Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

That’s about £21m … to be fair I think that would be a good investment. Only 19 and with a very high potential ceiling, I think we should go for him personally.

Only time I’ve seen him play well was that game against us. I remember another match, where Gary Nevllie spent the whole game trying to sell him to Man City.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Only time I’ve seen him play well was that game against us. I remember another match, where Gary Nevllie spent the whole game trying to sell him to Man City.

Yeah I can’t claim to be an expert either, but what I have seen of him he seemed to have good attributes… if a little raw. But our coaches could bring out the best in him I think. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I’ve seen it on Twitter a lot recently, it’s almost as if some people are just desperate to see us break our transfer record. 
If Unai wants Johnson then of course he has my backing, 110%, but as has been mentioned before surely we haven’t brought somebody like Monchi to the club to spend £50m odd on someone like Brennan Johnson?

What about if Monchi has compared Johnson to other options across his network of contacts and still decided that he is the best option?  Does that suddenly make it a bad signing and him a bad appointment or does it suggest that if one of the best in the business thinks that Johnson is worth signing (and presumably it would be two of the best because I imagine that Monchi and Emery will be pretty tight on potential signings) then actually it probably will be an excellent signing validated by people who know what they are doing?  I would be surprised but Monchi and Emery know a lot more about football, what type of players they are after, etc than I do.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

That’s about £21m … to be fair I think that would be a good investment. Only 19 and with a very high potential ceiling, I think we should go for him personally.

Got bags of potential and the price isn’t unreasonable. Unless we try to use the instability at clubs like Barca to try and get Torres at a reduced price. 

9 hours ago, Indigo said:

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that there's enough to indicate he'd theoretically be worth £50 million or anything of the sort, just there's likely more to his numbers on paper or at least enough context to them (like Forest having comfortably the least possession in the league etc) to justify the likes of Brentford and Villa being at the very least curious about him. Just seeing a lot of FBRef screenshots floating around completely writing him off which is probably harsh on him.

It's a tough position because it's a place in the squad that needs filling to take Villa to the next level, so there's much more scrutiny on the likes of Johnson who probably would be looked at as good potential signings previously before Emery elevated us to such an extent. I can understand why they'd be interested as he is the right profile of player - has often played on the right of a kind of asymmetrical front two, is quick, decent quality in front of goal etc. His quality relative to the likely price would make it questionable to the point I'd be more than surprised if it happened, but the type of player he is ticks some boxes anyway.

I don't think any reasonable person has completely written him off and I don't think looking at his data via FBref is a bad thing either. The main message from people who aren't keen IMO seems to be 'not for that amount of money' rather than 'he's shit'. 

And you're right, standards have gone up a lot lately - which is why we need to sign players that will be upgrades on what we have. It doesn't make much sense to me to spend first-team money on a player with potential because I don't think we have the luxury of gambling like that. Furthermore, I don't think we can't afford to have too many 'development' slots in the squad, as these players will need time to make mistakes and have off days - you saw the reaction when Ramsey had a bad game, imagine that he'd cost 45/50m or so. 

57 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He's seemed a right nuisance to me whenever i've seen him in fairness.

Bare in mind, he was also playing in a bad team.

Definitely has alot of positive attributes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

i think Gnonto would be very good under Emery's guidance.

Very raw but talented player, Emery would polish him up im sure.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I thought Young absolutely schooled Gnonto in the game against us and I am sure that Gnonto said later in the season that the player he struggled against most was our Ashley.  I'm not convinced - but wouldn't be averse to signing Torres and Gnonto and allowing Gnonto to have a couple of seasons to develop as a "super sub".  I think we'd easily make our money back even if he doesn't kick on loads.  But if we are looking for a starting player then Torres and Barnes would be way ahead in terms of preference at the moment.

Gnonto spent a lot of time on the bench towards the end of last season at Leeds, he's only 19 and under the coaching at Villa he would only improve. Would still like a top drawer winger and attacker in.

3 minutes ago, allani said:

I thought Young absolutely schooled Gnonto in the game against us and I am sure that Gnonto said later in the season that the player he struggled against most was our Ashley.  I'm not convinced - but wouldn't be averse to signing Torres and Gnonto and allowing Gnonto to have a couple of seasons to develop as a "super sub".  I think we'd easily make our money back even if he doesn't kick on loads.  But if we are looking for a starting player then Torres and Barnes would be way ahead in terms of preference at the moment.

Why are Gnonto and Barnes even in the conversation? Lazy links from relegated clubs, easy to make up. Want to break the top 6 and looking at players not on top 6 radar other than maybe some more lazy links. Why did we bother with scouts and Monchi?