Pre-match thread

wedge

Nice build up from BT to be fair.

Purslow relished the opportunity to get his digs in re adhering to FFP (or at least trying to).

Interesting to hear all of Keown, Cole and Crouch talking about how easily the Villa fans can turn on players - do we really have this reputation I wonder?

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Understand the changes, and largely agree, but I think Watkins is going to be quite isolated today.

I think Phil is vital in linking up the play whilst drifting between the spaces. Mings will be pinging balls for Ollie to chase no doubt. 

• Like 1

Saka v Cash is going to be an interesting match up! 

We need Buendia and Couthino to get in between Jorginho and the back four and cause some trouble. Saliba will dominate Watkins in the air so I don’t want to see too many crosses. 

Which Cole?

Don't think we really turned on Crouchy, even though (as he is the first to admit in his book-reccomended by the way), he never really did his best work for us. 

I think this is largely due to the treatment of Watkins, but before his recent renaissance he had been poor, and folks who only watch him on motd will see his work rate and wonder why we've been complaining.

Hopefully he can come good again consistently, and we can all put this behind us.

2 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

We need Buendia and Couthino to get in between Jorginho and the back four and cause some trouble. Saliba will dominate Watkins in the air so I don’t want to see too many crosses. 

Saliba who lost about 10 out of 10 duels? Admittedly against Toney but he's not imperious. Impressive player mind you

Edited by rodders0223

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I think Phil is vital in linking up the play whilst drifting between the spaces. Mings will be pinging balls for Ollie to chase no doubt. 

I agree. He's not going to have huge pace in transition, so he'll have to pick it up, turn and find runners. Trouble is I don't think we'll have that many runners. 

I'm fascinated as to how Emery is going to use Mcginn today. I can see him venturing further forward.

8 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Saka is Right wing, no? I don't watch much of Arsenal. I would have thought it was Saka v Moreno?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I trust Don Emery. But I feel this isn’t the game for Coutinho. He has no pace (which we’ll need as we will likely be counter attacking), and Arsenal press (so he won’t have time on the ball).

I hope I’m wrong, but think Coutinho will have a mare today.

He’s faster than Buendia.