• Ramsey (Coutinho 62)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 67)
    • Bailey (Buendía 67)
    • Digne (Moreno 78)
    • Durán (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/02/23 at 23:59

33 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

It’s a reaction to last week. Arsenal went crazy with VAR last week and they were always going to get a dodgy decision this week. 

Exactly.  Just imagine what would have happened had the goal been disallowed.  Arteta would have spent another week sounding off about the PL needing to give Arsenal 2 more points and how they had cost them the title.  Much easier to just let this one go.

just back from VP. thought we played quite decently against the one of the best teams in the PL. we got unlucky- Bailey's shot hit the bar and out, Jorginho's hit the bar and the back of Martinez and in. Durán looks good, Watkins was pretty good as well today. Coutinho scoring is going to give him a shot of confidence in the next weeks i hope. 

28 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Not having that.

We gifted Leicester 4 goals - sure. But their first 2 were well taken, the 3rd one just desperately unlucky and the 4th is an all-or-nothing goal

The first one where Mings headed it down into our own box for their forward to strike? Are you daft?

Just now, jim said:

I’d be amazed if we see wholesale changes in the summer. 

Me too

I'm hoping the kind of quality we look to bring in means we can't afford those kind of changes

We need continuity with then a few more kamaras dropped in

We won't be signing 7 or 8 new players for £20m each, thats where we already are, 2 or 3 players for record breaking numbers is what's needed now

• Like 3

We are so defensively fragile it's frightening. As much as we play better overall, this element of our play has arguably gone downhill lately under Emery.

11 goals conceded in the last 3 games is inexcusable, I don't care who they were against.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd argue our ability to keep the ball isn't good enough

Arsenal and City was wave after wave, need to play better football and keep the ball

The only villa player who held the ball for longer than 20 seconds today was martinez

And next 3 games I expect to start to see just that

Yeah that is true as well we struggle to keep the ball but there is no question the defence isnt good enough sakas goal no defenders anywhere near him and jorginhos goal **** sake no body blocking that.

Against leicester it was shocking too. We need a good rb lb  to rpelqce digne too

• Like 1

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

just back from VP. thought we played quite decently against the one of the best teams in the PL. we got unlucky- Bailey's shot hit the bar and out, Jorginho's hit the bar and the back of Martinez and in. Durán looks good, Watkins was pretty good as well today. Coutinho scoring is going to give him a shot of confidence in the next weeks i hope. 

My only negative is that we're short a midfielder.  We need someone else who can get the ball, keep the ball and buy us some time when we are trying to relieve pressure.  I am sure that player will come in the summer.  But like you say - it could easily have gone the other way (Ramsdale made a couple of important saves).  If we'd won 3-2 it would have been hard to argue against, had we lost 2-3 it would be hard to argue against, had it finished 2-2 it would have been hard to argue against.

Just now, allani said:

My only negative is that we're short a midfielder.  We need someone else who can get the ball, keep the ball and buy us some time when we are trying to relieve pressure.  I am sure that player will come in the summer.  But like you say - it could easily have gone the other way (Ramsdale made a couple of important saves).  If we'd won 3-2 it would have been hard to argue against, had we lost 2-3 it would be hard to argue against, had it finished 2-2 it would have been hard to argue against.

We got Carlos to come back in, should make a big difference.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Ofcourse it wasn't, it was Arsenal. But did they even look at it?

If that third goal was not offside then I am sorry but it seems that the offside rule keeps changing and is different every game....

I just dont understand the offside rule anymore, lines are drawn to find the armpit hair that has strayed offside, yet when the arsenal player played the ball forward there were 2 arsenal players clearly miles offside...

It's this inconsistency and bending/changing the rules of the game that is gradually turning me off football to be honest.

• Like 3

Just now, delboy54 said:

If that third goal was not offside then I am sorry but it seems that the offside rule keeps changing and is different every game....

I just dont understand the offside rule anymore, lines are drawn to find the armpit hair that has strayed offside, yet when the arsenal player played the ball forward there were 2 arsenal players clearly miles offside...

It's this inconsistency and bending/changing the rules of the game that is gradually turning me off football to be honest.

The league/refs owed them 2 points, there you go Arteta.

• Haha 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

The league/refs owed them 2 points, there you go Arteta.

I've never been too fussed about arteta til now but his sarcastic mimicking of the ref's rolling ball gesture got on my norks more than it should 

• Like 2

Am slightly surprised the ref is down as "average" - thought he was having a shocker.  Gave absolutely everything to Arsenal.  One free kick against Moreno where the ball was passed behind Saka, Moreno is running onto it so Saka sticks his backside in his way, goes down and is given the foul.  Saka was nowhere near the ball, was making no attempt to get to the ball (it was too far behind him) but played the ref and won a free-kick in a dangerous position.  2 minutes later similar thing happens with Luiz and ref waves play on.  To be fair he had a hard job today with all the noise that Arteta had made about referees in the lead up to the match.  If he gives a bad decision against Arsenal he knows he's getting it big time from the media.

• Like 1

Â