Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

36 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

What makes you think Spurs will be worse?

my 2 cents

1. Kane scored 30 goals this past season. Can he replicate this again (I know he's done it before), and what will the situation be with his contract? Will he sign a pre-contract in Jan or what

2. How long of a leash will the fans give Ange? I think, if given time, he could do a good job there. away to Brentford and home to man united is not the easiest start. I've read some fans saying that they are expecting to be back in the top 4 next year. I think there's a possibility that they are better next year, but the fan expectations are imo unrealistic. Even taking my villa tinted glasses off, I think we have a better squad then they do outside of them having one of the best #9's in the world 

3. Outside of Kane & Bentancur (who's still out with an ACL until January I believe) the rest of the squad is pretty average. Son was terrible outside of a handful of games last year & Kulusevski is up and down. 

4. They need to sign defenders. They signed Pedro Porro on loan with an obligation to buy in Jan so I figure he is starting, as is Romero. Don't have a quality partner for Romero (who is also inconsistent), and are they going down the young LB route?

5. They need a keeper. I assume they will sign one, but we just saw a Leicester team get relegated in part because they didn't have a PL-quality keeper.

6. Midfield is very meh, especially with no Bentancur

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As a couple of others may have noted.

The type of wingers we are being linked with, very much makes it seem like raw pace is a priority for Unai on the flank.

Or, as Neil on his podcast so so often states…. That LATENT PACE 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Crazy gamble that - if he’s that certain to be a 15+ goal a season premier league striker he’ll be going to City/PSG/RM.

The chances of us signing someone who outperforms Watkins is very small IMHO. It’d be a massive gamble to offload a striker we know will get us goals.

Every transfer is a gamble. IMO that would be one worth taking 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As a couple of others may have noted.

The type of wingers we are being linked with, very much makes it seem like raw pace is a priority for Unai on the flank.

Players we're linked with and who is a priority for Unai aren't necessarily the same thing. I mean I saw Maguire to Villa article again today

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Gio Reyna is reportedly up for transfer. I know he's been mentioned but would be a nice addition

Wasn't familiar with so googled. Article I found included: BVB cutting losses, struggled for consistency, frequent injury problems

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

People want us to spend, but for me I only want to get it right. I actually had more faith on the board when they didn’t spend. I doubted the plan when we got Coutinho and Dinge. Something wasn’t right. Last January, I think I was one of the few who had some hope for Europe (wether that was here or around my Villa friends), but I admired the fact of not spending much, although I had hope, I wouldn’t have gambled in a short term actions, which we’re not likely achieving. That was the moment I knew we are still in a good hands. Emery showed that even though he came, he won’t just try and take it the easy way by only spending. It’s either to spend on the right targets or just continue the gradual improvement. We’re now facing some tough negotiations for the caliber of players we’re targeting. Until we go to the CL, we’ll fail more than success. Even then, there will still be some challenges. No need to panic. 
The much we improve with less bet spend the better, as we’ll come to a point were we won’t find players out there to upgrade ours, possibly what we pay in a window we’ll need to pay on one player.

Something else, I don think many people wanted Jackson, so if we had him instead of Chelsea, won’t people say we’ve overpaid for him? 
I’m not saying he would fail, but for Chelsea to get this type of player means they’re failing to target the right caliber, or they are in a big financial mess, which could get bigger if they continue their way in buying. Especially if they fail this season, they’ll go mad.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Gio Reyna is reportedly up for transfer. I know he's been mentioned but would be a nice addition

Like Pulisic, talent is there (significantly more imo) but made of glass, which has negatively affected his mentality (nevermind all the chaos with his folks and the USMNT). Emery loves a project but too much risk there, strong possibility we'd only get a handful of games out of him per season.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

As an American, I'd love it, but I'm not Reyna is worth the gamble to Villa.

I'd love to see what Emery could do with Weah, though.

• Like 1

I think it’s interesting how Neves (only 26) is off to Saudi… previously we only really saw older players who had been exceptionally good in their hay day. Neves could’ve probably got a move to a CL team, not a PL one, but abroad I’m sure. But chose to take the money and essentially give up on the prime years of his career. 

36 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think it’s interesting how Neves (only 26) is off to Saudi… previously we only really saw older players who had been exceptionally good in their hay day. Neves could’ve probably got a move to a CL team, not a PL one, but abroad I’m sure. But chose to take the money and essentially give up on the prime years of his career. 

Not when he’s at Newcastle next season.  He’s given up a year or maybe 6 months. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa