Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Know it's not the most pressing area and would cost a lot of money but I would just love it (Keegan) if we would manage to sign the likes of Gabri Veiga & Arnau Martinez. Young guys who are still at smaller clubs but who have huge potential. We might not be in a position to make quite that expensive "gambles" yet but after they get their first moves they will likely be out of our price range forever.

Absolutely but competition will be fierce, Veiga in particular has been linked with “top clubs”…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mooley27 said:

I wonder could we see an attacking right back come in,seems too predictable for everything to go down the left every game,happened alot last year because young wouldn't have the energy to attack like moreno was and cash isn't at the level attacking wise that we need.

I think a moreno type at right back gives us more ways to attack

The balancing of attack and defence is the trickiest part of football.....Too many attacking players, does not equate to more attacking play, its a paradox, that seems only the top managers tend to grasp.

An indication can be ,how much we keep the ball. We have to respect the fact that the opposition, will have the ball a fair chunk of the time, too....so I think, 2 attacking full backs can leave you vulnerable, particularly on the counter. where its hard to recover ground, after a sortie.

Exactly @TRO, its the next step for us - we have developed a possession based holding game in our own third, but to kick on we need to learn to push up the field and maintain possession and control. This is what I expect Emery and co are recruiting for.

Man City do this exceptionally well, they pin team into their own third, which is actually more difficult to score from as you usually have 9-10 opposition in the same zone defending.

This is another incremental season building on Emery's work last season, I expect the have earmarked a serious tilt at the top 4 the season after this.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

At the expensive of the Conference ? Going to be a serious balancing act. If we are in the mix for top 4 come knock out games does he rest players ? 

Will be a nice dilemma to have I guess.

Some may have thought this but we may never need to play our best players in the conference league until maybe the knock out/ quarter final stages of the competition, players like duran and iroegbunam and archer can start and id be quite comfortable so really it shouldn’t affect our league ambitions. I wouldn’t expect our star performers to be playing any conference games until next year imo.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Exactly @TRO, its the next step for us - we have developed a possession based holding game in our own third, but to kick on we need to learn to push up the field and maintain possession and control. This is what I expect Emery and co are recruiting for.

Man City do this exceptionally well, they pin team into their own third, which is actually more difficult to score from as you usually have 9-10 opposition in the same zone defending.

This is another incremental season building on Emery's work last season, I expect the have earmarked a serious tilt at the top 4 the season after this.

Knowing Emery he will be going for it this season without a doubt, personally i just think it will take 2 or 3 more players and it’s something we can seriously achieve if the end of last season was anything to go by

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Some may have thought this but we may never need to play our best players in the conference league until maybe the knock out/ quarter final stages of the competition, players like duran and iroegbunam and archer can start and id be quite comfortable so really it shouldn’t affect our league ambitions. I wouldn’t expect our star performers to be playing any conference games until next year imo.

We thought that against Stevenage.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Love that second tweet, very funny, 10/10. 'I, a person who is literally making up random shit on the Internet to waste everybody's time, cannot be expected to read the minds of Leverkusen's directors, please stop hassling me'. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, allani said:

The trouble is that we've taken this approach before and been knocked out of Europe to teams that everyone expected us to beat.  The idea that our reserves are good enough to beat anyone outside the top 8 teams in the competition doesn't work.  Having made such a big deal of qualifying for Europe it would be ridiculous to throw it away by not treating our opponents with the respect that they deserve.  We've made that mistake before (as have clubs much bigger than us).  I'm not suggesting that we have to play our best team in every match - but we need to be very careful about assuming that our prospects will beat teams who have spent 2 or 3 years competing at the top of their domestic leagues and often have full international players.

Totally agree. But we should be in a position that the players we put out arent reserves . Just equally talented members of the squad. 

If we sign Diaby then these could be the teams we can put out  and i fully expect more signings as well. 

Watkins

JJ            McGinn        Diaby

Luiz                Kamara

Moreno   Torres   Mings    Cash

Martinez

Or 

Duran / Archer

Coutinho    Buendia     Bailey 

Dendoncker   Tielemans

Digne    Carlos  Konsa    Chambers

New Keeper 

We are starting to put together a strong s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

The thing is, I think by the start of the season we will have a complete second team of senior players. We wont be playing the likes of irogbunam in europe because players like dendonker, tielemans etc wont be starting premier league games. I might be wrong but i think the ones you mention and pretty much all of the youth will go back out on loan.

Edited by turvontour
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The thing is, I think by the start of the season we will have a complete second team of senior players. We wont be playing the likes of irogbunam in europe because players like dendonker, tielemans etc wont be starting premier league games. I might be wrong but i think the ones you mention and pretty much all of the youth will go back out on loan.

You may be right there, i think Dendocker leaves though and some will be loaned back out something tells me Iroegunam will not be allowed to go back out on loan.

Loads of posts removed. This thread is for Aston Villa transfer window talk, not Wolves, not whether someone is a rapist, not which cups we might win, not team selections and not for squabbling between posters.

Please stay on Topic.

• Like 1

For me, the question is which players we're going to be loaning out. Some good performances today from some of the youthies, but the question is whether they're ready or not for a couple of levels higher than Walsall yet or not. This could impact our transfer plans. I didn't expect to see Bogarde at RB, for example, and he was one of the standout players. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

For me, the question is which players we're going to be loaning out. Some good performances today from some of the youthies, but the question is whether they're ready or not for a couple of levels higher than Walsall yet or not. This could impact our transfer plans. I didn't expect to see Bogarde at RB, for example, and he was one of the standout players. 

Yep. At the end of the day they need to be exceptional to earn their spot. But we will have to accept some with exceptional potential to meet the homegrown / club trained quota.  The obvious ones are Tim Aaron and Jaden but Unai might decide that they go out on loan and players like OReilly and Patterson are added to the squad instead. Not going to even  try and second guess Unai. That said i thought Tim was the most ready of them based on the first half . And Bogarde and Oreilly the second. 

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Yep. At the end of the day they need to be exceptional to earn their spot. But we will have to accept some with exceptional potential to meet the homegrown / club trained quota.  The obvious ones are Tim Aaron and Jaden but Unai might decide that they go out on loan and players like OReilly and Patterson are added to the squad instead. Not going to even  try and second guess Unai. That said i thought Tim was the most ready of them based on the first half . And Bogarde and Oreilly the second. 

I think it'd be more likely to see the younger players go out on loan tbh. Tim, Aaron and Jaden have all had a year in the championship now - they've all proven that they can hack it at that level, at least. I think all three could do a squad job, though Aaron, as the youngest of the three and with the highest ceiling, might be best off having another year of first team footy. 

• Like 1

Not sure Philogene is quite at the level we've moved to - personally I'd sell him. I think Iroegbunam might be the same, although he might be handy to keep around as a homegrown player if he's happy to get limited minutes.

Sinisalo is off on loan, and KKH has already gone on what's probably a make or break one for him. Bogarde would need a good loan to show us something. We've got some good youngsters, but I don't see anyone bursting through in the way that Jacob Ramsey did/has.