Is 2022-23 the weirdest Villa campaign ever?

Marka Ragnos

52 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Agree with the promotion season, but another one that always sticks in my mind is when Tim Sherwood and Carles Gil nearly beat Leicester in our 5th league game of the season.

We were on 4 points from 4 games and a win would have put us comfortably in the top half of the table.

A brace from Gil has put us 2-1 up, finally he’s delivering on his potential! What a player! Scenes!

Goals from De Laet and some lad called Jamie Vardy (surely not going to sustain this form) and it’s a heartbreaking 3-2 turnaround.

Leicester go on to win the league, while we finish the season on 17 pts via 4 different managers, and Lescott accidentally Tweets a picture of his car.

In some ways that season was completely predictable, but plenty of bizarre plot twists.

Isn't this the game when Jack scored?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Agree with the promotion season, but another one that always sticks in my mind is when Tim Sherwood and Carles Gil nearly beat Leicester in our 5th league game of the season.

We were on 4 points from 4 games and a win would have put us comfortably in the top half of the table.

A brace from Gil has put us 2-1 up, finally he’s delivering on his potential! What a player! Scenes!

Goals from De Laet and some lad called Jamie Vardy (surely not going to sustain this form) and it’s a heartbreaking 3-2 turnaround.

Leicester go on to win the league, while we finish the season on 17 pts via 4 different managers, and Lescott accidentally Tweets a picture of his car.

In some ways that season was completely predictable, but plenty of bizarre plot twists.

Did Grealhiss not score that day?

I totally understand people calling it weird but I'd vote for it being one of the best. After the past 15 years supporting Villa and with the shadow of Smith and Grealish leaving still lingering on it has been astonishing to see the turnaround between Gerrard and Emery. Instead of watching yet another arduous and agonising decline our brilliant owners have quickly steered us back on course. Our potential at the moment is endless and that is such a relief after coming so close under O'Neill and Lerner and then our disappointing relegation.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Was even worse - we were actually 2-0 up. And the Leicester winner was 5'4 Nathan Dyer beating 6'4 Brad Guzan to a header IIRC. 🤢

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

On 26/03/2023 at 03:52, Follyfoot said:

No real surprise for me in 81/82 - we arguably should have won the league in 1977 and were a team very much on the up
the real surprise looking back is we did not kick on 

You've got Old man Ellis's ego to thank for that. Dismantled the team and appointed the Shrewsbury Town manager - Graham Turner.

Looking back it's amazing there's still a club after that debacle in the mid 80's (only thanks to SGT)

22 hours ago, Mantis said:

Was even worse - we were actually 2-0 up. And the Leicester winner was 5'4 Nathan Dyer beating 6'4 Brad Guzan to a header IIRC. 🤢

I'll never forget that game, my now wife, then girlfriend was moving to Portlaoise, we watched it in some hotel/bar having a bite. I was waiting on Villa +1 goal for a nice accum, when we went 2-0 up my bet was pretty much good but I could cash out for about €5 less than the full amount (they still needed 3 goals in about 10mins for me to lose), I very rarely cash out a bet but I said to her we are going to lose this game and took the money and ran. Genuinely believe if we won that game we'd have stayed up and they wouldnt have won the league.  

• Like 1

I'll never forget that game either.

Took the season ticket of a Leicester City supporting friend at work to go with another of the same.  Informed some of the fans around me that I was Villa, no trouble blah blah, said I'd be happy with a draw and kept quiet all game.  We went 2-0 up and my mate said "bet you wouldn't take a draw now, eh"  "DAMN RIGHT I WOULDN'T!  ONLY 25 MINS LEFT, WOOO!  **** YOU FOXES!"

Cue complete collapse in the last 15 mins and much (friendly) abuse thrown in my direction... followed by entire season collapse which I'm reminded about on a fairly regular basis (although not so much this season...).

On 26/03/2023 at 08:40, KentVillan said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

Well, this is a little weird, no?

Members of the Arsenal and Aston Villa backroom teams have been charged by the Football Association with improper conduct for their behaviour after the Gunners' 4-2 victory in February.

Villa head of performance analysis Victor Manas and Arsenal technical analyst coach Miguel Molina have both been charged for two incidents.

The first came after Arsenal's third goal - and the second after full-time.

Both individuals have until Friday, 31 March to respond to the charges.

It is alleged that Manas' behaviour in the 94th minute was improper and/or violent. Molina, meanwhile, is said to have acted and/or spoken in an improper and/or abusive and/or insulting manner in the same minute.

Both individuals have also been charged with improper behaviour in the tunnel following the end of the Premier League match at Villa Park on Wednesday, 18 February.

Shoutout 2010/11:

• Gerard Houllier appointed after MON left us in the lurch
  • Milner / Ireland swap deal, great stuff
  • Instant transition from counter attack to absolute crap possession style football
  • Relegation threatened
  • Liverpool away Houllier love-in, ignored the fans
  • Spunked all our money on Darren Bent in January who then scored bags despite being a largely bad player
  • Won our final few games and finished 9th

RIP x

17 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Shoutout 2010/11:

• Instant transition from counter attack to absolute crap possession style football
  • Relegation threatened
  • Spunked all our money on Darren Bent in January who then scored bags despite being a largely bad player

RIP x

Bit harsh on Bent, he was limited but got 18 goals in 38 games before Lambert came in and bomb squaded him

17 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Shoutout 2010/11:

• Relegation threatened

RIP x

The fact you've ommited Houllier having further heart trouble and having to retire, proves the weirdness of this season.

Â