Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's bizarre people keep resorting to type like we've just come up from Championship and don't have world class manager, with some player names that keep cropping up

It’s because there’s a pattern of Emery being able to 'revive' players that are deemed as crap. I’m sure he will also go after players that are deemed more exciting, but a recently turned 23 year old (Sancho) is not a bad shout if he can get playing. It’s just the wages he would command that is a no no. Sancho is another player from the sky 6 that is not actually that bad, but is made to look worse because their fan bases are morons who need to make everything into a meme.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Would prefer Barnes over Sancho I think when you consider their respective wages. 

I think we're the likely destination for Barnes. His other half is pregnant and he doesn't want to up sticks and move. Similar to Tielemans not wanting up his family.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

Sancho isn’t crap at all. It clearly hasn’t worked at UTD but there is a very good player in there. 

I wonder if he'll go to Man City. Pep tried to re-sign him when United came in but wasn't prepared to pay what Dortmund wanted.

59 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Barnes has the runs on the board 13 goals this season from the wing Sancho hasn't showed much in the Premier League.

Sancho is way more productive in terms of creating for others. He doesn't score as much because he doesn't take as many shots. 

Barnes is one of those that remind me of that Moneyball film.  Very effective despite poor stats. What does he do? He gets on base ie he scores goals. 

Who is he competing with in our team is my question ? 

He is rightfooted so not with Bailey. So does that mean he is then competing with JJ on the left. Or does Emery want to turn him into a striker ? 

The Bundesliga did a compilation comparing Leon Bailey and Jadon Sancho. They were 2 stars in Germany. And in the 2 years since they moved their inconsistency has been on show that was never there before. Its a step up to the Prem  . Sancho is made for life on a 5 yr 350k a week contract. Thats over 50 million after tax. Monthly £800k in his pocket every month.  We need hungry players. Ten Hag banished him from the squad until he got his attitude right from memory. Not what we need 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 3

Sancho was fined and suspended a number of times at Dortmund for being late to practice and breaking other team rules. Maybe he's not grown up yet and maybe he never will.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why do Coventry fans hate the villa so much? They’re barely a vague afterthought to what we consider as “rivals”

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We relegated them and they've never made it back. So assume they hold a bitterness over that. We don't care

Yes, sending them down certainly didn't help, but they really didn't like us before then. I think they have probably always known that we were the much bigger club and have a massive chip on their shoulder with us because of that, of course there are a few other "local" clubs with sizeable chips on their shoulders for the very same reason (it's a small club thing;)). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Tbf to Bruce, although we poke fun and criticise him and are well aware of his limitations, he did do some good. He restored team unity and spirit (which was in tatters) and brought in players like McGinn, Hourihane, Adomah and loans like Snodgrass… all who made a huge contribution. I’d even go as far as to say he left Deano with a decent base, who took it much much further and showed how to actually do the job.

Credit where it’s due, but yeah, he’s a poor and dour manager 🤣

Yes, wrong place for this conversation, butb he did what we needed at the time, steadied the ship when we were a mess. 

Certain players thrive in Germany and struggle more in England. Sancho seems like one of those, although to be fair he was looking much better towards the end of the season.
I doubt we're after him, though if Emery thinks he could get him back to his Dortmund form, we're talking about a potentially world class talent.

More likely we'll go after an Iberian / South American based player who will give us similar traits but not murder our salary budget.

We won't be signing any of Barnes, Maddison, or Sancho, the big money will spent on the continent, we haven't installed all these Spanish scouts, and Presidents of Football to only then go and spend most of our budget on Leicester players and top six rejects, any domestic transfers are going to be reserved for 'cut price' deals we might find, à la Tielemans, but the big money transfers, as in thirty million or more, will likely come from beyond the Premier League 👨‍🦲✴️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Sancho was fined and suspended a number of times at Dortmund for being late to practice and breaking other team rules. Maybe he's not grown up yet and maybe he never will.

I find it amazing that a club spends the kind of money United did on such a personality. I mean if he’s a world beater fair enough but he was still massively unproven. 

United’s transfers over the years are appalling. 

Keeping on topic I’m warning to the idea of Barnes. I think Unai could really get the best out of him on a consistent basis.

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Sancho is never going to fulfil his potential because he can't be assed.

He'd never join us anyway and for that I'm grateful...

There are a lot of young English players like that at the moment some are overhyped some overrated and others believe their own hype , maybe part of the reason is guaranteed status within the England squad if you play for a scum 6 team and in Southgate good books. 

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Sancho is never going to fulfil his potential because he can't be assed.

He'd never join us anyway and for that I'm grateful...

Of the two, I think Barnes would be more up for a move to us and to me too, he looks keener to make an impression on a game and to do his bit for the team that he's playing for. His wages and fee would also be less of a hit and his club have to sell him, rather than want to sell him. 

32 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The Bundesliga did a compilation comparing Leon Bailey and Jadon Sancho. They were 2 stars in Germany. And in the 2 years since they moved their inconsistency has been on show that was never there before. It’s a step up to the Prem  . Sancho is made for life on a 5 yr 350k a week contract. Thats over 50 million after tax. Monthly £800k in his pocket every month.  We need hungry players. Ten Hag banished him from the squad until he got his attitude right from memory. Not what we need 

Spot on, and yes we need hungry players with the right character to back up that talent.

30 minutes ago, sne said:

The last thing we need.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

We won't be signing any of Barnes, Maddison, or Sancho, the big money will spent on the continent, we haven't installed all these Spanish scouts, and Presidents of Football to only then go and spend most of our budget on Leicester players and top six rejects, any domestic transfers are going to be reserved for 'cut price' deals we might find, à la Tielemans, but the big money transfers, as in thirty million or more, will likely come from beyond the Premier League 👨‍🦲✴️

Couldn’t agree more.