Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

AC Milan wanted Botman didn't they?

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

They did but then went off him. Maldini wasnt convinced

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Botman turned them down because they wouldn't pay him the £200k a week Newcastle would.

Exactly my point, cough up enough money for a player not in prem or champions League and you can get real talent 

I am still not comfortable that Kamara alone, is enough to negate the threats of top opposition players......I think we need another for the squad.

Its clear to me we have difficulty in stopping some of the top teams players on a regular basis.....against Newcastle we was sublime, but we don't always play like that.

I would still like to see a commanding midfielder come in.....as well as all the obvious positions to strengthen.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Exactly my point, cough up enough money for a player not in prem or champions League and you can get real talent 

There's very very few around who can't get those offers from already Champions League clubs though. We've signed one in Kamara which is great. Newcastle have signed three which is not great.

I think we need to stop worrying about what other clubs are doing and have faith in the manager. Emery has never worked with huge squads, which is probably one of the main reasons he succeeds where others fail. He knows exactly what he needs in his inventory to compete against anyone. I think we all need to relax because t's going to take possibly at least 2 summer transfer windows to get together the squad he feels can start to really progress the club in the manner he wants. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think we need to stop worrying about what other clubs are doing and have faith in the manager. Emery has never worked with huge squads, which is probably one of the main reasons he succeeds where others fail. He knows exactly what he needs in his inventory to compete against anyone. I think we all need to relax because t's going to take possibly at least 2 summer transfer windows to get together the squad he feels can start to really progress the club in the manner he wants. 

We should have recall clauses in all our loaned player agreements in case of injuries, especially if we are in Europe.

The Vlahovic link is intriguing, but I worry about unsettling Watkins all over again. In a way I kind of want Watkins-Archer-Duran, and we can focus on other positions.

• Like 2

Rumours are Newcastle are scouting Szoboszlai. Always thought he’d be a decent should for one of our attacking midfielder roles.

still only 22 even though it seems he’s been around for ages. Always thought he was leftie though. 

Edited by burchy
  • Like 1

My wish list:

• Lee Kang-in
  • Nico Williams
  • Guendouzi
  • A right back I've never heard of
  • A promising youth goalkeeper that is better than Olsen

Archer kept around the team and him and Duran the backup to Watkins. 

Assume Carlos is going to be back and functional then happy with our options at centre back.

Happy to sell Bailey or Traoré if we get over their remaining book value for them. 

The non-youth players currently out on Loan also to be sold for whatever we can get. 

Then hold on to all our current first team.

Would be a wonderful summer. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

The Vlahovic link is intriguing, but I worry about unsettling Watkins all over again. In a way I kind of want Watkins-Archer-Duran, and we can focus on other positions.

I wouldn't worry about Watkins if we signed Vlahovic.

I also think Archer should be back up next year and money spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I wouldn't worry about Watkins if we signed Vlahovic.

Bringing Ings into the team rattled Ollie and he struggled for consistent form from the day we signed Ings to the day we sold him. Being the main man seems to have worked a charm for Ollie. Signing another big name striker with a big personality could be problematic. I mean, if we did sign Vlahovic, I'd be pretty excited but worried about Ollie falling off again. 

lots of talk of Newcastle having a "huge spending spree", how is that even possible?, they spent 185m this year (with only 8m coming in), and spent 130m the year before (with zero coming in).

So a net spend over the last 2 years of something like 305m already....

Compared to us, our net spend was something like 45m over the last 2 years.....

We had better have a huge summer 😆

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

lots of talk of Newcastle having a "huge spending spree", how is that even possible?, they spent 185m this year (with only 8m coming in), and spent 130m the year before (with zero coming in).

So a net spend over the last 2 years of something like 305m already....

Compared to us, our net spend was something like 45m over the last 2 years.....

We had better have a huge summer 😆

I feel like NSWE are poised to go into full attack mode. Emery, Alemany and V Sports are all massive shows of intent. Emery and Alemany will likely have been given assurances of expenditure that match their ambitions. NSWE will feel like now is the time to just go for it, and making significant, impactful, exciting summer signings will be the norm going forward.

These are the good times, let's enjoy the ride!

• Like 2

I find it interesting just how many times I hear players like Vlahovic and Torres wouldn’t sign for Villa because they want CL football. Now, granted, that might well be the case but we’re fast moving toward an era whereby the Premier League is effectively the Champions League / Super League, whatever you want to call it. 

Outside of England, you’ve got a few top clubs, Bayern, Barca, Napoli, Real etc. but  how much exposure do Real get when they play any team but Barcelona? None. Who watches Bayern when they’re playing any team other than Dortmund? Who’s watching Roma Udinese outside of Italy? Go to India and see how many people are watching Brentford against West Ham. The PL is everywhere and it’s being turned into a franchise sport. Each league is becoming a feeder league to the PL. Portugal being the best example. 

The CL. How good is it playing for a team that might get to play Real or Man City and lose? You play what, 10-12 games against good sides if you do reasonably well? 
Now compare that to playing for Villa. 40k+ every week. Games being streamed all around the world. You play 6 of the best clubs in the world twice and you can be paid pretty much just as much as you can playing for somebody like a Milan or a Juve. 

If the PL continues on its current trajectory, you’ll see more and more top players joining teams like Villa who perhaps would have only joined clubs in the CL in years gone by. 

That’s my opinion anyway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

My wish list:

• Lee Kang-in
  • Nico Williams
  • Guendouzi
  • A right back I've never heard of
  • A promising youth goalkeeper that is better than Olsen

Archer kept around the team and him and Duran the backup to Watkins. 

Assume Carlos is going to be back and functional then happy with our options at centre back.

Happy to sell Bailey or Traoré if we get over their remaining book value for them. 

The non-youth players currently out on Loan also to be sold for whatever we can get. 

Then hold on to all our current first team.

Would be a wonderful summer. 

While I a m not sure of the details you propose ... I do agree with the general direction.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I find it interesting just how many times I hear players like Vlahovic and Torres wouldn’t sign for Villa because they want CL football. Now, granted, that might well be the case but we’re fast moving toward an era whereby the Premier League is effectively the Champions League / Super League, whatever you want to call it. 

Outside of England, you’ve got a few top clubs, Bayern, Barca, Napoli, Real etc. but  how much exposure do Real get when they play any team but Barcelona? None. Who watches Bayern when they’re playing any team other than Dortmund? Who’s watching Roma Udinese outside of Italy? Go to India and see how many people are watching Brentford against West Ham. The PL is everywhere and it’s being turned into a franchise sport. Each league is becoming a feeder league to the PL. Portugal being the best example. 

The CL. How good is it playing for a team that might get to play Real or Man City and lose? You play what, 10-12 games against good sides if you do reasonably well? 
Now compare that to playing for Villa. 40k+ every week. Games being streamed all around the world. You play 6 of the best clubs in the world twice and you can be paid pretty much just as much as you can playing for somebody like a Milan or a Juve. 

If the PL continues on its current trajectory, you’ll see more and more top players joining teams like Villa who perhaps would have only joined clubs in the CL in years gone by. 

That’s my opinion anyway. 

Players come to the Premier League for the money, not the prestige.  They go to Champions League clubs in the other 4 big leagues to win stuff and/or get in the spotlight for a big money move because there are only 6 clubs in Europe outside of the Prem who can compete financially (PSG, Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Atletico, & Juve).  

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Players come to the Premier League for the money, not the prestige.  They go to Champions League clubs in the other 4 big leagues to win stuff and/or get in the spotlight for a big money move because there are only 6 clubs in Europe outside of the Prem who can compete financially (PSG, Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Atletico, & Juve).  

I think that’s going to change. The money will remain but the prestige is going to grow. The PL is an unstoppable force globally and will become THE league to play in. Like the NFL. As more and more money comes in, the less likely it is for top teams from other counties to compete. I think the pull of going to a Spanish or an Italian team in the CL will be no greater than joining a mid table PL team on the same money. 

The Dusan Vlahovic IMO must be down  to the fact that his agent or an intermediary has been in touch to say there could be a deal to be done here. He’s probably been touted around most of the top 10 plus Chelsea so chances are v.slim. I think there’s more in this than just clickbait but will hinge on other clubs and our finishing position. I don’t think it will happen but you never know… 

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Bringing Ings into the team rattled Ollie and he struggled for consistent form from the day we signed Ings to the day we sold him. Being the main man seems to have worked a charm for Ollie. Signing another big name striker with a big personality could be problematic. I mean, if we did sign Vlahovic, I'd be pretty excited but worried about Ollie falling off again. 

I just can’t be onboard with this chain of thought.  Risking our season because of one player would really concern me.  I love Archer and Duran but if Ollie got injured or went out of form or whatever then our season is hugely impacted.  We cannot conceive of having a long period of either Archer or Duran up front.  I grant Ollie’s injury record is brilliant but bad injuries do happen.  

That is also not my only reason, we play fantastic when it works but occasionally Ollie can get played out of the game, we need quality options and being up front it has to something substantial as an option.  Emery has identified needing another quality striker and I whole heartedly agree.  We can’t have options all over the pitch of quality and not in a key position like the goalscorer/striker.

As for Ollie/Ings thing, I’m not completely convinced it was just Ings.  Ollie not long come back from preseason minor injury, Smith got sacked, Ollie back up to speed, Gerrard’s poor coaching, Ollie just had his first baby, team struggling.  Ings was a factor but Emery’s coaching, maturity, a defined role in the team and confidence made the difference.  Hopefully bringing in another quality striker as Emery has said he will, will not hinder Ollie.  If we are serious about challenging Top 6 next season I think it is wise to bring in another quality striker.  Bring Archer back, send Duran out on loan.  What we can’t do is leave ourselves short.

• Like 1