Match Thread: West Ham v Villa

limpid

The players are eerily similar to the set in stone team Gerrard rolled out every week for 2 years as we looked awful (I guess maybe JJ is at wing instead of midfield, Buendia in and Coutinho out, then Moreno for Digne). Not shocked we're having trouble getting a foothold. Kamara is missed.

• Haha 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bowen doing similar to him at times to be fair

I mean...  If you're the furthest forward player on the pitch, it's kind of hard to be back defending the counter attack...

I missed our goal and the conceding of the penalty, but:

It sometimes feels like half of our players are on one wavelength, and the rest on another.

Douglas has gone backwards far more than he normally does.

Alex Moreno is a chance creating machine!

Just now, bobzy said:

I mean, it's fair enough that the ref misses that and then they review it and produce the red.

That's literally what the system is in place for.

Depends on the positioning of the ref. Nice that VAR corrected the error thou.

Buendia a disaster waiting to happen in our own penalty area but the real question is why has he been instructed to man-mark Ings in the first place? It's an obvious mismatch all day long. Bizarre from the gaffer

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I am not watching the game today because for some annoying reason it isn’t on peacock but from the sky sports text commentary we are very much on the back foot. Anyone know if this is tactical or are we just being pushed back by West Ham ? If it’s the later that’s disappointing against a team in the bottom 3 who have been getting taken apart by teams recently 

Complete bollocks, we're playing patient slow build up play. West Ham are playing for corners. 

• Like 2

Just now, drewdat said:

The players are eerily similar to the set in stone team Gerrard rolled out every week for 2 years as we looked awful (I guess maybe JJ is at wing instead of midfield, Buendia in and Coutinho out, then Moreno for Digne). Not shocked we're having trouble getting a foothold. Kamara is missed.

He sure is missed, but honestly we're the better team this half. They're in the game because of a dodgy pen. Their set pieces and Bowen kinda scare me though.

Enh. This isn't bad so far. The penalty was shit and we're weak defending corners which they're exploiting, but we're OK going forward and the possession game has got their crowd silent and nervous a lot of the time.

Hopefully Benrahama gets shushed himself in the second half