Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We're just missing thar bit of quality in key positions, kamara back in, 2 x CL quality players in for Buendia and then out on the right and we should be there

When I watch Bailey and buendia now I can’t help thinking of spurs when they sold bale for £90 million and tried to replace him with about 4 players. I seem to remember purslow saying when Jack left that we had replaced his output across Bailey,  buendia and I think Ings but like spurs you see why the player leaving costs what they cost and trying to replace them with a few players fails because ultimately those players are so far short if the level that you lose. I know we wouldn’t have got a £70/80 million player to replace Jack but I do think you need to replace with as close to the level of quality you lose as possible not spread the numbers across 3/4 players, this isn’t baseball it doesn’t work like this in football.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

When I watch Bailey and buendia now I can’t help thinking of spurs when they sold bale for £90 million and tried to replace him with about 4 players. I seem to remember purslow saying when Jack left that we had replaced his output across Bailey,  buendia and I think Ings but like spurs you see why the player leaving costs what they cost and trying to replace them with a few players fails because ultimately those players are so far short if the level that you lose. I know we wouldn’t have got a £70/80 million player to replace Jack but I do think you need to replace with as close to the level of quality you lose as possible not spread the numbers across 3/4 players, this isn’t baseball it doesn’t work like this in football.

Good job there's a summer window to sort it out. No issue with Buendia staying as squad player, think we'll move Bailey on if likes of Ajax show interest again.

While they're always great stories if they come off it's important we don't get sucked into too many Duran type transfers this summer as ultimately we won't get enough points to improve on next season if that's a serious plan B option.

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

You are one of my favourite posters.  I go to games with lads who played and non of them rate Bailey.

I had a bit of a row last week at the Fulham game when I said Traori was a crap player with moments of brilliance.  I actually am a fan of Bertie but He isn't good enough.

My favourite player is Biendia  but I would have him replaced if we could find  someone better.  Bailey really is hopeless unless he gets the ball on his left foot cutting in from the right., then He might score.

Every coach in the World in their team talk (even non league) would say to their Full Back show him on to his right foot..

you are too kind, and I thank you for that.

I am certainly not disagreeing with you, I was just questioning the footballing bit, suggesting that players who have played the game, know more about the spectacle than fans.....some do, some don't.

Some fans are extremely well versed in tactics and the appraisal of players. I too have known top players in the past, and in terms of the spectacle, don't necessarily know more than some of us do, about the matchday game.

Where they score, is behind the scenes work, which they obviouisly know more, about and the fine coaching detail.

I guess a discerning fan of 50 odd years experience, would give a young 23 year old pro, a run for his money in analysing games.

When I watch a game, I am asking myself, what effect a player is having on the game....I don't cling to magic moments, albeit, I am entertained by them.....I look for consistency, and I look for how much a hard time, they are giving to opponents.

Flashy, moments don't necessarily influence me, in to thinking he is a good player.

When I watch games, I am struck by how many goals are scored at the back post, particularly in the air, from many teams, full backs ball watching.....So, if I was coaching, it would be an area, I would work on, just as one example.

20 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I agree and I think today showed we need a massive upgrade on the likes of Bailey, Bert and buendia. The football was relatively controlled although some of the passing in midfield was a bit sloppier than normal  but in the final third I thought we lacked cutting edge to break down a really poor team who we have gifted a goal to and then defended (well) for their lives. Also I feel they treated it far more like a derby than we did I thought they seemed more up for it than we did 

Agree…we have a good squad but it is all about consistency, no lack of effort tbf

23 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I agree and I think today showed we need a massive upgrade on the likes of Bailey, Bert and buendia. The football was relatively controlled although some of the passing in midfield was a bit sloppier than normal  but in the final third I thought we lacked cutting edge to break down a really poor team who we have gifted a goal to and then defended (well) for their lives. Also I feel they treated it far more like a derby than we did I thought they seemed more up for it than we did 

One Of the first times, That I disagree with him......when he said we played well in the first half.

I don't think we did, FWIW.

The passing and moving was clunky, and not slick in execution...it was predicatble too.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Grammar obviously not important when your goal in life is being balls deep in your pig-ugly sister. 

Haha! Just spat my drink out 🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

To lose 4 points to Wolves, show we still have much to do.

Who ever thought that we didn’t? The imminent arrival of Alemany isn’t just because the hierarchy like his taste in suits. We’re still very much at the start of the journey. 

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

🤬🤬🤬🤬I hate them

Hated. 

Well I thought we were good today, not great but good the stats back that up 62% possession, was it 14 attempts at goal, we've had 3 big chances in that game Beundia strike, great save, Watkins header & Mings from Dougie freekick, 3 weeks ago those chances were going in, in my eyes that's a stone wal penalty also his arm was away & horizontal from his body in an unnatural position. Glad to see Carlos back, that crossfield ball late on in the game was outrageous. But what today does shine a light on is our forward players, get Watkins on a new Contract & also go out & get another top striker, we also need 2 new wide/wingers & I'm sure we will address that in the summer. Been a great effort to even get this close to Europe considering where we were, so onwards & upwards, bring on next season & bring on the summer transfer window.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Well I thought we were good today, not great but good the stats back that up 62% possession, was it 14 attempts at goal, we've had 3 big chances in that game Beundia strike, great save, Watkins header & Mings from Dougie freekick, 3 weeks ago those chances were going in, in my eyes that's a stone wal penalty also his arm was away & horizontal from his body in an unnatural position. Glad to see Carlos back, that crossfield ball late on in the game was outrageous. But what today does shine a light on is our forward players, get Watkins on a new Contract & also go out & get another top striker, we also need 2 new wide/wingers & I'm sure we will address that in the summer. Been a great effort to even get this close to Europe considering where we were, so onwards & upwards, bring on next season & bring on the summer transfer window.

Nice spin on it. You make a lot of good points and we'll definitely be looking to improve over the summer. Bailey and Traoré have their moments, both far too infrequent and outside of them they're quite poor. That's one guaranteed upgrade.

We'll add depth that means these tired displays should be less of an issue next season. 

8th still a huge achievement regardless. 9th not bad either.

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

This is why it's easier for Brighton to make Europe.

Teams will raise their game against us because of our name, it makes it harder.

Wolves not turning up against Brighton would never ever happen to us.

Not having this sorry, Brighton are making Europe because of how they’re performing. Nothing else. We look similar to them in how we play from the back but the way they press in the middle and up top is night and day compared to us. And that’s with them having added fixtures. We’ve looked off it for 3 games now and it’s on us only

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Didn't see the game as I was working but that's disgusting 

It is, it worse than I first thought his arm goes out towards the ball, how VAR looking at that cannot see its a handball & a penalty beggars belief 🤦‍♂️ really thought if we'd have got an equaliser we'd of gone on & won that game. 😡 fecking officials 

Â