Artificial Intelligence

maqroll

• 2 weeks later...

People worry about AI taking over but might be great to have an AI government. Completely incorruptible, not going to want a few hundred grand to clean the moat, purpose built so can't swan off doing after dinner chats and 'consultancy' when they should be running the country for a few hundred grand, not going to be bribed of have family threatened by gangsters, or caught with pants down in some brothel, or make racist statements. Not going to treat the poor with contempt. Just going to make the best choices and logical decisions to benefit everyone. I wonder if there's a sci fi novel where an AI took over but it's actually a utopia.

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Completely incorruptible

Bold claim about these indescribably complex closed-source solutions architected with the backing of Microsoft, Google, etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

People worry about AI taking over but might be great to have an AI government. Completely incorruptible, not going to want a few hundred grand to clean the moat, purpose built so can't swan off doing after dinner chats and 'consultancy' when they should be running the country for a few hundred grand, not going to be bribed of have family threatened by gangsters, or caught with pants down in some brothel, or make racist statements. Not going to treat the poor with contempt. Just going to make the best choices and logical decisions to benefit everyone. I wonder if there's a sci fi novel where an AI took over but it's actually a utopia.

People who have built their empires on sitting on knowledge I think need to worry, if you've got a practical skill you'll be fine, that is until they've built the machine that can print what you do.

Importantly they'll be able to make the best choices using the world of information, not based on some individual or cohort experience.

For so many years AI seemed to be the next big thing, now it's really getting somewhere. I think AI could be as important to us as the discovery of fire. I'm loving it - do I understand it, nope but I know the difference between a perceptron and Adaline. One day hopefully it'll be able to tell us how it works!

10 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I wonder if there's a sci fi novel where an AI took over but it's actually a utopia.

Would be a very boring book. It's pretty much a given that a novel has to have conflict of some sort. I guess you could have one where the AI overlord is the 'good guy' having to defend itself against evil humans. 

Iain M Banks Culture series novels essentially present a utopian society that has hyper intelligent AI machines running all aspects of the societal infrastructure.

A recurring theme is how a utopian society interacts with other societies and situations, and there's a lot of stuff about espionage and conflict. Including one book that may or may not be a story seen from the perspective of society that is being influenced by contact with the Culture without realising it. And another book that is focused on the reaction of the society when it encounters something it simply doesn't understand featuring lots of sequences from the AIs perspective as they try to work out how to react to something that simply do not know.

They're very good.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Iain M Banks Culture series novels essentially present a utopian society that has hyper intelligent AI machines running all aspects of the societal infrastructure.

A recurring theme is how a utopian society interacts with other societies and situations, and there's a lot of stuff about espionage and conflict. Including one book that may or may not be a story seen from the perspective of society that is being influenced by contact with the Culture without realising it. And another book that is focused on the reaction of the society when it encounters something it simply doesn't understand featuring lots of sequences from the AIs perspective as they try to work out how to react to something that simply do not know.

They're very good.

I'd forgotten about those, read them years ago. Can't remember whether I finished the series. 

11 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I wonder if there's a sci fi novel where an AI took over but it's actually a utopia.

Reminds me of The Matrix when the AI explains humans rejected their utopia they created and wanted conflict instead. 

Demolition Man had a similar idea. The utopian world was so boring that people broke ‘free’ to live in the messy sewers. 

Edited by LondonLax

The biggest threat to society is loss of human jobs. The car company I work for are already working on a AI substitute diagnosing faults on cars. You can park up, contact the computer and it will automatically reprogram/ repair any software faults on the car. Being that electric cars now have fewer mechanical parts and basically run by various control units, you will probably never have to visit a garage At the moment it takes human interaction to find the fault, me!)

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You can park up, contact the computer and it will automatically reprogram/ repair any software faults on the car.

There’s no such thing as software faults. Software cannot go wrong or break. It can of course be badly written or compiled, or contain errors or what are euphemistically called “undocumented design features”. But software can’t be “repaired”.  Also, most software in cars is firmware, embedded on individual ASICS etc isn’t it? So the air con system or the entertainment system or the parking sensors or whatever each have their own embedded software, so if the radio stops working due to a software error, it’s highly likely that the radio will need replacing…

Even with the most recent models of electric cars, even with more integrated systems, there’s still going to be plenty of work for engineers, technicians and mechanics, but if AI helps them diagnose faults or anomalous behaviour more effectively then that’s a win all round.

Also, while I’m on the subject, a lot of the headlines and stuff are just a current fad for a “new” thing. A new angle on an age old fear of something new coming along and taking all our jobs. It won’t. It’ll change the nature and type of work that we do, the same as the motor car did and the computer and the mobile phone and the washing machine and…

2 hours ago, blandy said:

There’s no such thing as software faults. Software cannot go wrong or break. It can of course be badly written or compiled, or contain errors or what are euphemistically called “undocumented design features”

In my early years as a programmer, our mortgage lender screwed up our payments schedule. I went in to the branch (the days when you could do such a thing), and the girl behind the counter basically did that Fast Show [*] routine - "Computer says no". After I had pointed out the obvious mistakes on my printed statement, she got a bit flustered, and backtracked to "Oh, must be a computer error". At which point I gave her the spiel as per your post above - it's a human error. Now fix it. 

As we used to say: "I hate this damn computer. I wish to God they'd sell it. It never does what I want it to, but only what I tell it". 

[*] EDIT: I know, I know, Little Britain. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In my early years as a programmer

Thanks. I was dreading a programmer or code monkey or software engineer taking issue 😄 so it’s nice to be backed up, instead.

Â