Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Barnes would automatically be an improvement on all our wingers/wide forwards, he's a good player, 32 goals and 25 assists in 142 Premier League appearances, from what I've seen a lot of Leicester fans rate him better than Maddison. I don't particularly want us to sign him and think we will try to get better, but am surprised by the extent of the negative reaction to the link, if he leaves Leicester will end up at a top club.

I think the main winger we go for will be a left footer to come in from the right, so the links to Williams, Chukwueze and so on make more sense.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Barnes would automatically be an improvement on all our wingers/wide forwards, he's a good player, 32 goals and 25 assists in 142 Premier League appearances, from what I've seen a lot of Leicester fans rate him better than Maddison. I don't particularly want us to sign him and think we will try to get better, but am surprised by the extent of the negative reaction to the link, if he leaves Leicester will end up at a top club.

I think the main winger we go for will be a left footer to come in from the right, so the links to Williams, Chukwueze and so on make more sense.

I think he is like a right-footed version of Jarrod Bowen and either of them would be decent signings.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It should be the backup and fringe players we move on this summer and upgrading with real quality where possible.

In turn it puts our current first team main crop into the backup/squad rotation.

I don't think we should be even suggesting selling players like McGinn, Luiz etc. Improve on them though, yes.

I agree.

However, thats all presuming we buy better than we already have?.....that to date has been a challenge.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats all presuming we buy better than we already have?.....that to date has been a challenge.

That should not really be a challenge, Tro, the incumbents in the positions where we need upgrades are really not that good.

• Like 2

very tidy player, although not for 60m.......

Pity we didnt buy him in the summer for 17m, would have been great for us tbh.

(edit: just realised the original source was Football Insider - so clearly a non story).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

That should not really be a challenge, Tro, the incumbents in the positions where we need upgrades are really not that good.

I agree.

All I can say is, I have been expecting  a bit better than we have got over the last few seasons.....The wingers we have signed, have been disappointing, so it can dampen the thought, we will eventually get it right.....that has to be established.

We are all, putting much store in the notion, that UE will buy the right players, I am no exception.....but I suspected the previous 2 would too.

Kamara has been a clear upgrade as has Emi Martinez, that has to be the level, for other positions......and they have cost relatively nothing.

Big Money signings, don't seem to work for us, because they all want to play for the top clubs deep down......I think the players character, will play a big part in the type of players we go for in the Summer.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

(edit: just realised the original source was Football Insider - so clearly a non story).

Good Player.

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Excellent player but yes, it would be galling to pay so much after they bought him for so little.

21 hours ago, nick76 said:

So Emery keeps saying he wants a striker….not a forward but a striker.  

So while Torres has been linked, a lot on the main links for the role you are suggesting has been different type of player like Nico Williams who we have been linked with who I would much prefer to Torres.  While Torres went to Spain for very good money from City, I’m not sure he was suiting English football so I’m not sure about big money spent on him.

Back to the striker though, if there was any chance  of Vlahovic I would jump at that unlikely I doubt he’d come to us but we need another striker.

It's a good point Nick and have thought about it too. For me we are currently playing Emery's two striker system - I try not to read too specifically in the term striker here but essentially one of the two furthest forward.

Looking at his previous teams it as been one classical 9 like Moreno and then one more 'converted' forward who's more comfortable drifting to the wings and playing a bit deeper like Danjuma.

Watkins naturally fits more into the Moreno archetype and it feels we are yet to find our Danjuma archetype with Bailey closest of profile but not of desired effectiveness.

This leads me to thinking the 'striker' we are looking for is much more likely to be of a Torres profile replicating Danjuma's role than a classic 9 to replace/compete with Watkins. But it is all speculation and we will never fully know what he's thinking!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree.

However, thats all presuming we buy better than we already have?.....that to date has been a challenge.

Last summer we signed Kamara and Carlos both better than we had

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ZL- said:

It's a good point Nick and have thought about it too. For me we are currently playing Emery's two striker system - I try not to read too specifically in the term striker here but essentially one of the two furthest forward.

Looking at his previous teams it as been one classical 9 like Moreno and then one more 'converted' forward who's more comfortable drifting to the wings and playing a bit deeper like Danjuma.

Watkins naturally fits more into the Moreno archetype and it feels we are yet to find our Danjuma archetype with Bailey closest of profile but not of desired effectiveness.

This leads me to thinking the 'striker' we are looking for is much more likely to be of a Torres profile replicating Danjuma's role than a classic 9 to replace/compete with Watkins. But it is all speculation and we will never fully know what he's thinking!

Highlight reel caveats etc but has recently developed focusing on his in the box finishing and poaching whilst doing a lot of good work on either wing and a bit deeper. Perfect foil playing off Watkins knock downs, similar to how we see Alvarez with Haaland recently or even how Goncalves plays at Sporting.

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Last summer we signed Kamara and Carlos both better than we had

I said that in a previous post.....I acknowledge that, but its 2......I am talking in general.

I have not studied Vlahovic, other than to know, he is prolific as a goal scorer.

But he also offers an aerial threat....something we haven't got, so that would be a welcome addition, to unsettle defenders.

We have to find additional attributes in our players coming in, so we can become a more rounded team.

That's what makes us stronger.

2 hours ago, useless said:

thats the thing...i dont personally, i think he's better than anthony gordon who obviously ended up at newcastle for £40m odd but even if leicester go down i dont see anyone above villa in the table going after barnes 

i think he's better than what we've got but at the same time the frustration over consistency would still be there

and its very much a case of paying english / PL tax on him, there has to be someone of better value out there if not better quality, the spanish version of him would cost half as much

and i actually think maddison is the same, he's a good player, definitely better than what we've got but he's not top top quality and worth the £50m+ that newcastle will get stung for him

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats the thing...i dont personally, i think he's better than anthony gordon who obviously ended up at newcastle for £40m odd but even if leicester go down i dont see anyone above villa in the table going after barnes 

i think he's better than what we've got but at the same time the frustration over consistency would still be there

and its very much a case of paying english / PL tax on him, there has to be someone of better value out there if not better quality, the spanish version of him would cost half as much

and i actually think maddison is the same, he's a good player, definitely better than what we've got but he's not top top quality and worth the £50m+ that newcastle will get stung for him

I agree.

Players who only ever play well against us, is no criteria for buying.

My understanding, is HB is inconsistent.....wingers usually are.....all the more reason for us to do our due dilligence.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have not studied Vlahovic, other than to know, he is prolific as a goal scorer.

But he also offers an aerial threat....something we haven't got, so that would be a welcome addition, to unsettle defenders.

We have to find additional attributes in our players coming in, so we can become a more rounded team.

That's what makes us stronger.

I think vlahovic’s stock is high enough that if Juventus decide to cash in for whatever reason he’ll easily move to a champions league team.

I saw a rumour that he will be allowed to leave if Juve fail to qualify for the champions league and we’re one of the clubs interested… seems doubtful that he’d leave Juve for missing out on CL just to join a team nowhere near the CL to be honest.

It’s an exciting rumour but unfortunately I just can’t see it happening at all.

I would imagine Emery has a list of players he wants that he's already identified, there's a strong chance that most of them are not premier league players, Moreno is a good indicator on the sort of signings he will bring in. Personally I think we need a RB and another central midfielder to play alongside Kamara, we have midfielders who are very similar to each other and this needs to change.

We may see some first team players leaving as well, in order to accommodate a change in character in the team, we need more aggression. 

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just cant srd coutinho baikey and traore being sold in one window

I would keep Coutinho myself, with the other two it depends on whether we get any decent offers for them and I can't really see that happening unfortunately.