Aston Villa Kits 23/24

ferguson1

On 08/08/2023 at 17:29, NurembergVillan said:

PS - if you made it to the end of that post, you can award yourself an MSc in Materials Science.

I was thinking of joining this Sparks Design Academy thing but I don't think I need to now, cheers mate!

• Haha 3

It's annoying when you see the league home kits and there just isn't much difference between ours, West Hams and Burnleys kit, take the badge off and they can all pass as each others kit. Wish we were more unique in our colours

Edited by supermon

On 08/08/2023 at 17:28, NurembergVillan said:

First off - it's glaringly obvious when you look at the players that they're wet through. This isn't ideal...

Given the weight of the fabric (based on what I saw last season) it's unlikely that the players are "sweating more". It's also unlikely to affect on-field performance as a result.

Sweat on the skin actually helps to cool the body down - as you move, the air cools the liquid which cools you. In theory, if you dry yourself then you'll simply start sweating again.

In terms of performance fabrics, "wicking" is where a material moves liquid (sweat) from one side of the garment to the other - in this case from the inside to the outside. From there, the air will allow the liquid to evaporate. Fabrics that are wet to the outside are normally doing their job properly.

There's a limit to how much impact wicking fabrics can have though. If you're sweating profusely, no fabric in the world is going to wick the moisture and dry it quicker than you can produce it. Anyone claiming otherwise is talking bollocks.

At this point (and often what I aim to achieve in my own work) it's about making wet feel comfortable. Then you get some cooling benefit AND you're not distracting the athlete.

These shirts look like they're clinging to the players and so that's possibly uncomfortable and a distraction. It doesn't mean it's necessarily an active distraction, it's just the wearer is more likely to be aware of it. The best feedback you can get from an athlete is no feedback at all, IMHO.

The stuff I designed for 2006 was super lightweight so it wet out very quickly. It was also textured, so it didn't stick to the skin of the players so easily.

It's a fine balance because whilst a heavier fabric will be more absorbent and therefore look and potentially feel drier, it's also going to be a lot heavier still once it's soaked with sweat. Like a bath towel when you take it out of the washing machine (assuming you're all modern men who do some housework).

SO - it could be intentional for the fabric to move the sweat like that BUT I very much doubt that visual during a match is something they would've wanted or been happy with. If the fabric was tested on athletes (rather than just in a lab) I'm guessing it was in a colour that didn't show the dark marks - maybe even black and white stripes...

Unless the players are overheating in it (which I doubt, but I'd need to see the shirt) it's unlikely to be causing them a problem beyond being a bit uncomfortable. If it's that much of an issue for them, we'll find out because they'll start playing in the replica...

Thanks!

Sulberto 21.MSc materials science

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Haha 1

On 08/08/2023 at 17:29, NurembergVillan said:

PS - if you made it to the end of that post, you can award yourself an MSc in Materials Science.

I did so thanks!

"These shirts look like they're clinging to the players and so that's possibly uncomfortable and a distraction. It doesn't mean it's necessarily an active distraction, it's just the wearer is more likely to be aware of it. The best feedback you can get from an athlete is no feedback at all, IMHO."

I run regularly and have a number of different T-shirts  obviously....

The ones that cling quickly find their way out of my rotation.

Whilst not being particularly uncomfortable it is a distraction to me and also like the pictures of the Villa players we are discussing....it just looks bad!

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, supermon said:

It's annoying when you see the league home kits and there just isn't much difference between ours, West Hams and Burnleys kit, take the badge off and they can all pass as each others kit. Wish we were more unique in our colours

Personally, I am no more concerned that West Ham and Burnley nicked our kit than I am that Australia and New Zealand have the Union Jack in the corner of their flags.

39 minutes ago, Chasetown Villa said:

Went to the club shop yesterday to pick up the away shirt for my son. No kids away tops due to ‘supply issues’ despite Twitter stating the kit would be in store on Friday. It’s an absolute shitshow. We are operating at League 2 level when it comes to merchandise. 

Further to my post before I had an email last night apologising for a cock up at the distribution centre or some such shite and 25% off my next order

On 12/08/2023 at 19:25, Spoony said:

I’m a bit concerned that they all look like they’ve been playing in Dubai at peak summer. Does this kit wick nothing away??

Can we just wear last season’s again? 😂

Was drastically better, this one is the worst since promotion 🤦‍♂️

On 12/08/2023 at 06:09, Chasetown Villa said:

Went to the club shop yesterday to pick up the away shirt for my son. No kids away tops due to ‘supply issues’ despite Twitter stating the kit would be in store on Friday. It’s an absolute shitshow. We are operating at League 2 level when it comes to merchandise. 

It's Castore. They are known within thr industry to not be able to meet demand.

Yet still get contracts.

I think, someone on this forum, with some influence, should write to the powers that be and ask players to stop pouring water over themselves.

This will be particularly important when temperatures start approaching zero or below.

On 11/08/2023 at 10:32, id92 said:

Yeah looks legit, not going to be a fan favourite in years to come, a bit like the navy blue Kappa 3rd kit. 

IMG_5710.jpeg

That navy kit was one of my favourite away kits. I wear that alot. This is just no comparison whatsoever. Looks every "england 90s"

On 12/08/2023 at 19:25, Spoony said:

I’m a bit concerned that they all look like they’ve been playing in Dubai at peak summer. Does this kit wick nothing away??

This is a genuine concern btw. It must be hindering the players.