Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Need backup striker that can maybe play as well. That Archer at Boro looks good. Should get his teammate Ramsey as well

English and overrated. 
Nakamba from Luton. Now he looks a player.

Edited by SecretVillaScout
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

It's not specifically a problem with Cash, but it's a problem with the entire first team that we're too small, and that shows up when we're trying to defend set pieces. Cash is the most logical player to replace to improve that weakness. (Konsa too, but replacing the current 2nd best aerial threat offers less scope for improvement). Getting a taller midfielder in too would be great, but RB is the most logical. 

Cash has been doing perfectly fine in that role, so he doesn't need to be replaced at all, but we need to make improvements somewhere, and that is a position that we can address a clear weakness in the team, and probably not even at a big cost.

Cash is probably worth 30m+ because he has the abilities that most teams look for in a modern full back - the ability to get up and down the pitch all game. But we don't use that most of the time. What we primarily need is a guy who is good defensively against wingers, good in the air and good in possession, especially under pressure. Cash has been doing fine in that role, but we could definitely find someone with those specific strengths, and we could possibly even turn a profit whole doing so, as there is more of a premium on Cash's strengths than those of the type of player we're looking for. 

People have mentioned Konsa for that RB role, but Konsa's limitations on the ball are already obvious at CB, and would be more of a problem at RB. The RB needs to be very comfortable on the ball. One of the reasons Young has been so good in that position despite not being a natural defender is that it's comparatively easy for him to play there compared to the wing. He has way more time on the ball, so it's easy for him. It would be the opposite for Konsa. He'd have less time, and he's already not progressive or ambitious enough on the ball as it is.

We could keep Cash as a backup/attacking option, but I've already argued that that seems a massive waste of resources. Our budget will have limits, so keeping a high earning player whose resale value is at it's peak is just bad business. We could get someone cheaper and with potential there, and even that would only be needed if KKH and Young are not in contention for that role next year. 

I was thinking about this too...

Dendoncker is 6ft 2in and added a presence today, it's horses for courses and all that.

Cash I like and he was performing very well before his injury...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I really don't understand why everyone is trying to get rid of Matty Cash?

I think some people think he has some defensive weaknesses and erratic end product. And they're not wrong. That said, he has obvious quality to his game and is an asset to the side. And he's a good guy, a top professional. I'd like to keep him in a platoon/backup role.

It's going to be very interesting to see who teams will be able to pull in the transfer market this summer.  For the first time in a long time, I don't think Liverpool, Chelsea, and Spurs will have the pull on new signings that they usually have.  No Champions League football and questions surrounding management and their dressing room chemistry may cause their top targets to go elsewhere.  Man United may have new investment to help them spend big on new players for the first time in a while and Arsenal/Man City will continue to boss the market and get who they want.  Brighton, Newcastle, and Villa are the ones primed to start making big moves in the market.  They're all teams on the up, playing great football, with coaches their squads respect, and all will probably have European football to entice players to sign for them instead of other clubs.  

I can't wait to see who we sign.  I think we're all going to be surprised by our summer business in a good way.

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It's going to be very interesting to see who teams will be able to pull in the transfer market this summer.  For the first time in a long time, I don't think Liverpool, Chelsea, and Spurs will have the pull on new signings that they usually have.  No Champions League football and questions surrounding management and their dressing room chemistry may cause their top targets to go elsewhere.  Man United may have new investment to help them spend big on new players for the first time in a while and Arsenal/Man City will continue to boss the market and get who they want.  Brighton, Newcastle, and Villa are the ones primed to start making big moves in the market.  They're all teams on the up, playing great football, with coaches their squads respect, and all will probably have European football to entice players to sign for them instead of other clubs.  

I can't wait to see who we sign.  I think we're all going to be surprised by our summer business in a good way.

These clubs still have the London factor plus today's players have grown up on them winning the biggest prizes in football (well not Spurs).

I had forgotten that Chelsea have signed Nkunku from Leipzig for next season. 16 goals in Bundesliga this season so that's the proven quality that can elevate us further but looks like he'll just get stuck in the bottleneck of wide forwards/second strikers they just have instead.

From being relatively unheralded and unknown Moreno is turning into one of our best value signings in last decade week by week. Sign 2-3 more of that type in the summer and we're well set for next season.

In 2015-16, Chelsea finished 10th and managed to buy Kanté and Drinkwater from league-winning Leicester, so I wouldn't be so sure about their pull getting any less even without CL.

As VillaChris says, they're still an attractive team to this generation of players, who probably grew up supporting them while they were hugely successful.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Even if it were true, I don't think Liverpool have the funds to buy Ramsey, we would ask for an awful lot of money for him

Not advocating that we do it, but if Liverpool threw a lot of money at us for JJ when their first choice Bellingham turns them down for Man City/Madrid, getting Veiga as a replacement would be a very solid move.  

Edited by KMitch

2 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

If Gravenberch is available, we should try to get in on that. A gem in a big bucket of gems at Bayern.

Always sign him for us on FIFA Career mode... He's ridiculous on it... Gets into higher 90's.

Prick handed in a transfer request and refused to sign a new contract just because I started Bellingham over him a couple times though 🙄

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

The summer window will depend completely on whether we’re in Europe or not. But the excitement is just wonderful. 

I think the momentum for us under Emery is a selling point no matter what. Yes if we're in Europe we'll need a bigger squad. I don't think it'll be the deciding factor for some of our targets though

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Always sign him for us on FIFA Career mode... He's ridiculous on it... Gets into higher 90's.

Prick handed in a transfer request and refused to sign a new contract just because I started Bellingham over him a couple times though 🙄

You should drop Bellingham from your team completely and make him play with the kids and reduce his wages. If he asks you, why tell him that you have no time for noses and resent not being able to drink in town. Also end the conversation with ‘mate’

**not sure if any of this is possible in the game 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, burchy said:

I think Watkins form might impact our striker search a little, so we might end up going for a relatively unknown, supported by Archer/Duran

Thing is, we already have, as you pointed out Duran/Archer , so going for a relative unknown would be pointless imo.

If we plan to keep them, we'd be better off going to a top notch versatile forward/support striker which can operate all across the front line.

For all we know though, Emery may decide to send Duran out on loan, Archer might want to leave if he can't get football also so who knows.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Thing is, we already have, as you pointed out Duran/Archer , so going for a relative unknown would be pointless imo.

If we plan to keep them, we'd be better off going to a top notch versatile forward/support striker which can operate all across the front line.

For all we know though, Emery may decide to send Duran out on loan, Archer might want to leave if he can't get football also so who knows.

Yep, we sell or loan out our high potential strikers and then get in another high potential striker... 

Think there's also a danger that we replace our 2nd choice striker with a 2nd choice striker 

I know Emery said he wanted to do it but I don't get it

Unless it's goodbye archer.... Hello moukoko! It's not the relative unknown it's the opposite, someone off the golden boy list who still needs time 

I'm keen to see what forward we get in the summer. I really don't have a clue what type of player it'll be. It could be a player who is direct competition for Watkins a pacy goal scorer. It could be a wide forward who can also play centrally akin to Salah (this is more likely). It could be a forward who drops deep from the front line like Buendia is doing or the "false 9" type player. 

I think it'll be a signing who can play with Watkins or in place of him, so a wide / inside forward. 

• Like 2