Pilgrimages

Seat68

wouldn't describe it as a pilgrimage , but it fits under your "pointless"  category

I hiked about 3km and up some massive great hill in 90 degree heat in Samoa to see the grave of Robert Louis Stevenson ... 

still have no idea why  ...other than the fact it was there and I was in the neighbourhood 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

wouldn't describe it as a pilgrimage , but it fits under your "pointless"  category

I hiked about 3km and up some massive great hill in 90 degree heat in Samoa to see the grave of Robert Louis Stevenson ... 

still have no idea why  ...other than the fact it was there and I was in the neighbourhood 

When I was on holiday around the Italian Lakes I walked down the street to see where Mussolini and his mistress were shot. It was on the 70th anniversary so the area had Italian flags and flowers, which was slightly surprising with him being a fascist dictator and everything.

36 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

American Idiot: Why 'Billy Madison' Is Still Adam Sandler's Best Movie –  Rolling Stone

Went on a weekend. Obviously couldn't go inside, but wandered round the grounds and took some photos. Very nostalgic. 

H.R. Giger Museum and bar in Gruyères last year.  Gruyères itself being a) a whole (admittedly pretty) load of not very much on top of a hill and b) a bit of a slog to get to.

Worth it though, the museum was ace.

7 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

H.R. Giger Museum and bar in Gruyères last year.  Gruyères itself being a) a whole (admittedly pretty) load of not very much on top of a hill and b) a bit of a slog to get to.

Worth it though, the museum was ace.

Cheesy!

But in all seriousness, that place might just have made it onto a list

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have been back to every house I've lived in.  I had the chance to look around the house where I was born.  I didn't.  They can't be bothered to put up a blue plaque.

The block of flats I lived in from age three to eighteen has been demolished.  :(

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Most of my visits to China are to practise here at Wudangshan, home of Daoist Internal Arts....

20161009_102344.thumb.jpg.ff610b57a93be388dc0722428450e6b1.jpg

That’s a hell of a commute, they do kung fu here in Stafford. Be much quicker. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

When I was in Bristol a few years ago I paid a visit to a little street called 'There and Back Again Lane' which is the name of the last compilation album released by Sarah Records, the Bristol-based label. Quite twee, @bickster and @blandy would probably not approve.

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

When I was in Bristol a few years ago I paid a visit to a little street called 'There and Back Again Lane' which is the name of the last compilation album released by Sarah Records, the Bristol-based label. Quite twee, @bickster and @blandy would probably not approve.

It's no wonder they put a picture of the Clifton Suspension Bridge on the cover, it's a back entry with one house up it. Daughter used to live two streets away and the name always amused me, I didn't know it's relevance until you posted though. I looked up the album and it's full of gut wrenchingly twee artists 

1 hour ago, Risso said:

There are so many Sarah records places. I could do a weekend visiting them and my wife tutting. “It’s temple cloud!!! Do you not appreciate it, just take the bloody picture”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Nevermind...I'll stay out of here then...

Sorry. Just a joke, not meant as a personal dig, more highlighting my ignorance rather than mocking something you love. 

Â