The Aston Villa high line thread

Follyfoot

The problem I have with the take they presented on MOTD was that they just assumed we'd play like that regardless of opposition. Kane and Son, for their strengths are not massively quick, so it's much less of a risk. And we've got pacey CBs, so it can be our preferred style, but we'll not be on the halfway line for Liverpool, clearly.

The lack of faith the media in the UK have of Emery is just astonishing. 

• Like 1

It's only getting coverage because of the VAR policy of having the linesman keeping his flag down. Under the old rules no one would pick it up on it and it'd be villa nullified spurs who were absolutely shite.

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The problem I have with the take they presented on MOTD was that they just assumed we'd play like that regardless of opposition. Kane and Son, for their strengths are not massively quick, so it's much less of a risk. And we've got pacey CBs, so it can be our preferred style, but we'll not be on the halfway line for Liverpool, clearly.

i dunno, Son is rapid.

Media sour grapes cos their beloved Spurs got beat. We didn't see the VAR lines cos they'd already decided it was a penalty and couldn't go back on that.

If it walks like cheating and talks like cheating, you know rhe rest.

We are playing the high line very well, zero outfield goals conceded in 6 home games in a row, that's no fluke

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Spurs were stupid. They tried all these passes centrally when Mings and Konsa could watch the ball and Son/Richarlison and time it perfectly. 

Brentford beat it best. Split the forwards wide of Mings and Konsa and blindside of them and hit diagonals so that they had to rely on communication to time the trap. 

Liverpool will come from wide too (especially Salah) so we won’t be as high

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

It can absolutely be exploited. Liverpool and Salah will be a big test (if we decide to play in that way against them). But it's hard to argue against the success we've been having with it.

Darwin completely destroyed us in the reverse fixture. He is absolutely rapid. I think we might see him start.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Darwin completely destroyed us in the reverse fixture. He is absolutely rapid. I think we might see him start.

Since Emery is a clever boy I imagine we will not play in a identical way against Plop to what we did against Spurs. Horses for courses and so on.

• Like 2

Well the deep runs are killing Leicester but I will say that we are better at executing the high line and offside trap than most teams in the league..

Kamara will probably be important on Saturday

Edited by Reivax_Villa

Our highline is an art form, Leicester are a mess be a different animal at Anfield the week end, Emery will be all over this game tonight fine tuning his tactics for our troops for the rest of the week 💪Emery's got this.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Jesus watching leicester play that high line is giving me nightmares for saturday. Its perfect for Liverpool tactics

yeah, i was surprised we tried it with Liverpool last time, they like to play a high line themselves, but they also have the perfect players to break other teams high lines.

I wonder if we will do the high line again, or drop deeper like we did in our early away games under Emery.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, i was surprised we tried it with Liverpool last time, they like to play a high line themselves, but they also have the perfect players to break other teams high lines.

I wonder if we will do the high line again, or drop deeper like we did in our early away games under Emery.

Back 6 and counter?

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I don't think this could be further from the truth.

Spurs main tactic is to break the offside trap with balls over the top, Kane and Son have scored countless goals like that. This is also the main reason they had 9 offsides.

We took on their biggest strength and beat them

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

After watching Match of the Day and also listening to national radio we will apparently get found out big time next season if we continue with our 'suicidal' high line. 

Apparently if Son had waited a split second on each occasion and also finished better we would have lost the game (if my Auntie had a cock etc...)

Is  there merit in the criticism or is it just sour grapes from the London centric press?  

Liverpool have played a very high line under Klopp. They're second in number of offsides to us since Nov because they concede less chances than we do. It's not something new under Emery to the League. It also can go very wrong, just rewatch our 7-2 win over them. 

The absolute key to it is the press intensity. The high line compacts the space between the players and compacts the pitch. It's important to give no players time on te ball to look up and pick the pass in behind. It also requires an elite sweeper GK who reads game well to work. Liverpool obviously have the best GK in the world so it's why they've been so good at it.

You also need CBs with recovery speed, when the offside trap is beaten they need to be quick players to get back in scramble defence and a GK again who is good in one on ones and a good shot stopper

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Back 6 and counter?

urm, maybe, or maybe not quite that defensive, but also not as aggressive as the super high line, i dunno! :)

Will see what Emery does i guess?

Â