Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

For once, I hope you’re wrong TRO, I think we need a player of the calibre of the £50m ilk in order to compete at the upper end of the PL and Europe. 

I hope I am wrong too...I can't honestly say, why I feel this way, but I just do.

I am not even miffed by it.....I just feel, that will be their method.

I just Sense UE and Monchie thinks, they can get what they want ( Training Ground)from modest...ish signings, without paying inflated prices.

• Like 1

Still feels like it’s going to be a difficult window overall, even with Tielemans confirmed already. Torres still isn’t done so we can’t claim that one yet.
Tricky tricky tricky. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I hope I am wrong too...I can't honestly say, why I feel this way, but I just do.

I just Sense UE and Monchie thinks, they can get what they want ( Training Ground)from modest...ish signings, without paying inflated prices.

Well, as long as we get who UE wants, and we can compete it’s won’t be a problem, and we’ll all be very happy.
I just wouldn’t want us caught short and then either spending even bigger in January, or not at all and letting another season, good players and possibly the best manager we’ve had for 20 years slip. 

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Well, as long as we get who UE wants, and we can compete it’s won’t be a problem, and we’ll all be very happy.
I just wouldn’t want us caught short and then either spending even bigger in January, or not at all and letting another season, good players and possibly the best manager we’ve had for 20 years slip. 

I can't second guess UE's mind....but I suspect, he is contemplating, using Cameron Archer, more then he intially thought....maybe he sees Jhon Duran, developing more too.

Some of these youth players are developing all the time, and maybe, just maybe, he sees an opportunity to not spend unnecessarily.

I am not saying, this will be the case.....just saying, it could be.

I also have a sneaky feeling UE has not given up on Leon Bailey, as much as some of us have.

but its just my speculation, which means nowt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m so sceptical of anyone who comes from the bundesliga, I thought that’s what we were getting with Bailey to be honest 

I get the apprehension, but watch some of this lads clips.

He's genuinely frightening

* To be fair... I thought the same about Patson Daka from clips.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I can't second guess UE's mind....but I suspect, he is contemplating, using Cameron Archer, more then he intially thought....maybe he sees Jhon Duran, developing more too.

Some of these youth players are developing all the time, and maybe, just maybe, he sees an opportunity to not spend unnecessarily.

I am not saying, this will be the case.....just saying, it could be.

I also have a sneaky feeling UE has not given up on Leon Bailey, as much as some of us have.

but its just my speculation, which means nowt.

And maybe Coutinho too… he was (could he be again?) one of the best in the world

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get the apprehension, but watch some of this lads clips.

He's genuinely frightening

Oh yeah, Diaby is the real deal. I saw him in the CL last year against… I think it was athletico Madrid, and he looked unplayable in parts.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Diaby is who we should have spotted when we scouted Bailey

They didn't want to sell him at the time and Bailey produced more that year and beat players more often. We forget Bailey looked completely unplayable in his first 5 games with us. But 2 consecutive ham string injuries really robbed him of his confidence in his pace. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Oh yeah, Diaby is the real deal. I saw him in the CL last year against… I think it was athletico Madrid, and he looked unplayable in parts.

I hope you are right. I always try and watch the “vs” vids on YT which show you all touches in a game. Few on there for Diaby not exactly encouraging (could easily have been a Bailey performance). But very small sample size so if he does come hopefully those who have seen him play properly will be right. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I hope you are right. I always try and watch the “vs” vids on YT which show you all touches in a game. Few on there for Diaby not exactly encouraging (could easily have been a Bailey performance). But very small sample size so if he does come hopefully those who have seen him play properly will be right. 

I think I’ve only seen that game, so again small sample size for me, but he seemed very good and able to take on a man and stretch the game. 

Found the highlights of that game (he’s number 19 btw)

Clickety clickers

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really? My gut feel is the opposite, really feels like they want to back Emery this summer.  

Everything we have heard up into the summer from every direction is that we are going big and while we can get good deals like Tielemans and Torres, there is likely to be a player Emery wants that will cost a premium.  

That tweet I put up the other day of the PL clubs who have beaten our transfer record and many multiple times shows that we haven’t pushed the boat out yet.  

I don’t expect a raft of big buys but given everything I’d be surprised if there isn’t at least one that is higher than £40m…it sounds like we were prepared to do it for Nico Williams so there is appetite for it.  Just if the right player comes along imo.

Kind of agree with you and @TRO.  I think that sometimes clubs / fans can almost be wanting to break their transfer record simply so that they can "brag" about how much they are investing.  In that respect I don't think the owners will be actively looking to break our transfer record just for the gloating effect.  However, if the player we want / need is only available on a deal that exceeds our previous record and we'd negotiated as hard as we could then I don't think the owners would baulk at breaking the record.  Making sure that we are getting value for money (as much as that is possible) will be key.  We won't waste money when a better deal might be negotiable.  But at the same time we won't pull out of a deal for the sake of £250k.  IMO we won't break our transfer record just in order to break our transfer record - but I can see us signing someone that Emery sees as being a key player for several years and that in order to complete the deal we end up breaking our transfer record.

I wouldn't be surprised if we break our record this month - but at the same time I can see us signing two or three really exciting players and being surprised that we've got them in for as "little" as we have paid.  I think sometimes people can assume that a £50m player is significantly better than a £30m player.  So there will almost certainly be someone who, when we sign a Player X for £25m, will say - "ah well they must have been our third choice because we didn't get Player A for £50m or Player B for £45m".  It is entirely possible that the £25m player was always our top priority and Player A or B were only ever considered second or third choice.  However, we won't have Player X as our top priority over the other two JUST because they are a cheaper option.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Still feels like it’s going to be a difficult window overall, even with Tielemans confirmed already. Torres still isn’t done so we can’t claim that one yet.
Tricky tricky tricky. 

Think Emery only wants to bring in players who are really going to push us on, we could easily go for standard “mid table” signings but Emery wants better than that. Let’s hope we eventually hit gold with one of these targets, top class attacking players are a rarity as it is before you consider cost and willingness to join.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I’m not miffed about the idea of us not spending £50m per player per se, but I would be a little bit miffed about the club and people connected to the club putting out noise about wanting CL qualification when they are not prepared to spend the money that it would take to do so.

Edited by Woody1000
Spelling

Just now, Tomaszk said:

@sne is Jesper Karlsson worth looking at for us? Surely he could play that second forward role pretty well.

Such an exciting player.

Think he's a really interesting player but honestly not watched enough of him to say. He never starts for Sweden as our manager is too stuck in his ways.

I'd really like him as a squad player for Villa but probably not as a starter, yet anyway.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Think he's a really interesting player but honestly not watched enough of him to say. He never starts for Sweden as our manager is too stuck in his ways.

I'd really like him as a squad player for Villa but probably not as a starter, yet anyway.

No clue how his style would translate to the PL. I think it's worth the gamble. If you're going to raise prices so much, give people something to watch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Let’s play a game. 
You can sign 3 more players this window. Any 3 we’ve been linked with (regardless of how spurious that link is).

I’ll go first. 

Pino
Torres
Diaby

Diaby

Ibanez

Goncalves

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1