Is 2022-23 the weirdest Villa campaign ever?

Marka Ragnos

Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Stuck in 11th since the Cretaceous Period. The Cup Pause. A year begun held being hostage by a former Liverpool star. An expensive signing's one (!) match for us before the Achilles injury. Now more stop starts. Great manager suddenly, which is odd, too. How did we get this one? Are we Villa?

Covid years were weird, but this one feels stranger because every time it seems like a little momentum builds, it's STOP! Something just seem off about this season. I don't know if I can put it into words. It reminds me of LSD. Or like one of those all-night-long dreams/nightmares/dreams that you wake up from and it's like a new era.

Is this the weirdest Villa campaign ever? 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Stuck in 11th since the Cretaceous Period. The Cup Pause. A year begun held being hostage by a former Liverpool star. An expensive signing's one (!) match for us before the Achilles injury. Now more stop starts. Great manager suddenly, which is odd, too. How did we get this one? Are we Villa?

Covid years were weird, but this one feels stranger because every time it seems like a little momentum builds, it's STOP! Something just seem off about this season. I don't know if I can put it into words. It reminds me of LSD. Or like one of those all-night-long dreams/nightmares/dreams that you wake up from and it's like a new era.

Is this the weirdest Villa campaign ever? 

Align-the-stars GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

Given our history in the last 100 years, the weirdest season was 81/82 season winning the European Cup 😂 This season, especially the last twenty years is just the normal chaos, isn’t it? 😉

Sorry, I agree with what you mean really.  Just seems a season when it’s normal would be weird to us…we are so use to upheavals, changes, issues on and off the pitch in recent decades.

• Like 1

The last season of Lambert, great start think even won at Anfield and new contracts were given to all

Then we went months without scoring and hired Sherwood who turned Benteke back into Lewandowski and somehow stayed up and got to Wembley

Then 3 games before the final we decided to try out a kamikaze high line and Southampton and Arsenal slaughtered us

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

It's not close to as weird as the promotion season. 

Okay start, absolute crap, hi cabbage!, sack Bruce, hi Deano!, good start, Jack injured, absolute crap, hi Jack!, Jack gets punched, ten game run, baggies on penalties, expect Leeds, hi Derby!, promotion.

I suppose it depends on how you define weird. The promotion season seemed incredible and even awe-inspiring to me,  but not exactly bizarre. The way we've been stuck in 11th (or 12th) for so long this season has given the whole campaign an otherworldly vibe to me, sort Black Mirrors/Twilight Zone/No Exit thing. The betweenness of everything is part of it maybe? 

11 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I'm not sure if "weird" is the right word, but 3 league wins and 17 points in an entire season (2015/16) is not something I would have contemplated in my worst nightmare!

It wasn't weird enough. More like inexorably depressing and frustrating. 

I hate how stop start seasons feel lately. I don't know if it's because I've been spoilt by the 46 game Championship seasons, but it feels like massive long waits between games all the time.

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I hate how stop start seasons feel lately. I don't know if it's because I've been spoilt by the 46 game Championship seasons, but it feels like massive long waits between games all the time.

Probably because of stop/starts during the covid period and then this season the stop for the World Cup.  Aside from that we don’t last long in the cups so we sit around a lot when the later stages of those competitions are on.  I’m guessing of the big/bigger clubs we probably play one of the lowest amount of competitive fixtures per season.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 09:07, nick76 said:

Given our history in the last 100 years, the weirdest season was 81/82 season winning the European Cup 😂 This season, especially the last twenty years is just the normal chaos, isn’t it? 😉

Sorry, I agree with what you mean really.  Just seems a season when it’s normal would be weird to us…we are so use to upheavals, changes, issues on and off the pitch in recent decades.

81/82 didn't really seem that weird back then. We had won the league the season before and I really thought that we might just win the European Cup in 82 (although that belief was shaken by Ron's departure). I was a glass half full fan back then though, although the glasses were soon emptied. I was a thirsty lad and there was a lot of celebrating to be done. :D

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, John said:

81/82 didn't really seem that weird back then. We had won the league the season before and I really thought that we might just win the European Cup in 82 (although that belief was shaken by Ron's departure). I was a glass half full fan back then though, although the glasses were soon emptied. I was a thirsty lad and there was a lot of celebrating to be done. :D

No real surprise for me in 81/82

we arguably should have won the league in 1977 and were a team very much on the up

the real surprise looking back is we did not kick on 

• Like 1

Agree with the promotion season, but another one that always sticks in my mind is when Tim Sherwood and Carles Gil nearly beat Leicester in our 5th league game of the season.

We were on 4 points from 4 games and a win would have put us comfortably in the top half of the table.

A brace from Gil has put us 2-1 up, finally he’s delivering on his potential! What a player! Scenes!

Goals from De Laet and some lad called Jamie Vardy (surely not going to sustain this form) and it’s a heartbreaking 3-2 turnaround.

Leicester go on to win the league, while we finish the season on 17 pts via 4 different managers, and Lescott accidentally Tweets a picture of his car.

In some ways that season was completely predictable, but plenty of bizarre plot twists.

• Like 1

Â