Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think the dates of the transfer window are a bit of an irrelevance as clearly agreements are being made, deals done etc. and despite the links we don’t appear close with anyone.

Possibly the Alemany situation slowed us right down and we are waiting to get a SD in place before progressing anything. Or things are moving along nicely with a couple of targets and we just haven’t heard yet. Who knows?

If it relates to getting an SD in though how effective would anyone be when they have literally just landed at a club? I would presume our targets are already identified rather than expecting someone who has barely set foot off the plane to identify and recruit the perfect upgrades unless we intend to do our business late in the window meaning any new signing would not feature in pre season.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Alemany wouldn’t have move here until July even if he had agreed. We will have identified targets months ago. 

• Like 1

I heard a  rumour late last night about Ollie watkins.

It involves  contract negotiations involving his management company...plus a HEAVY interest from one certain london club who want to nail him down early in the window.

This could be interesting if true.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

It involves  contract negotiations involving his management company...plus a HEAVY interest from one certain london club who want to nail him down early in the window.

What did you hear? 

4 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Interesting 🤔

4 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

To be honest, depends on how much they offer for him, and our ability to get someone who could do what he does. If it was crazy money (80-100m) then I’d definitely consider it, we won’t get that for him ever, and I guess next summer we’ll have to upgrade anyway, so while the stock is high, and crazy money coming I’d definitely consider. However, 40-50m won’t be acceptable at this stage, better to use him as we don’t have time for players to settle and the gamble would be high especially for striker.

Nothing to see here. It’s most probably Spurs looking to replace Kane, so we’ll be offered £5m and some random youth player, which will be laughed at. 

Move on. 

Edited by av1

I’m so conflicted on Ollie, whether he should be our main CF going forwards…

I really like him, great personality and character on the pitch. Works so hard, so determined, has improved under Unai.

But… he still lacks some attributes or that “reliability factor”…

I don’t want him to leave but, going off past evidence, it seems like he won’t be happy and will become unsettled (and his game or progress will he disrupted) if he isn’t a starter… but what a great guy and player to have in the squad… he’s a rare breed in the sense that he works so hard and is relatively humble and willing to learn… but, can he become anything resembling an elite CF? Is it too unrealistic or ambitious to want or expect us to have that sort of player?

I saw improvements in him under Unai including more of a “cool head” and greater variety of finishes in front of goal…

But, I just think that it’s possible for us to have a more talented and clinical CF…

It’s a tough one… for me anyway. I’ve always admired Ollie, he’s been great for us… but can we do better? I suppose there aren’t “that” many great strikers out there nowadays either, kind of rare and why we see so many teams spend massive amounts of money on (potential) goal scorers…

I really don’t know… I don’t want him to go anywhere but I can’t deny that I’d like us to sign someone more potent and dangerous in attack… but the only position for Ollie in the team is CF imo, I don’t think he’s up to standard in any other position…

I suppose similar arguments/debates could be had for several other of our players… the “can we do better” point…

It’s a tough one, I’m glad that it’s Unai calling the shots rather than anyone else… he knows best…

Is the best solution to supplement Ollie and surround him with more creativity and deadly finishing - spread goals around the team? Or to replace him with a higher quality CF while also adding better quality around that guy? 🤔 

It would be great to have Ollie and a top CF battling out for one spot but… we saw with Ings, that that kind of “experiment” didn’t work out at all (although there were other factors involved)… would it be different with Unai in charge?

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

To be honest, depends on how much they offer for him, and our ability to get someone who could do what he does. If it was crazy money (80-100m) then I’d definitely consider it, we won’t get that for him ever, and I guess next summer we’ll have to upgrade anyway, so while the stock is high, and crazy money coming I’d definitely consider. However, 40-50m won’t be acceptable at this stage, better to use him as we don’t have time for players to settle and the gamble would be high especially for striker.

I agree, no sense in selling Ollie unless it is crazy money and he won’t be easy to replace… but, maybe there’s a player more suited to Unai’s style and setup out there…

It would have to be 60m+ to be worth considering at this stage… he’s one of our most valuable and important players right now…

Also, selling those kind of players isn’t really a good look either is it? Unless a better player is brought in almost immediately…

Another fear, if we sold Ollie, is that he could thrive and be even better in a different team with a higher quality of player.

Can we afford to lose him and strengthen another club?

It’s also a bad idea to disrupt a team’s “mojo”… e.g. if it’s not broken don’t fix it… could risk disruption and unsettling other players.

It’s just, that if there’s an opportunity to upgrade/enhance certain positions… we should really take it… big if though.

I don’t think/believe he’s going to be sold anyway. It’s all hypothetical thinking and debate…

I don’t feel like any of our players would want to leave atm, thriving and enjoying themselves under Unai’s management and the only way is up.

Such exciting times.

Edited by Jas10

Feels like we go through this every year but you can sign players every day of every year. But you can only register them during the windows. Barca and Chelsea even signed players while the had a transfer ban.

That said I have no worries what so ever that we have not disclosed any deals yet. 

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Feels like we go through this every year but you can sign players every day of every year. But you can only register them during the windows. Barca and Chelsea even signed players while the had a transfer ban.

That said I have no worries what so ever that we have not disclosed any deals yet. 

While that's true, most activity happens now and during the window as clubs know their budgets, places in the league, potential European places are decided etc. 

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Arsenal or Tottenham. Wouldn’t be surprised if he wanted to move to Arsenal, seeing as though he is a fan of the club. Would be disappointed if he wanted a move to Spurs, because that would be a sideways step right now. 

Watkins will cost an absolute fortune though, so… 

Just now, Mic09 said:

While that's true, most activity happens now and during the window as clubs know their budgets, places in the league, potential European places are decided etc. 

Yeah absolutely. Just saying that the window hasn't opened yet narrative is a bit pointless. Deals can be made whenever.

• Like 1

so it looks like he might turn down new crontract emty has done a lot for his game

i would take it, if it were a big offer tbh.

Deals can be agreed whenever but sensible clubs wait until after international break before signing the player in case there is a serious injury.

It's a gamble but a sensible approach I think.

We've been negotiating Ollie's contract for a couple months. He's 27, this is likely the biggest contract of his career and he's in the form of his life as the main striker in a European competition.

He'll sign the dotted line before the end of the summer and we'll sell him in 2 years before he hits 30.