The Not Villa Summer Transfer Window 2023

His Name Is Death

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think Szoboszlai will be excellent tbf, but yes, it is noticeable that they've spent the thick end of £150m for the midfield of the side that finished one place below them last season. 

Not to say they're bad players because they aren't, but I'm not sure they're transformative?

It's the same for Arsenal. They spent almost £200m on their midfield and I'm not sure Rice + Haavertz is much better than Partey + Xhaka.

Seems to be a theme among the big clubs, spending exorbitant amounts on good but not great players. Meanwhile teams like us, Newcastle and Brighton are slowly improving while spending a fraction. I hope this trend continues as it's possibly the only way we can hope to compete.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's the same for Arsenal. They spent almost £200m on their midfield and I'm not sure Rice + Haavertz is much better than Partey + Xhaka.

Seems to be a theme among the big clubs, spending exorbitant amounts on good but not great players. Meanwhile teams like us, Newcastle and Brighton are slowly improving while spending a fraction. I hope this trend continues as it's possibly the only way we can hope to compete.

If we get even slightly better, we'll rapidly hit the same issue too. The basic problem is that fans want new players, and players want to move on for various reasons, but there's only so many truly elite players around, and lots of extremely good ones, so teams end up shuffling the pack without making great steps forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

If we get even slightly better, we'll rapidly hit the same issue too. The basic problem is that fans want new players, and players want to move on for various reasons, but there's only so many truly elite players around, and lots of extremely good ones, so teams end up shuffling the pack without making great steps forward. 

It's funny when you think about it.  Vast amounts of money spent just to finish behind City in a slightly different order. 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

Southampton are loving this situation right now, if Caicedo goes to Chelsea they know Liverpool are willing to spend a lot of money on that position. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lavia’s price has increased now

And then we might be able to command an inflated fee for Bogarde following Southampton’s interest earlier this month 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Give it half hour anthe breaking news comes up on SSN

Presenter: Breaking news, and is there a twist in the Moses Caciedo transfer. Our transfer 'expert' (man who furiously crawls through twitter) Kaveh has this 'exclusive'.

Kaveh: Yes, this is coming from our sources (I've just seen this on twitter). And it's our understanding, (it's blue tick Fabrizio so must be true) that the Moses Caciedo move to Liverpool is in serious doubts. Our sources (twitter) are telling us (hang on let me read what Fab has tweeted) that it's their understanding that the player himself has informed Liverpool that it is his sole intention to join Chelsea ONLY. From what we can gather (again, reading Fab's tweet) he agreed terms with Chelsea back in May and it's his intention to honour that agreement. (Looks all smug as if it's my exclusive info). We believe that (hang on, let me check that tweet) Chelsea are preparing an improved bid to get the deal over the line as quickly as possible.

Lmaoo

Youssef Chermiti signs for Everton on 4 year contract from Sporting

JWP having medical at spammers

Josh Maja joins WBA from Bordeaux on a free. Did quite well at sunderland in his early years and at bordeaux in second tier in france but struggled a bit elsewhere in england

Need to lock down our assets to contracts with no release clause or big ass ones, as I think after this summer there will be a reluctance from buying clubs to do business with Brighton due to their incredibly bloated valuations and they'l eye up targets elsewhere.

On the plus side, it don't arf mean that the asking price across the board will rise, so on that basis our midfield is pushing a total valuation of £500m+

Edited by stewiek2

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Fulham in advanced discussion with Adama Traore who will join them on a free

not saying we should, but i would almost be morbidly interested to see if Emery could get an end product out of Troare the road runner.