Artificial Intelligence

maqroll

On 04/03/2023 at 14:33, Lichfield Dean said:

It is incredibly impressive though. I just don't know how much deeper it can get, even with increased training sets. It'll never get beyond the fact that it has no inherent "understanding" as it currently is.

Is there a thing in this that it's a little bit like we are? 

If it knows it tells you, if it doesn't know, sometimes it doesn't tell you and sometimes it makes something up because it sort of knows but can't remember if it's true.

I wonder if the scientists see that as a breakthrough. 🤣

• Haha 1

I noticed that some of the big fashion houses have started using deep fake models for faked catwalk shows and advertising - that's weird.

I don't think we're far off not knowing whether the people we see on our screens are real or not.

Once they bind that to the AI Chat technology, I'm really looking forward to sitting down and spending the afternoon on a video call with 25 year old Bob Dylan - he can teach me how to play a couple of his songs if I'm in the mood for that, and hey if it goes well, I can pop my headset on and we can play them at 1978 Glastonbury together.

(Why do I get the feeling that there is someone at Meta currently figuring out the best way to monetise that).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Once they bind that to the AI Chat technology, I'm really looking forward to sitting down and spending the afternoon on a video call with 25 year old Bob Dylan - he can teach me how to play a couple of his songs if I'm in the mood for that, and hey if it goes well, I can pop my headset on and we can play them at 1978 Glastonbury together.

Can I be in your band? 

Or maybe I can sell my face and let the AI power it in it's job as a HR consultant in Singapore.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/08/27/1033879/people-hiring-faces-work-deepfake-ai-marketing-clones/

Like many students, Liri has had several part-time jobs. A 23-year-old in Israel, she does waitressing and bartending gigs in Tel Aviv, where she goes to university.

She also sells cars, works in retail, and conducts job interviews and onboarding sessions for new employees as a corporate HR rep. In Germany.

Liri can juggle so many jobs, in multiple countries, because she has hired out her face to Hour One.

Once these two technologies are properly joined up - the deep fake stuff and the AI stuff - unless they're in front of us, we're never going to know if we're talking with a person or not again.

This could be huge, Microsoft Germany have announced that gpt 4 (note, not chat gpt which is just one product built on top of gpt) launches next week.

It's multi modal, meaning that while previous iterations only learned from consuming text, this version is going to be able to consume data from audio, video, and pictures. If that's true, the potential dataset for training ai has just exploded.

I'm increasingly convinced we're at the very early part of the development curve of this, and the world is going to look a very different place in ten years time

GPT 4 is now an option in Chat GPT and the first videos have started coming out. 

It's more creative, accepts visual input, and has a far larger context for the conversation (25k words).

Based on what I've seen so far, the main thing stopping it taking my job is specific knowledge of our domain IP. Once this becomes less of a general purpose tool and have custom domain-specific versions, and is deployable to local infrastructure without using what it reads for its public training set to eliminate IP concerns, there are a lot of people that are absolutely ****.

It's the cusp of a technology revolution.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

GPT 4 is now an option in Chat GPT and the first videos have started coming out. 

It's more creative, accepts visual input, and has a far larger context for the conversation (25k words).

Based on what I've seen so far, the main thing stopping it taking my job is specific knowledge of our domain IP. Once this becomes less of a general purpose tool and have custom domain-specific versions, and is deployable to local infrastructure without using what it reads for its public training set to eliminate IP concerns, there are a lot of people that are absolutely ****.

An interesting thing about the economy is how it evolves over time to reward different skill sets.

Imagine if you’re a current multi millionaire Silicon Valley tech bro - you’re being rewarded for a specific skillset relating to software development and so on.

Now imagine same person was born 300 years ago - would they get very far? I’m not so sure.

I think AI will have a similar impact. Some people will benefit from it, and on balance things will probably be better for most people. But it won’t be the *same* people who benefit or struggle. It will tilt the balance in favour of a different set of personal attributes.

Exactly what those are, I don’t know.

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I feel like the point will be reached where a Universal Basic Income is going be a necessity. There just won't be "jobs" in the same sense we know them now. Even physical jobs can be automated by hooking these models up to machinery.

If people can get out of the mindset that you have to work, work, work all your life maybe we could enter an exciting new form of society.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I feel like the point will be reached where a Universal Basic Income is going be a necessity. There just won't be "jobs" in the same sense we know them now. Even physical jobs can be automated by hooking these models up to machinery.

If people can get out of the mindset that you have to work, work, work all your life maybe we could enter an exciting new form of society.

Make sure you're a good boy though or that universal income won't be yours for long

4 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Make sure you're a good boy though or that universal income won't be yours for long

Hehe, we'll all be living Logan's Run before to know it.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

16 hours ago, LondonLax said:

That’s pretty true of any income isn’t it? You can get fired from your job for Tweeting the wrong thing 😬

That's true to a degree but you can always find new employment or claim job seekers allowance until then. In this scenario neither of those options would exist. 

Why is it that AI generated 'photographs' of people are so incredibly realistic, except for the hands? They always seen to have six or seven fingers - sometimes the only thing that gives it away as AI. I have no idea how the coding works, but I'd have thought it would be pretty easy to program it to know that hands have four fingers and a thumb. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Why is it that AI generated 'photographs' of people are so incredibly realistic, except for the hands? They always seen to have six or seven fingers - sometimes the only thing that gives it away as AI. I have no idea how the coding works, but I'd have thought it would be pretty easy to program it to know that hands have four fingers and a thumb. 

They'll get it, given time.

Screenshot2023-02-15at14_59_29.png.e38f7e6ec60fa36fb407bb9b2770b7a8.png

• Haha 1

Â