Premier League relegation battle 2022/3

useless

11 hours ago, robby b said:

I'd like the three to go down to be Everton, West Ham and Leicester, to shake things up and make it interesting/fun/dramatic, etc... But I don't think it will be any of those three. I predict Bournemouth, Forest and Saints.

But who knows, with it being so tight with those nine clubs?! And it's so nice being the club above them all with a very comfortable 7 point cushion! ☺️

It’s about details, Leicester had an ok form three times now, but failed to have momentum. They’re the best down there, but it could all go wrong. Same with all others. You’d have expected Bournemouth to surrender yet they had their movements during the window. You’d expect that Wolves win against Soton would send them down but they came with 6 tough points. Glad we’re not there, it’s interesting as it goes. Would be interesting if many of those goes to the last game with a chance of survival. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Although I like Everton as a club I would like to see how they cope with the Championship.

They would add an extra dimension to the competition.

I would like them to do a Sunderland 

On 04/02/2023 at 22:30, Zatman said:

Palace are the team to watch out for in the relegation battle

One month on and they've yet to win since this post. 9 teams now within 6 points of each other at the bottom. Palace at the top of that mini-league and only 5pts from safety.

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

One month on and they've yet to win since this post. 9 teams now within 6 points of each other at the bottom. Palace at the top of that mini-league and only 5pts from safety.

And yet they are still 5 places above the relegation zone. That tells you everything. Suggestions of Leicester and Palace being involved are just nuts in my opinion. There's not a cat in hells chance either will go down. They both have quality and several match winners, despite their poor points haul to date. Same for Wolves and West Ham.

You have to be so so so so bad to get relegated and can literally not win a game for months and still be out of danger. 

Still think Bournemouth and Southampton are the certs and then it's one from Everton or Leeds. Forest could get dragged in but again, they have a few match winners that will get them points.

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

And yet they are still 5 places above the relegation zone. That tells you everything. Suggestions of Leicester and Palace being involved are just nuts in my opinion. There's not a cat in hells chance either will go down. They both have quality and several match winners, despite their poor points haul to date. Same for Wolves and West Ham.

You have to be so so so so bad to get relegated and can literally not win a game for months and still be out of danger. 

Still think Bournemouth and Southampton are the certs and then it's one from Everton or Leeds. Forest could get dragged in but again, they have a few match winners that will get them points.

Agreed on all of the above really. I think it is looking ominous for Bournemouth. They're getting worse at just the wrong time, so as much as they're still within touching distance, they need to get some wins before that's no longer the case. They need Solanke back scoring asap.  Southampton, on probability, I agree are next most in danger but they are playing well and they do have match winners so they have the means, but so does everyone else. The one that has improved most since Feb is Wolves. They are the form team of that little group. If they can find someone capable of scoring from the forward position then they won't know themselves.

When I saw just the bottom half of the table the other day it was lovely to see us right at the top of it on 34 points and then a big gap  between us and the 12th place team on 27 points. I like the thought of those 9 clubs below us and their fans also looking at the bottom half of the table and envying us. 🤭

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, robby b said:

When I saw just the bottom half of the table the other day it was lovely to see us right at the top of it on 34 points and then a big gap  between us and the 12th place team on 27 points. I like the thought of those 9 clubs below us and their fans also looking at the bottom half of the table and envying us. 🤭

I hate the fact that we've become a bottom half club.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Although I like Everton as a club I would like to see how they cope with the Championship.

They would add an extra dimension to the competition.

They could implode completely as Usmanov struggles to somehow get around the Russian sanctions to get money in for the new stadium. It is complicating any potential sale too. Moshiri should never have been approved as an owner as he is an obvious puppet of Usmanov.

8 hours ago, BOF said:

All Palace need to do really is beat Bournemouth and Everton at home (also still to play Forest at home although that's probably a nailed on 0-0).

Two wins and 3-4 draws and they're on 37 points with a far better GD than pretty much everyone below them.

Reminds me of second season under Lambert, we were awful for months but still reasonably safe in mid table and beat Hull at home near the end to confirm safety.

8 hours ago, BOF said:

tbh, Zaha was missing for the 4 or 5 games prior to us playing them, i think with Zaha back they will be fine.

Funny really, Zaha is to them, what Grealish was to us, ie: if they arent playing, the win chance drops off a cliff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, Zaha was missing for the 4 or 5 games prior to us playing them, i think with Zaha back they will be fine.

Funny really, Zaha is to them, what Grealish was to us, ie: if they arent playing, the win chance drops off a cliff.

Similar to Maddison's effectiveness for Leicester this season. Both teams lack threat without Zaha/Maddison, just like we were without Grealish.

Despite Palace's terrible form, if Zaha stays fit, they'll probably be okay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Similar to Maddison's effectiveness for Leicester this season. Both teams lack threat without Zaha/Maddison, just like we were without Grealish.

Despite Palace's terrible form, if Zaha stays fit, they'll probably be okay.

They drew 5 without him. They’re not the worst team, just not winning enough, but aren’t losing easily as well.

• Like 1

Palace recruited so we'll over the past two years, their squad was a mess but they invigorated it with youth. However that brings inconsistency and as pointed out without Zaha there are no goals.

There's a very fine line in this league between being an average side and one who can get relegated and generally that comes down to the lack of a goalscorer.

Wolves are in a similar boat, they aren't a bad side generally but have gone a full calendar year without a striker scoring, so they're in the mix.

Southampton's answer to goals is Che Adams or a JWP set piece.

Everton have been more solid but where do the goals come from, a Sean Dyche set piece goal?

Leciester for this reason don't stand a chance of being anywhere near going down come the 38th game imo, same with West Ham. 

Then there are teams like Leeds who can score but their kamikaze defending makes it all so irrelevant.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 14:36, BOF said:

Agreed on all of the above really. I think it is looking ominous for Bournemouth. They're getting worse at just the wrong time, so as much as they're still within touching distance, they need to get some wins before that's no longer the case. They need Solanke back scoring asap.  Southampton, on probability, I agree are next most in danger but they are playing well and they do have match winners so they have the means, but so does everyone else. The one that has improved most since Feb is Wolves. They are the form team of that little group. If they can find someone capable of scoring from the forward position then they won't know themselves.

They read your post and used it in their pre-match team talk.

• Like 1