Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not sure where the Vlahovic rumours have come from but can't see him leaving Juve for us.  With their points deduction overturned they are back in the top 4, I don't see a highly rated player leaving CL football.

I don't think that points deduction is 100% staying off.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think that points deduction is 100% staying off.

I thought it was deferred until next season?  Even if it is reversed again, they may still win the Europa League, gaining entry to CL that way.

And even if they aren't in Europe at all next season, the amount of CL teams that potentially need a striker (Man U, Bayern, PSG, Real), I can't see him picking us, this is Joao Felix all over again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Exactly, every team can come up with £0.  So, you have more competition for his signature, as opposed to only a select few teams that can afford £100m, so less competition for his signature.

Sure, but we are among the ones who cant spend €100m on a player 

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we signed Christensen, I would consider it a somewhat full-circle fulfilment of the prophecy from 7 years ago, when I accosted him in the Vapiano pizzeria at the top of the Minto shopping centre in 'Gladbach and effectively begged him to make his loan move permanent.  Good times.  Alright pizza, too, pretty sure I've seen branches over here now.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Not in terms of entitlement. As someone that has had to struggle for everything, barely had anyone to rely on, that entitlement stuff is idiotic in my eyes. You get what you earn, and if you don't work to earn something, you won't get it! If you are lucky enough to be given everything you want and need, then the giver is potentially spoiling you for life.

I mean in terms of seeing any player as a possibility, and discussing them on their merits, and not 'never going to get them' (as that is the reality of most players links anyway). In terms of hope to see a top four challenge from next season and so on. Being positive, not negative. Believing we belong at the top, rather than whingeing that we should be at the top.

I don't agree. It's important to have expectations that are rooted in reality, because believing we belong at the top when it hasn't been earned will soon turn to whingeing. There's a fine line between optimism and delusion and the result of goals not being achieved will be disappointment and negativity. 

To play this out in an example, I don't expect us to get Europe this year.

The fact that we're in the running is excellent and shows that not only do we have a great manager, but the squad is good too. At best, we can make Europa League, but conference or not making Europe at all are far more likely outcomes.

As a result, if we don't make Europe, I'm going to focus on all the positives moving forward. The fact that we even found ourselves in that position after the start we had under Gerrard is incredible.

So, logical reasoning active, why would a player like Vlahovic want to go to a club that's not a title challenger, nor in the CL, nor will be for a while? Answer: he wouldn't. That's fine. There's nothing negative about it. It's just being real. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mo Salah smashed Premier League in his 1st season in England 😂

Haaland from another weak league has also destroyed Premier League. 

Both put up beat ever league numbers in the first season in the toughest league in human history

Technically that was Salah's third season in England. He managed two goals in his first season, and zero in his second. 

I have never heard of this guy, but I am imagining he will have one hell of a shot on him. Any Villa Talkers that have seen him play that can confirm?

Villa want Van Den Boomen

Aston Villa are interested in signing exit-bound Toulouse midfielder Branco van den Boomen, according to The Guardian’s Fabrizio Romano.

The Italian journalist has revealed (via Twitter, 5 May) that van den Broom has decided not to sign a new deal with the Ligue 1 side as he wants to keep his options open.

Guest av1

Watching the highlights of Vlahovic he reminds me a little of Van Nistelrooy, doesn’t offer great all round play but an absolutely lethal finisher. 

Is that fair? 

Guest av1
6 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I have never heard of this guy, but I am imagining he will have one hell of a shot on him. Any Villa Talkers that have seen him play that can confirm?

Aston Villa are interested in signing exit-bound Toulouse midfielder Branco van den Boomen, according to The Guardian’s Fabrizio Romano.

The Italian journalist has revealed (via Twitter, 5 May) that van den Broom has decided not to sign a new deal with the Ligue 1 side as he wants to keep his options open.

His YouTube videos suggest a bit of a set piece expert. 

Edited by av1

Vlahovic and Torres do seem a little out of reach at this moment, although their stock is not as high as a year or two ago. Vlahovic's Juventus stint so far hasn't been hugely successful and as a goalscorer over the last 18 months he hasn't been any better than Ollie, but his all-round game is better and technically he's a level above. I imagine if we want a striker it would be the next level down so someone like Openda or Jonathan David. I think a second striker/winger, attacking midfielder, central midfielder and right back are all positions we need to strengthen before upgrading Ollie though, and I'd probably upgrade Konsa before that happens too. 

I'm not really sure why there are so many that like to say this or that player would never come here. We've been rubbish for over a decade but I think this season shows the next few years we are going to compete. Of course we have to show that consistency but we are not a joke team like we were a few years ago, we're a very serious club that wants to compete with the very best. I think we might need a top 4 finish to convince players like Vlahovic to come, but I'm guessing even if we finished top 4 they'd still be some people on here saying this or that player wouldn't come. Instead of speculating maybe it's better to wait and see what the club can do, I have a feeling we might sign 2-3 players this summer that we didn't think we'd have a hope in hell of signing. 

19 minutes ago, NeilS said:

https://fbref.com/en/players/99d660b2/scout/365_m1/Branco-van-den-Boomen-Scouting-Report 

His numbers look great - especially SCA/GCA/Key passes. 

Looks like a guy who is good at retaining possession, as well as creating chances. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Vlahovic and Torres do seem a little out of reach at this moment, although their stock is not as high as a year or two ago. Vlahovic's Juventus stint so far hasn't been hugely successful and as a goalscorer over the last 18 months he hasn't been any better than Ollie, but his all-round game is better and technically he's a level above. I imagine if we want a striker it would be the next level down so someone like Openda or Jonathan David. I think a second striker/winger, attacking midfielder, central midfielder and right back are all positions we need to strengthen before upgrading Ollie though, and I'd probably upgrade Konsa before that happens too. 

I'm not really sure why there are so many that like to say this or that player would never come here. We've been rubbish for over a decade but I think this season shows the next few years we are going to compete. Of course we have to show that consistency but we are not a joke team like we were a few years ago, we're a very serious club that wants to compete with the very best. I think we might need a top 4 finish to convince players like Vlahovic to come, but I'm guessing even if we finished top 4 they'd still be some people on here saying this or that player wouldn't come. Instead of speculating maybe it's better to wait and see what the club can do, I have a feeling we might sign 2-3 players this summer that we didn't think we'd have a hope in hell of signing. 

I think it's because 4 years ago we were in the Championship, so talk of signing CL players who aren't past it, still seems a bit un-realistic.  If we finish top 4 in the next couple of seasons, then attitudes towards that would almost definitely change.