Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

44 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Does he realize his team has been relegated?

I think it's more a comment on the fact he's been turning down contracts for several years now. We were 2nd in the league and he was turning it down, finishing 5th twice and winning an FA cup and turning it down. 

To be turning down contracts then, on the presumption you're going to end up at something VASTLY better, it's an odd move to end up somewhere lower than he was when he was turning down his contracts. 

But... I think it says more about his form in the last few years if he does end up with you. He's been horrendous, a player who can pop up with a bit of magic for sure, but good god he's not been close to he was form wise during his loan. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Surprised people still share betting odds like it means anything, as a society we should be more media literate than this.

People sell betting odds as meaningful to convince you it is meaningful, and then you'll be more likely to also part with your money..which will bring the odds down further and generate more articles & tweets to sell more people on betting odds being meaningful...

It’s a vicious cycle. More so when newspapers turn these into clickbait stories. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, picicata said:

When his club most needed him he could not be arsed to put in the effort, he knew he was getting paid and then getting out of there whatever. Whether he is a good player (he's not as good as McGinn or JJ) is irrelevant if he's not going to put in the hard yards

If that was true it would be reflective of his whole career, not a season where the club was relegated. The whole evidence shows a player who was a regular starter for a Belgium team which was ranked No 1 in the world for 4 years straight, played regularly in European competition and won an FA. Cup and Community Shield.

The club sold their best players the last 4 seasons and never replaced them, the club turned off the tap, didn’t sign the players the manager wanted, but the blame rests with Tielemans? 

If he comes to the club, Emery will get the best out of the player again and Villa will benefit as a club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Just had a look on their forum, some really bizarre comments on there about us, they seem really bitter.

They're very much in the denial phase of grief still. With the relegation coming off the back of very good seasons, they've not reached the acceptance phase before being relegated, unlike we did.

Edited by MrBlack
Other, more accurate, models of grief are available

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Something, something, something. It’s between us and Juve.

You’re welcome. 

Two offers on the table and he’s set to make his decision on holiday. So we need to find out where he is going for his jollys and get there with our Villa shirts scarves etc etc etc.

7 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

If that was true it would be reflective of his whole career, not a season where the club was relegated. The whole evidence shows a player who was a regular starter for a Belgium team which was ranked No 1 in the world for 4 years straight, played regularly in European competition and won an FA. Cup and Community Shield

Monaco fans hated him, here he had a good 18 months. Outside of that he's also been poor. I seriously think he has a motivation problem. 

7 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

The club sold their best players the last 4 seasons and never replaced them, the club turned off the tap, didn’t sign the players the manager wanted, but the blame rests with Tielemans? 

Eh... if you think this is what's happened to us and what's been the problem, I'm sorry but you're taking your information from the wrong people. 

4 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I know Emery has worked with Pau, but I’m a bit scared he might get dominated in the air in the prem. I’m sure he’s not the best at winning duels in the air, but who knows he may just adapt fine.

He's 6ft 3.

Depending on where you get your info, that's 3 inches taller than Konsa and Carlos. I think he looks pretty decent in the air? Could be wrong. 

Would be a good move for us. Not sure if we can keep all 4 centre halves happy though, even with the amount of games we have. Might we look to move one on?

3 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We will have European football next season and will hopefully go deep in one cup competition. In that context Tielemans would be a sensible addition to the squad.

By the way, how come all went quiet on Matteo Guendouzi?

they should just back emry  and not frees like tielemans probaly purslow doing

If we manage to shift the players that don’t really have much of a future at the club nor can offer much of a contribution, or possess enough quality (such as Olsen, Hause, Chambers, Nakamba, Sanson, Davis) and maybe someone like Dendoncker and those that are overpaid (but offering little) such as Coutinho and Digne… then we will need to add to the squad and inject quality at the same time.

Too early to call on whether we will do/manage that but we need a better squad, that’s without doubt.

But in that case, an intelligent signing (free, experienced, talented) like Tielemans is really welcome and I would back Emery to bring out the best in him or revive his career (players can stagnate at clubs that have declined or seem directionless) but… at his best, he is a top player and we’ve seen it in the past. Great goal in that FA cup final for instance and interest from “top clubs”.

I would personally hope for better and more signings to genuinely impact and enhance that first XI to go alongside that sort though…

We need to elevate the quality of this squad imo and “big money” signings should genuinely enhance that first team and make us much more formidable and dangerous. More goal scorers are needed, we don’t score enough (regularly) from the chances we create… and I hope we’ll improve in that department too. But there were several games which we should’ve either killed or won (where we lost or drew) but for a lack of ruthlessness or that clinical edge. 

2 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

they should just back emry  and not frees like tielemans probaly purslow doing

There’s no evidence we are in for him. It’s just the betting markets. You can’t blame Purslow for things which don’t exist. 

Were at the stage now where we really need to start pushing for direct upgrades to break the top 6 cartel.

Tielemans is not better than anything we have currently.

I don't see us signing him as it makes no sense.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

There’s no evidence we are in for him. It’s just the betting markets. You can’t blame Purslow for things which don’t exist. 

I can and will. Harumph.

• Haha 1

Tielemans would be a good alternative or rotation option for someone like Luiz, help us control the play and dictate possession. Get the odd goal too…

There are more exciting or attractive targets out there but we may well be doing more business than many of us anticipated (may sign 2-3 midfielders for example while selling a few) and Unai could be looking at building a really strong squad with plenty of options and strength.

We may finally have some “game changers” from the bench and quality cover in case of injury and suspension. We need it because we are going to be playing a lot more games…

Just goes to show how well Unai has done when he had such a light squad, players he inherited and not many options at all really…

It’s so exciting to imagine what he could achieve with more quality at his disposal and players who fit his remit and he himself rates…

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Something, something, something. It’s between us and Juve.

You’re welcome. 

Translates to:

"Pau Torres has two official offer on the table. One is Villa, the other is not Juventus. The decision will be made during the vacation months"

I presume that just means off-season.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's 6ft 3.

Depending on where you get your info, that's 3 inches taller than Konsa and Carlos. I think he looks pretty decent in the air? Could be wrong. 

Would be a good move for us. Not sure if we can keep all 4 centre halves happy though, even with the amount of games we have. Might we look to move one on?

I'm 6ft 4. But can still only jump to a height of 6ft 5 (on a good day) 😉

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I wonder what would be more beneficial to Villa, using the money to buy a few “upgrades” or using the money to bulk the team’s depth. 

Best 11 vs Squad

I’d guess it’ll be a mix, upgrade Bailey and Buendia and then build squad beyond that with players who can push first 11 and allow us to rotate more which will be 100% needed.