenders are and what a tactical genius their manager is.  But if any club outside the Sly 6 does anything well, it feels like parts of the media are desperate for them to fail or to claim that it is luck that will eventually run out.

• Like 2

Do we think the motd pundits have much input into the highlights/analysis or just talk through whatever the producer/editors have put together for them. On a full Saturday they obviously won't have watched all the games and no more than highlights of some so I assume they get given the offside stat and told the clips will be about villa's high line and wing it from there. 

33 minutes ago, allani said:

Imagine if Man City, Man Utd or Liverpool had caught the opposition offside almost 50% more often than any other team - all we would be hearing about is how wonderful and disciplined their defenders are and what a tactical genius their manager is.  But if any club outside the Sly 6 does anything well, it feels like parts of the media are desperate for them to fail or to claim that it is luck that will eventually run out.

Look at Pep and Klopp moving Stones and TAA infield, they’re being hailed as tactical geniuses. If Emery did something similar, it would Only be a matter of time before we’re “found out”

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Do we think the motd pundits have much input into the highlights/analysis or just talk through whatever the producer/editors have put together for them. On a full Saturday they obviously won't have watched all the games and no more than highlights of some so I assume they get given the offside stat and told the clips will be about villa's high line and wing it from there. 

Alan Hansen used to go for a nap in the afternoon, come back around 7pm and see what people had done for him.

If this makes opposition teams revert to long balls that just good imo.

Will be easier for us to regain possession and control matches.

Big test on Saturday of the high line if any team can exploit it, its Liverpool.

I have every faith that Emery will tinker the tactics to suit the opposition though so we might not even play the high line.

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Big test on Saturday of the high line if any team can exploit it, its Liverpool.

I have every faith that Emery will tinker the tactics to suit the opposition though so we might not even play the high line.

Where is all this high line talk come from?  Because we played one against Spurs? They are a counter attacking team, the high line made sense. Liverpool are not, I'm sure Emery is aware of this.

• Like 1

Â