Artificial Intelligence

maqroll

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In my early years as a programmer, our mortgage lender screwed up our payments schedule. I went in to the branch (the days when you could do such a thing), and the girl behind the counter basically did that Fast Show routine - "Computer says no". After I had pointed out the obvious mistakes on my printed statement, she got a bit flustered, and backtracked to "Oh, must be a computer error". At which point I gave her the spiel as per your post above - it's a human error. Now fix it. 

As we used to say: "I hate this damn computer. I wish to God they'd sell it. It never does what I want it to, but only what I tell it". 

Little Britain!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

There’s no such thing as software faults. Software cannot go wrong or break. It can of course be badly written or compiled, or contain errors or what are euphemistically called “undocumented design features”. But software can’t be “repaired”.  Also, most software in cars is firmware, embedded on individual ASICS etc isn’t it? So the air con system or the entertainment system or the parking sensors or whatever each have their own embedded software, so if the radio stops working due to a software error, it’s highly likely that the radio will need replacing…

Nope. software can be repaired, I used to recommend that any budding software developer spend time maintaining and patching code - hoping that they'd learn from this. Even embedded systems can have firmware (embedded software) updated. In my many roles in IT, I loved coding the best, now though AI can do a respectable job at generating useable working code.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Thanks. I was dreading a programmer or code monkey or software engineer taking issue 😄 so it’s nice to be backed up, instead.

I am that code monkey, you're welcome 😛

1 minute ago, bielesibub said:

Nope. software can be repaired, I used to recommend that any budding software developer spend time maintaining and patching code - hoping that they'd learn from this. Even embedded systems can have firmware (embedded software) updated. In my many roles in IT, I loved coding the best, now though AI can do a respectable job at generating useable working code.

Not repaired, but corrected. It didn’t break, it was wrong from the start and the errors not picked up during v&v.

The rest, yep agreed.

I had a conversation with Bing AI yesterday, and it swore blind that we were playing Liverpool this weekend. When I told it we were playing Brighton, it told me I was wrong. Even gave me (incorrect) dates.

Is AI programmed to believe it is infallible, or has it come to this conclusion by itself?

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I had a conversation with Bing AI yesterday, and it swore blind that we were playing Liverpool this weekend. When I told it we were playing Brighton, it told me I was wrong. Even gave me (incorrect) dates.

Is AI programmed to believe it is infallible, or has it come to this conclusion by itself?

I've come to the conclusion that Chatgpt and Bard just chat shit. It might sound convincing, but under a bit of scrutiny it quickly seems to fall apart. 

Just now, Rolta said:

I've come to the conclusion that Chatgpt and Bard just chat shit. It might sound convincing, but under a bit of scrutiny it quickly seems to fall apart. 

Very much like some humans I know, then. 

• Haha 3

Anyone tried the new Spotify AI DJ yet?

Currently got it on, not convinced they’ve done much but tweak their algo and stick a silly voice on every time you press forward but it is picking a lot of music I like and as Marc Riley is no longer on at this time and will be replaced by the two inferior Toms… this maybe a solution

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Currently got it on, not convinced they’ve done much but tweak their algo and stick a silly voice on every time you press forward but it is picking a lot of music I like and as Marc Riley is no longer on at this time and will be replaced by the two inferior Toms… this maybe a solution

Cue meltdown when it plays a Beatles tune!

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

I was just wondering lately whether Spotify have been using AI for ages for compiling their playlists. I can't believe they employ humans to do it, but the choices do tend to be very good in my experience. 

Powerful artificial-intelligence ban possible, government adviser warns

More pissing of pants that something could become more intelligent than us.

Made me think of what kind of hysteria we could expect when we eventually find/spot some galactic civilisation billions of years more advanced than us? Will we scramble to dust off our AI in the hope it could make us look a little less stupid?

My opinion is the benefits of AI far outweigh the risks, cures for cancers, neurological diseases, methods for carbon capture, improvements in agriculture, medicines, energy, and most of all picking our music play lists.

Hamilton described a simulated test in which a drone powered by artificial intelligence was advised to destroy enemy’s air defense systems, and attacked anyone who interfered with that order.

“The system started realising that while they did identify the threat, at times the human operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective,” he said, according to a blogpost.

“We trained the system – ‘Hey don’t kill the operator – that’s bad. You’re gonna lose points if you do that’. So what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the target.”

No real person was actually harmed outside of the simulation.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/01/us-military-drone-ai-killed-operator-simulated-test

Now that’s thinking outside the box!

Edited by LondonLax

44 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

The way Riussia are fighting their "special operations"war.The AI is probably smarter than the generals.

Russia are world leaders in the field of Realistic Stupidity

• Like 1

The Frost is a 12-minute movie in which every shot is generated by an image-making AI. It’s one of the most impressive—and bizarre—examples yet of this strange new genre. You can watch the film below in an exclusive reveal from MIT Technology Review.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/06/01/1073858/surreal-ai-generative-video-changing-film/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been an advocate of AI, now I'm not so sure that it's being put to any good use at all.

BBC News - Sir Paul McCartney says artificial intelligence has enabled a 'final' Beatles song

Sir Paul McCartney says he has employed artificial intelligence to help create what he calls "the final Beatles record".

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the technology had been used to "extricate" John Lennon's voice from an old demo so he could complete the song.

For the love of all things decent why waste time on this crap? 🙄

24 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

I've been an advocate of AI, now I'm not so sure that it's being put to any good use at all.

BBC News - Sir Paul McCartney says artificial intelligence has enabled a 'final' Beatles song

For the love of all things decent why waste time on this crap? 🙄

@bickster? Is that you? 

Â