Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 6 of 10

TheAuthority

6 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

This is going to be a very difficult game. They are very strong at home, they have won 11 of 15 losing once. That single loss being the very first game of the season against Brighton where they were adapting to Ten Hag's methods. I'd happily take a draw right now, if we get anything more the sky is the limit for us for the rest of the season.

Yikes, I didn't know they'd lost only once at home all season! :s So it's an even bigger challenge than I thought. Hope our two days' rest more than them will make a significant difference.

They seem to be a bit down, despite winning at Wembley, and have a lot of injuries, and players carrying a knock. There is apparently  fan protest happening Sunday too. And they've had a lot of games, so may be off it a bit

As a Villa fan - this usually gives me false hope and we get tonked 4-0.
But Unai seems to come into his own when we don't have to take the game to the opposition - at least with the current crop of players. 

I still feel amazed that we've won 2-0 away to both Tottenham and Chelsea in the same season! I know they've been poor by their standards and have been going through a bad time but still. Though the 'big six' is looking shaky, for now Tottenham and Chelsea are still members of it. Those two great away results can give us a bit of extra hope and confidence going into this Sunday's game at Old Trafford.

I think we'll raise our game for this. Probably hoping too much that we'll see a Newcastle performance, but I'm sure we'll play much better than against Brentford and Fulham.

Them off extra time and pens and another game tomorrow (albeit Spurs) should be pretty knackered - we need to come at them hard and fast - another goal in the first 15 mins would be good. Ideally 1 or 2 back off the sick bed to give us better options off the bench as well.

Under Emery on the road we’ve P9 W6 D2 L1

Brighton 1-2 Villa

Spurs 0-2 Villa

Southampton 0-1 Villa

Mancheater Citeh 3-1 Villa

Everton 0-2 Villa

West Ham 1-1 Villa

Chelsea 0-2 Villa

Leicester 1-2 Villa

Brentford 1-1 Villa

the bloke is a genius. He genuinely has given all of us more than just hope going into any fixture. The turnaround is insame. I feel more confident going into the trickier looking games than the easier looking ones because you just know how meticulous he is and how much it means to him to get it right. Really wouldnt surprise me if its another 0-2 masterclass on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tinker said:

It's a free hit tbh, Manure need this win, especially if they dont win against Spurs. Young has his work cut out with Rashford and Shaw and I'm sure their midfield will be fortified with the likes of McTominay hacking lumps out of us unpunished from the first minute. We need to work the ref once the first heavy tackle goes in.

Wish we had some fresh  legs in the middle , Kamara can't come back soon enough.

Shaw will be playing CB more than likely, Dalot has been playing LB and he’s right footed.

• Thanks 1

Low scoring I think. Villa will to look control but maintain shape. United will sit back and try to counter and use long diagonals to get in behind. 

Would comment more specifically on tactics but hard to predict who will play for United.

• Like 1

Hate playing these lot, especially at their place. Then again, we are digging deep and getting results, when Hause scared the winner up there we were in much poorer shape, and Emery obviously beat them early on in his reign at VP. i think we have a reasonable chance of getting a win here, and if not then at least a draw.

I do think they have some players who can damage us and as usual we need to prepare for Fernandes and ref antics, which, with the OT crowd, can sway the ref to rig the game in their favour. If we go there and play to our strengths as we have often done under UE then we can execute a good game plan and make it impossible for a dodgy ref decision to decide the game.

Come on Villa!

I feel like we're running out of steam tbh.  The small squad means we don't really have different tools to help the team out when we need it.  The performances in the last two games have seemed a bit more laboured, obviously no criticism but just my opinion.  Will need a Newcastle type performance to take the points in this one but can't see us hitting that level looking at the last two.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adman said:

I feel like we're running out of steam tbh.  The small squad means we don't really have different tools to help the team out when we need it.  The performances in the last two games have seemed a bit more laboured, obviously no criticism but just my opinion.  Will need a Newcastle type performance to take the points in this one but can't see us hitting that level looking at the last two.  

Yeah starting to feel this. If we can get a result out of utd then we should be able to cope with the 1 game a week until the end of season. Hopefully we can get cash + bailey back for maybe the spurs game. I feel like kamara and coutinho are done for the season.

20 minutes ago, Adman said:

I see where you’re coming from but I felt the same after the Leicester and Forest performances and then we pulled the Newcastle performance out of the bag so here’s hoping we can do it again.

• Like 2

Well just to make you all jealous, I will have landed in Lanzarote an hour before this kicks off.  But the chances of me leaving Mrs T to go and watch it somewhere are very slim. Although I only get in the way when she is unpacking 

• Haha 2

From a logical perspective, this points to a Villa win. We're brilliant at the back, we score every game, and they're shit at the back.

but it's United at OT so I'd snap your hand off for a point, as long as they beat Spurs today.

• Like 1

I think United's result tonight will provide some insight to how things might pan out on Sunday. 

I really hope some of our injured players are at least fit enough to make the bench. 

I'm always optimistic when it comes to my team, fingers crossed that optimism is rewarded on Sunday. 

Come on, me Babbys!

Edited by sheepyvillian

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Haha about what? Entitled pricks.

Would not take a draw if offered. 3 points minimum.

I would very much take a point now! In the vibe of 'this run can't last much longer' now.