Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'm not so sure I'd be. It's underhanded and it's gaming the system, despite it's claimed "legality". I'd want Aston Villa to be above it.

Looks like good old fashioned money laundering to me. 

35 minutes ago, pete101 said:

In fairness, my issue with Saudi is the whole sports washing,

But if we were in Newcastle's shoes and knew we were breaking no existing rules, I'd be delighted with this aswel 

Agreed. They are no different to any other fan base. Us included. 

27 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I was surprised by the very recent attempts by the top four Saudi clubs to buy big name players, until I read an article published just two weeks ago that confirmed PIF (Newcastle's owners) had taken control of all of these top four teams.

It seems to copy the emergence of Saudi owned LIV Golf as a disruptive force in Professional Golf, which has led to the total capitulation of the PGA, totally down to huge sums of money being waved about.

This transfer window has just become much more important to Villa, because future transfer windows could be carved up by talented footballers succumbing to greed and avarice, as many golfers have done over the last couple of years.

It will force prices up yet again, so Villa need to get the players that we want and need in this window.

Yes this is a play to take over world football like they have done with golf. The main people who suffer are the fans because it will be even less competitive and have even less integrity than now. Those on the outside will be totally isolated. 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

July 15th for the Walsall friendly, with pre-season training presumably starting on 10th July at the very latest (Unai seems the type of manager that will want to be working with players a lot in pre-season on tactical and technical stuff, so it could well be as early as 3rd July).

You'd expect then for the manager to want at least some of his new players available for him to begin to work his magic on by 10th July - that's only 19 days away - and it could be as soon as 12 days away.

I think we can expect a pretty interesting couple of weeks.

Hopefully we can get a winger in by then. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Yes this is a play to take over world football like they have done with golf. The main people who suffer are the fans because it will be even less competitive and have even less integrity than now. Those on the outside will be totally isolated. 

They can’t buy competition,prestige or history from the transfer market.For sure there are many fans worldwide who follow players which is upto them.They will follow the names to SA.

Europe will remain the no1 place for serious footballers to ply their trade and it will still attract the attention of the majority of football fans (the ones like us anyway).

8 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

They can’t buy competition,prestige or history from the transfer market.For sure there are many fans worldwide who follow players which is upto them.They will follow the names to SA.

Europe will remain the no1 place for serious footballers to ply their trade and it will still attract the attention of the majority of football fans (the ones like us anyway).

If the main governing bodies end up merging with PIF (like LIV and PGA) what do you think will happen?! 

11 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I don't think you can underestimate their lack of respect for convention.

What if they buy six Premier league teams and move all of their European games out to Saudi? So that Manchester United play 19 Premier League games in Manchester, no longer take part in the League Cup because they're busy in the Saudi Arabia invitational tournament and play every Champions League game in Riyadh?

Whichever, as of right now, I guess we go with the flow and try to palm Coutinho off on them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What if they buy six Premier league teams and move all of their European games out to Saudi? So that Manchester United play 19 Premier League games in Manchester, no longer take part in the League Cup because they're busy in the Saudi Arabia invitational tournament and play every Champions League game in Riyadh?

Whichever, as of right now, I guess we go with the flow and try to palm Coutinho off on them.

The big six leaving the league and leaving us all to it? 

Where do we sign?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Saudi Super League is a twist I didn’t expect. 

Can’t lie, a little envious of any club that manages to sign top Italian talent. Grew up in the age of 90s Serie A and Football Italia!

Is it a done deal though? Isn’t Tonali a big time Milan fan? Many Italian players tend to stay put and often get homesick after moving abroad or it doesn’t appeal to them…

Shows what kind of money you can spend and players you can attract if you’re in CL (and owned by a country 🙄 and rules don’t apply).

But…

I’m happy and confident in our midfield and don’t think it lacks much, maybe just a bit of physicality. Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think we can finally mix it with most now and especially under Unai’s guidance.

Where do we think our midfield ranks in the PL compared to other sides? We really do have some top young talent that can further grow and develop with us.

31 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can’t lie, a little envious of any club that manages to sign top Italian talent. Grew up in the age of 90s Serie A and Football Italia!

Is it a done deal though? Isn’t Tonali a big time Milan fan? Many Italian players tend to stay put and often get homesick after moving abroad or it doesn’t appeal to them…

Shows what kind of money you can spend and players you can attract if you’re in CL (and owned by a country 🙄 and rules don’t apply).

But…

I’m happy and confident in our midfield and don’t think it lacks much, maybe just a bit of physicality. Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think we can finally mix it with most now and especially under Unai’s guidance.

Where do we think our midfield ranks in the PL compared to other sides? We really do have some top young talent that can further grow and develop with us.

Id say our midfield is 4th/5th best (better than liverpools), but our attacking side which would include watkins and maybe 1 or 2 players alongside him then id say 8th best (attack), we need to sharpen up heavy in this area, defence id say 5th/6th best (defence) 

Edited by RicRic