Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 hours ago, PeterSw said:

Personally I think Archer is ahead of him in development and it could do wonders for Duran to go to a Championship side on loan and (hopefully) bang in 20 goals and come back for the 24/25 season to help us win the Champions League.

Love the optimism on the last part, i think id want to see him in maybe Serie A on loan for some reason , think he would quite suited, thank you for your summary also 🤝

4 hours ago, useless said:

I'm not sure I believe the stories linking us to Gnonto or Barnes, we don't really need an expensive winger that predominantly plays on the left cutting onto their right, the links to Williams, Johnson, and Diaby as wingers make much more sense to me.

Although I guess in theory Gnonto could come more as a young squad player with potential which would make a degree of sense, especially if we were to sell a few of our existing wingers, have also been linked to Summerville and Illng Jr, so maybe that's something we're looking at.

Call yourself useless but it should something else, as what you said makes perfect sense and thats how i also see it, but then that begs the question WHAT if Unai is changing his style of play and formation 🤔 we would play a more wide central midfield advanced position like Ramsey for example  which we seen last season and if the reports are true this would indicate that Pedro Gonçalves being the ideal and most logical player for that area is being targeted and gives us a tremendous boost, then we need a upgrade for that SS/RW For Bailey. 

Edited by RicRic

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

we need to spend 100m + net every year just to try and catch then keep pace with the big six.

Net spent is such a meaningless figure, you shouldn't be using it.

Kamara and Tielemans - net spent zero

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Net spent is such a meaningless figure, you shouldn't be using it.

Kamara and Tielemans - net spent zero

Well you say that but you can’t go around getting free agents for a whole squad. They also have very hefty signing on fees and wages. So much so that when these are deducted from what their sign on and wages were likely to be it covers an awful lot of what their transfer fee would have been. Agents aren’t stupid.

The fact is we need a handful of players to come in and when you see the fees/wages the competition are paying we need to be at least in the ball park. That’s what 100m net is, the ball park.

Even then we have to be clever with who we buy, when we sell players, what we pay them and the long term strategy.

some people think because we finished 7th we are just behind them….. do that a few years on the trot and I’ll agree.

25 minutes ago, paul514 said:

The fact is we need a handful of players to come in and when you see the fees/wages the competition are paying we need to be at least in the ball park. That’s what 100m net is, the ball park.

Even then we have to be clever with who we buy, when we sell players, what we pay them and the long term strategy.

some people think because we finished 7th we are just behind them….. do that a few years on the trot and I’ll agree.

The bookies who on the whole dont get it terribly wrong have us as the 9th most likely team next season to get Champs league.  We are 10 /1 Brighton 6/1 and Spurs 4/1. The others are odds on. 

Even though we finished 3rd in the league over 25 games under Unai. And he showed his brilliant management. 

Because no matter what we do in terms of signings , the others will be able to outspend us. 

I am not saying we cannot improve again and i like to be the underdog, but i agree with you that we need to be careful with who we sign. We cannot afford a 50 mill mistake , whereas the others can bar Brighton.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gaz90 said:

Smart move from Sporting - spending their Pedro Goncalves money in advance...

Is this the lad people were arguing about during playoffs?

Knew nothing about him, but he must be decent for them to be spending that on him!

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

I hope for more than you.

we need to spend 100m + net every year just to try and catch then keep pace with the big six.

Net spend means nothing. What we need are players that improve the squad and the starting eleven. In a perfect word we would bring in 2-3 players that would replace existing players in the starting eleven every season. The cost of that means nothing, if we can get them for free all the better, and it means we can pay more in wages.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is this the lad people were arguing about during playoffs?

Knew nothing about him, but he must be decent for them to be spending that on him!

He's a bit of a lump I think. A good lump though.

Wouldn't have minded him as a cheap option but that's too much IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

IMG_0878.thumb.jpeg.11c81f080f8b494878b59f73813ae3a3.jpeg

I know this is tongue in cheek but the initial point does stand. To stay in the top 6 is very very hard. Chelsea will revert to type and be up there. There will be the odd blip here and there but Brighton are going to be in for a shock and I think we might be too. KSA have so much money that they’re the only ones that will join the big boys, probably at the expense of Spurs who I think could be on a trajectory down to being a mid-table side. 

• Thanks 1

According to Tom Collomosse:

Leon Bailey is for sale this summer.

Villa desperately want a wide man  Harvey Barnes, was on the list but not top of it, the same with Brennan Johnson. Over the weekend Villa asked Leverkusen about Diaby and Emery remains a huge admirer of Nico Williams.

Villa also want a forward to be both partner and alternative to Ollie Watkins.

• Thanks 1