Premier League relegation battle 2022/3

useless

Palace will struggle to stay up next year. Kicking the opposition off of the pitch only gets you so far. 

This season alone, they've committed 197 fouls resulting in just 3 reds. Better officiating and that number would be far higher. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Palace will struggle to stay up next year. Kicking the opposition off of the pitch only gets you so far. 

This season alone, they've committed 197 fouls resulting in just 3 reds. Better officiating and that number would be far higher. 

Many things wrong with this.

Firstly, that stat just can't be correct surely?  197 fouls after 27 games is about 7 per game but most teams average around 10 fouls per game, so it would make Palace ludicrously light on fouls.

Secondly, just looking at a foul number and then a card count is utter nonsense.  From memory, we've had 1 red card this season (which was overturned) but will have committed a fair number of fouls.  Palace's 3 red cards to <x> fouls would look overly punished compared to our 1 red card to <x> fouls but it completely depends on the situation/type of foul.

• Like 1

Because so many teams involved one win isn't going to make a big difference, any club looking to pull away from danger needs to go on a run of wins. And it's actually just three points seperating twelve and nineteen, just four points seperating Southampton at the bottom of the table and Palace, so extremely congested.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Feels like who will have the most luck from officials will stay up. Southampton handed a point from a very contentious penalty decision. 

Considering the handball decisions today - Southampton getting their penalty was the most astonishing 

Good draw for Everton today, but they're still very much in the battle, just two points above safety, next two games are against Man Utd and Spurs, if they lose those two will be just one win in seven for them.

50 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Thank **** we are out of this. Just so hard to call. I think I’d say Southampton, Bournemouth and Forest. Hoping for Leeds, Wolves, West Ham. 

Exactly, could so easily have been us in the mix before Don Unai arrived.

• Like 1

I had written off the idea that Wolves will go down and I still have them as one of the better placed candidates to stay up.

However, they really needed to pick up something from their next five games -

Forest (a), Chelsea (h), Brentford (h), Leicester (a), Palace (h)

Because I don’t think they’re picking up much from their final five games -

Brighton (a), Villa (h), Man Utd (a), Everton (h), Arsenal (a)

That penultimate Everton game is potentially massive.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

A few teams will get themselves clear, but the final day of the season could be very, very tasty

Palace vs Forest

Everton vs Bournemouth

Leicester vs West Ham

I wonder if it’ll prove to be that in one or two of these games the two sides both just need a point to ensure safety.

AltruisticForkedFlycatcher-size_restrict

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Good draw for Everton today, but they're still very much in the battle, just two points above safety, next two games are against Man Utd and Spurs, if they lose those two will be just one win in seven for them.

If? Would you consider Tottenham a tough game right now. They got battered by Leicester and could only draw against Southampton. 

Spurs have won two of their four and would have won today if it wasn't for an injury time penalty that was apparently controversial. Tottenham are a tough game for a team like Everton, and probably even more so after a couple of disappointing results, Spurs not guaranteed a win but if I had a to pick a winner I would pick them over Dyche's charges.

4 hours ago, useless said:

After today's games just three points seperate West Ham in eighteenth and Crystal Palace in twelve.

You gotta love it. MLS doesn't want their fanbase to know, though.