Premier League relegation battle 2022/3

useless

Fulham have quite the involvement with the relegation threatened teams -

In April, the first 4 of their 6 games are Bournemouth, West Ham, Everton and Leeds.

In May, the first 3 games are Leicester, Southampton and Palace.

Of course, if Fulham rediscover their touch that might mean it’ll be tricky to overtake them.

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Fulham have quite the involvement with the relegation threatened teams -

In April, the first 4 of their 6 games are Bournemouth, West Ham, Everton and Leeds.

In May, the first 3 games are Leicester, Southampton and Palace.

Of course, if Fulham rediscover their touch that might mean it’ll be tricky to overtake them.

I know it was Arsenal, but their defending today - especially Robinson - was absolutely atrocious and they basically didn't create a chance of note from open play. As you say, they'll play a big role in the shakeout of this season and they're far from invincible so getting a win vs them a definite potential route out of trouble. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know it was Arsenal, but their defending today - especially Robinson - was absolutely atrocious and they basically didn't create a chance of note from open play. As you say, they'll play a big role in the shakeout of this season and they're far from invincible so getting a win vs them a definite potential route out of trouble. 

Yeah my post took a pessimistic view of “Awww, Fulham have got all the rubbish teams left to play!”

When as you suggest, what is probably more likely is that these 7 games against relegation threatened sides are going to be rather difficult for them. Fulham appear to be heading to the beach rather than Europe, so we might benefit from that.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

0 wins in 12 for Palace, yikes, not won a single game in 2023.

Actually its only 2 wins in the last 20 for them i think, and 11 points over those 20 games, so 0.55 PPG over the last 20 games.

Thats shocking form, a full season of that would put them on 21 points......

Edited by MaVilla

On 13/03/2023 at 08:20, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Fulham are a different side when Palhinha plays. He’s been out the last few weeks and its shown.

One of the signings of the season for me.

ye impressive technical player, add to that he is a tall lad and his frame suits the PL well, ticks all the boxes.

What did they sign him for?, 17m ish?, what a steal, we should have been all over that.

• Like 1

I saw a league table based on the bottom the current nine teams form against each other this season and Xtal Palace had by far the best points per game ratio based on that criteria, in other words they've been pretty good against bottom half teams. And eight of their remaining fixtures are against teams in the bottom nine, they've still to play Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, Everton, Wolves, West Ham, Bournemouth, and Forest, they still have to play every team below them in the table, so I think will stay up comfortably.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Vieira has been well and truly found out for the poor manager he is

I thought he did well last season even if they didn't finish that high in the end.

This season they've regressed badly in final third. It's a simple case of not replacing Conor Gallagher with any similar type of midfielder. Take out his 8-9 goals and it's back to Hodgson type midfield that will sit very deep and leave the forward players very isolated and having to come up with individual moments for goals.

They're playing like Steve Bruce is managing them currently which is not a great look.

• Like 1

Seven of Palace's last ten games have been against Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd twice, Newcastle, Liverpool, and Man City, and the other three games have been against form teams like us, Brighton, and Brentford, that's why their recent form doesn't look great, but with their fixtures coming up - they've still to play every team below them, their form will even out and they should comfortably stay up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I thought he did well last season even if they didn't finish that high in the end.

This season they've regressed badly in final third. It's a simple case of not replacing Conor Gallagher with any similar type of midfielder. Take out his 8-9 goals and it's back to Hodgson type midfield that will sit very deep and leave the forward players very isolated and having to come up with individual moments for goals.

They're playing like Steve Bruce is managing them currently which is not a great look.

Last season was a bit of a new manager bounce but only finished 3 points ahead of us. He did nothing in France or US

Just like Gerrard/Lampard he was hired on name alone

7 hours ago, useless said:

Seven of Palace's last ten games have been against Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd twice, Newcastle, Liverpool, and Man City, and the other three games have been against form teams like us, Brighton, and Brentford, that's why their recent form doesn't look great, but with their fixtures coming up - they've still to play every team below them, their form will even out and they should comfortably stay up.

That’s how it works on paper, but going up against relegation battles in awful form is not what you want to be doing.

Most of the teams down there have picked up points from some of the top sides recently - exactly what Palace haven’t been doing. They’re well in the mix. 

I don’t think Palace will be relegated but they are in the mix. 

But I’m close to giving up at predicting this relegation battle, whenever I write off a team they seemingly win the following week. 

At the moment, I think are Leeds are looking like they will be one of the three and Wolves are basically safe. So put your money on Leeds winning 5-0 at Molinuex on Saturday.

Watched the Southampton game last night and they were dire.

It reminded me of us when we were sleepwalking to relegation without a hope.

Latest odds after last nights games. I'm surprised that Palace are not shorter than 11/2

spacer.png

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

That’s how it works on paper, but going up against relegation battles in awful form is not what you want to be doing.

Most of the teams down there have picked up points from some of the top sides recently - exactly what Palace haven’t been doing. They’re well in the mix. 

Palace drew 0-0 v Liverpool about three weeks ago. And also had draws v Newcastle, Man. United and Brighton at Selhurst in last two months so they're still tough to beat in home games.

They just need to beat any two of Everton, Bournemouth, West Ham and Forest at home in the run in. 8 points from that and they're not getting relegated.

55 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Watched the Southampton game last night and they were dire.

It reminded me of us when we were sleepwalking to relegation without a hope.

Latest odds after last nights games. I'm surprised that Palace are not shorter than 11/2

spacer.png

West Ham is a pretty decent price, I'm amazed so many are thinking they'll stay up pretty comfortably. Every week there's little to suggest and before too long their 1-1 home draws won't be enough.

Palace are in trouble as they can't score goals, but those home games should get them enough points.

Southampton take one step forward and then one back immediately afterwards - therefore going nowhere.

Leicester have a poor defence and have a keeper who wouldn't be first choice for most Championship teams. That leaves them in big trouble, but they might just outscore teams in games like their one against us the other week. If they stop scoring, they're in big trouble.

Bournemouth are scrapping and have a chance but always look likely to get hammered - same as Forest and Leeds.

Everton will Dyche-ball their way to 1-0 home wins and stay up. Same as Wolves, and West Ham (although they'll 1-1 their way through it). West Ham might end up in trouble if they get a bit side tracked by still being in Europe 

Between Bournemouth, Forest, Leeds, Leicester and Palace for the other 2 spots. Might come down to whether any club changes manager or not.

Edited by StewieGriffin