Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bailey and Buendia are garbage. We need better. Both have been a waste of money. 

Disagree on Buendia - hasn't been as good as I'd hope, but when we look at our best it's when he's a part of it.  Some of the link up play between him and Ramsey/Watkins has been excellent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

bailey has been a poor signing, Buendia has got better under Emery and definitely has a place in the squad for next season.

He really hasn’t got better under Emery. Honestly, he hasn’t. It’s a nonsense statement. Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Watkins and Ramsey have got better under Emery. Buendia has absolutely not. He’s the same level he was under Gerrard regardless of what you opinion of that level is/was. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He really hasn’t got better under Emery. Honestly, he hasn’t. It’s a nonsense statement. Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Watkins and Ramsey have got better under Emery. Buendia has absolutely not. He’s the same level he was under Gerrard regardless of what you opinion of that level is/was. 

Think a lot of us are guilty of defending buendia religiously because of his work rate and probably his nasty streak that ya love to see in a player but you are correct , he hasn't pushed on and should only be a player we use in rotation 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Nah. He was our best player by some distance under Gerrard.

He's been nowhere near as good under Emery, and it's noticeable because literally everyone else has got better - and we started winning. Gerrard had no tactics and clearly Emi just went **** this and ran around trying to help the side. Under Emery and the strict structure he's been much less effective.

He's often on the cusp of some great performances but dallies for reasons unknown to anyone.

He's going to get dropped from the XI, and it might actually help him to have some more sub appearances.

Bailey is garbage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

And what did we do with the £70m we "didn't" spend? What if we signed Sulemana and Olise for the £20m they went for when we splurged.

We'd have won more points and finished top 4 last year with those two. Because we'd also have had £50m left hanging around and we could have signed a decent back-up striker.

Possibilities, possibilities.

Strong if my Nan had Bollox vibes here...

I'm speaking on facts.. not hypothesis.

As @abdulaziz1.. yeah they may not have been the best... But they've contributed to our season crucially and are nowhere near " useless "

Yeah the players you mentioned are brilliant... But what if they never worked or took time to bed in etc?

" Possibilities"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The simplest way I always put it is.

Minus the points they ( Buendia and Bailey ) have contributed over to our overall season, and get back to me.

Come on now. Marginally more than Traore between them I make it and Traore hardly played 90 minutes altogether all season. Watkins and Ramsey were generally our match winners. We should surely be expecting two of our front three to be contributing at least 15-20 points per season in winning goals. If Bailey is to have any meaningful future with us, he should be spending his summer holidays in Bodymoor Heath with a strength and conditioning coach. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s so true. We can’t afford, without CL money, for our £20m+ signings to be poor. Buendia and Bailey have been extremely poor in relation to their price tag and wages. We can’t afford two more of those types. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

They’re really not. Baileys best performance in a villa shirt was his first game. Buendia has been consistently meh to poor. Both aren’t good enough for us. 

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bailey and Buendia are garbage. We need better. Both have been a waste of money. 

Do you get a £1 every time you post about them? 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Traore hardly played 90 minutes altogether all season

I love Traore.... But let's not pretend we don't SEE and know why he doesn't play " 90 minutes ".

He's a random magician type player. Equally as shite as he is outstanding.

We are all arguing about it, but obviously the Manager agrees, the selections speak for themselves 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As @abdulaziz1.. yeah they may not have been the best... But they've contributed to our season crucially and are nowhere near " useless "

Yeah the players you mentioned are brilliant... But what if they never worked or took time to bed in etc?

" Possibilities"

Well firstly, if those players didn't settle or whatever it wouldn't be a massive issue because they only cost £10m, not £30m.

Secondly, you started the hypothesis: "Minus the points they (Buendia and Bailey) have contributed over to our overall season, and get back to me."

What sort of way to analyse anything is that? Were we playing with nine men? Come on man.

Neither player is a massive bust. Neither is a hit.

If we spend £30m+ on any player this summer and they have the impact of Bailey or Buendia, that's a bad signing at this point. Once you start spending big boy money, you need big boy delivery.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I love Traore.... But let's not pretend we don't SEE and know why he doesn't play " 90 minutes ".

He's a random magician type player. Equally as shite as he is outstanding.

We are all arguing about it, but obviously the Manager agrees, the selections speak for themselves 🤷🏾‍♂️

My point was that in those few minutes, he has pretty much contributed the same or close to the amount of points as Bailey and Buendia combined all season in key goals. And that is an actual fact. 

• Like 1

Getting Nakamura could be shrewd business if he’s not expensive. We need someone on the left wing (while not expected to be regular starter). I’m not sure wether Jackson plays as a striker as well or not, if he plays we could do with having two of them with Williams. Assuming Traore leaves. Although I’d prefer Williams, Joao and one of them. 

Bailey is better as a winger than the half forward position he's been playing under Emery. He's much better when he has more space to run and cut into. We couldn't really play him there though because we didn't have a viable other winger, but if we sign Williams, I could see us play both of them in a 4-3-3 in certain games. I think that's when we'll see the best of him and he'll be worth every penny.

Fwiw, I don't think Williams would be any better than Bailey in the role Bailey is currently playing either. I think we need a Felix or Goncalves type for that position... More technical and a more clinical finisher. Ferran Torres and Asensio as well were that type of player and were linked. It's just a different position with different skills needed. 

Buendia has also been perfectly fine for what he cost. I wouldn't sell him for less than what we paid, when you see the cost of every other player with PL experience. If Brennan Johnson is being valued at 50m, Buendia was a massive bargain at ~30m. If we had had him instead of El Ghazi or Trezeguet or Barkley or Jota or anyone else we played with Grealish, we'd have been a far better team. He's worth far more than any of them, and most of them cost significant amounts too.

It's just very hard and expensive to find much better players at that level. It's only easy to pick examples of other cheaper players that we could have signed when you have the benefit of hindsight. The odds of the lesser known players people want us to sign now, or any of the hyped academy players ever getting to the level Buendia is at are very small. Some might work out, but most won't. 

I think Buendia is not necessarily a great fit for Emery's systems though. He's not physical enough for that advanced role against most teams and not quick enough on the wing. He's still a quality player though and unless a team is coming in with an offer above what we paid, he'll be a very useful squad player who will get plenty of game time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" Possibilities"

JV, on the off chance that your nan does in fact possess a nutsack, might I suggest the second striker role up front for us, we need a spunky bull rutting around and being bothersome to the opposition defences. Guess she might also have a reasonable release clause?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

My predicition is that we will soon reveal the signing of Joel Robles

Leeds are offering him a new deal but is the backup keeper I expected

• Like 1