Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

It'll interesting to see where he ends up, injuries have robbed him of a lot of football and yet at the same time for a 20 year old kid he's actually played what should be regarded as a normal amount of football, gavi and pedri have stolen a bit of his shine too

All that said dembele has worked for barca eventually

I can see him "dropping down" to a slightly lower level but unfortunately by that I mean spurs or utd, then staying fit being brilliant and then looking for the big move back up to one of the biggest teams

We would be a step too far down for him I think unless his injuries really do make him too big a risk for everyone else

Doesn’t Fati play predominantly out left, which is where we don’t really need a winger as such. 

Great player but like everyone else has said we can’t afford him, even if he’d come. Plus his wages are astronomical

7 hours ago, burchy said:

Doesn’t Fati play predominantly out left, which is where we don’t really need a winger as such. 

Great player but like everyone else has said we can’t afford him, even if he’d come. Plus his wages are astronomical

why don't we need a left winger then.  who've we got in our squad who plays there.  I'd say that's exactly the position we need someone.  Not that we'd have a chance in hell mind.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 03:09, paul514 said:

So all in all I could see 150m needing to be spent and we might bring in 70-80m IF there were willing buyers which inevitably there won't be for a couple of them.

I think that is a reasonable net spend, wouldn't increase the wage bill and is enough squad surgery to mould the squad to Emery's system.

Villa’s total turnover is £180m with wages at £140m.

I don’t think £80m net spend in one summer is reasonable. I think it’ll be £40m  net spend.

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I don’t think £80m net spend in one summer is reasonable. I think it’ll be £40m  net spend.

So unless we are selling some players for big fees then we are going to be a mid table team again because that is Brentford and Fulham levels.  

While those teams are doing well this season, if we want to be a European place challenging team then net spend has to be more unless we are extremely good in the market which history shows we are at best average.  

I can’t imagine Emery coming here then to be challenging with the likes of Brentford and Fulham.  

It seems from reporting everybody is expecting a big summer, which may mean some big outgoings but I bet the incomings will be more than 40m of the outgoings.  Emery is going to be backed.  While what you say looks reasonable on paper, when you compare to other teams we are competing with, 40m net spend is very low.

Edited by nick76

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The suggestions I made wouldn’t increase the wage bill and net spend is irrelevant if the owners make a cash injection, which is what they have done up to this point.

I have no evidence to suggest they will change their stance right now especially considering they have recruited one of the top 10 managers in the world.

there is also lots of room on FFP limits too.

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

That's old data. I don't think the turnover for 2022 has been published.

13 hours ago, sne said:

Contract until 2027 and a €1b release clause. Gonna hazard a guess that Fati won't be joining Villa.

You think too small.

We're signing him he'll be happy with his back-up role to Bertie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

why don't we need a left winger then.  who've we got in our squad who plays there.  I'd say that's exactly the position we need someone.  Not that we'd have a chance in hell mind.

Emery doesn’t play with an out and out LW, it’s more a LM/CAM that comes inside and the fullback overlaps and provides the width. 

Before Emery I was all for a LW and RW to come in and wanted us to go for Gakpo before we went to Liverpool (he’ll come good there) but Emery ball changed that.

• Like 1

Xavi Simons anyone for the LM/CAM slot, scored again today, that’s 9 goals and 5 assists in 20 league games for PSV at CAM. Johan Bakayoko also played 90mins and scored too  

Simons is another option to Kamada if we reinforce the left-hand side in the Summer. 

45 minutes ago, burchy said:

Emery doesn’t play with an out and out LW, it’s more a LM/CAM that comes inside and the fullback overlaps and provides the width. 

Before Emery I was all for a LW and RW to come in and wanted us to go for Gakpo before we went to Liverpool (he’ll come good there) but Emery ball changed that.

Exactly there is no point talking about wingers now unless you think they are a SS/AM/10 whatever we want to call them the position Bailey is playing.

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Exactly there is no point talking about wingers now unless you think they are a SS/AM/10 whatever we want to call them the position Bailey is playing.

Bailey average position is wide on the right flank in possession, the only time he plays as a striker is when the team is in its defensive shape.