Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

34 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Yesterday Felix and Diaby

Today a guy called Charles that can't say I've ever heard of and Brennan Johnston

Bit of a rollercoaster 

A year ago I think CDK would have been seen as a real coup. By all accounts he's had a pretty bad season, but the signing still excites me as I think his profile is exactly what we need for our 2nd striker.

My feel is that were in a bit of "no mans land" as regards to signing players

The quality of player we need to improve us, are by and large, champions league level players who want champions league clubs - which were not quite yet, so were gonna have to be very persuasive or drop lucky......... 

The players we could spend big on and sign, will they really improve us? probably not so why spend the money?

If we are too sign players that arent "the champions league" level players then id be looking to sign home runs, players that will hit the ground running and not take a time to settle in as its too big a risk.......... so thats why I can see them going for the likes of Harvey Barnes, Zaha etc.... if the top level players are looking unnatainable........ bit like the Tielemans deal, relatviely no risk - knows the league, local, good age etc.......... 

• Like 1

This is reminding me of the NFL draft. I think that 90% of the links we are hearing are valid, the problem for us is we have no idea how the Villa management team rank them. As players drop from our reach who is next up according to their scoring mechanism, and our needs vs best player available..

I have to say though, I trust our lot to get it right (more often than not), for first time in as far as I can remember..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

My feel is that were in a bit of "no mans land" as regards to signing players

The quality of player we need to improve us, are by and large, champions league level players who want champions league clubs - which were not quite yet, so were gonna have to be very persuasive or drop lucky......... 

The players we could spend big on and sign, will they really improve us? probably not so why spend the money?

Agreed. We need another forward because we need more goals, and I think we'll sign one, but for me, that would be the last major signing this window. (Non-major, we still need a backup GK.) Tielemans + Torres + forward + full season of Emery should be enough to move us up the table a bit further, convince everyone that we're for real, and put us in a position to attract even better players next summer. Let's not splash all the cash at once; let's play the long game.

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Give it 18 months before the bucket hat replaces Gardner as Director of Football

He's a bit of a bucket hat himself and that's me being very kind. :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Whilst we can't make definitive statements an undeniable fact is Monchi's history in the market. His CV is not one that screams splashing out club record fees on big name players.

In Monchis first window back at Sevilla after Roma he signed their 2 most expensive signings ever: €35m on Kounde (20) and €25m on Rony Lopes.

In fact, whilst fees aren't huge, of Sevillas Top 20 most expensive transfers ever, 12 of them are in Monchis 2nd spell (the last 4 Years).

I'd suggest that he will happily spend money when he is confident in a player (rightly or wrongly), and the level of spending Vs Sevilla historically is probably in part due to him pushing for it as part of his agreement to go back.

I don't think we'll be spending £50m plus on players, but we've convinced this guy to leave the club he loves and come here.. I think Monchi will have been attracted to the ability to get into that £30-40m bracket much more often.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Whilst we can't make definitive statements an undeniable fact is Monchi's history in the market. His CV is not one that screams splashing out club record fees on big name players.

Also looking at his time at Roma, he immediately broke their record for Patrik Shick at €42m. Nzonzi up there at #6 for €26m and Pastore at #9 at €24m.

He's not afraid of spending and breaking records. 

Hopefully his hit rate is good for us though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Is there a chance we sign 3 attacking players from this lot that we’ve been linked with? 

Johnson

Felix

Ferran

Diaby

CDK

No. We won't be signing 3 attackers from any list. But especially not this one. 

We will sign an attacking player and we were very close to Asensio. Very close.

Regarding Johnson, I am saying this without any inside knowledge on this so called target, but overpriced English players don't seem to be the plan of attack.

Leave that for the likes of Everton.*

*Or Man United 

• Like 1